A bad day...I have one Baker

Well I umped today at my brother 10u game. Kid comes up to catch and the first warmup catches him right in the forearm. I’m like hey that one get you. He’s like yeah and thats the 4th time I’ve gotten hit today. He must have been refering to his warmups because he just started to catch that inning. Well everything goes pretty good until hes up to bat. The balls at him and it hits him on the bottom of the bat and the first sound I heard was a tink then it must have hit his hand. His reaction didn’t show that he was even hurt. So I called foul ball and he didn’t argue it at all. His coach which happened to be his dad was a great guy the whole game but he was a little mad didn’t say much though. So the kid went up no argue and swung and missed. Well coach/dad said hey is your hand alright. So of course he shakes his head and says it hurts while his face shrivels up about to cry. Well he lets the last pitch go right down the middle strike three. So he starts crying. :roll: He comes back to catch sobbing but after a few pitches he gathers himself and seems fine. Ok now the classic little league homerun they send the kid home because most fielders never make the play to home and the ball was barely hit out of the infield lol. Well the catcher has the kid all day like 4 steps. I’m watching and I’m like please please please take a step out of homeplate and tag him before he slides. Sure enough the kid slides right under the kid and he was clearly safe I called him safe and the kid starts balling. I’m like great his dad didn’t argue the call I think he knew he was safe. Well this poor kid was hit 5 times and didn’t get the guy out when the throw beat him by like 4 steps. Your day can’t get much worse can it? Well my brothers team was winning and they were in trouble so they brought in their best pitcher who throws pretty hard to come in to pitch. Well this poor freaking kid comes up to the plate. Now he already got semi-hit today and the ball comes in pretty hard for a 10 year old. The kid doesn’t get out of the way in time. Square in the teeth. And when I mean square I mean square. I heard it and I’m like your kidding me. The kid goes down like he was shot. Screaming as loud as he could and both coaches come sprinting up to him and drag him off the field crying, sobbing, bleeding. I’m like dad buy your kid a whole tub of icecream because he had one rough game.

DA!

I know what getting hit in the face is like. (see my post in other forum)

Coach B. still has you beat

Oh it wasn’t a challenge. He asked if I had any and I said no. But now I have a story.

Idea

why dont we make a thread where we can post all of the stories w have to share, especially Coach B.

edit: My bad, Coach B already made one

Back in the 80’s I was in my third year of coaching LL and I had this kid…frail little blond boy, like 9yrs old, sang in the choir (I called him Elvis), well I had been working and working trying to get these boys to not step in the bucket when a good pitcher was on the mound and was having limited success…considering the age group…and well we’re playing the best kids in the league and their pitcher is humming the ball…Elvis comes up…I call time and walk in and sit there for a minute and try to calm him down and relax him…I remind him not to step out and he looks all confident and determined…goes back beats his bat on the plate and gets the most determined look on his face…he’s not budging…you could just tell…he was determined…next pitch?..right in the mouth…I mean couldn’t have been thrown harder or more directly…knocks Elvis for a no kidding back flip…blood, screaming…moms omg what a nightmare…
Of course after the entire fiasco…I’m just shaking my head…the league adopted cages on the front of helmets the next yr for 10u :roll: Elvis?..well he gave up on baseball…we saw him a couple of times after this…but never got in the box again.

It’s a bad day when your third base coach is wearing his home game uniform… a bleached white beauty with thing red stripes.

But during his dugout time he’s eating Cheeseto’s twists and every other minute he adusts his cup.

Geeshee louise… somebody get that guy off the field … will ya!

Lol, the third base coach is wearing a cup?

Talk about cup adjustment,
my son was pitching for a 15 and under AS team, we’re losing and it was getting to be a long night, we had this left hander who was a pretty good catcher, warming up between innings the umpire said something the catcher looks up and just then my son lets fly (Fly haha) with a 80 something mile per hour fb and it smokes on in there right between the old unprotected wickets (When the catcher looked away he dropped his glove :shock: )…we all hear this sick sounding crack sound and all of a sudden the catchers is flat on his back…clucking like a chicken…uhhhhluck, uuhhluck…uhhhhluck…shattered his cup…luckily the cup protected what was supposed to be protected, when he was helped to the dugout and as he sat there catching his breath…I looked at him and asked him what was the clucking all about…we had a good laugh…but everytime I see that kid to this day I cluck a couple of times (He didn’t quit…he has a scholarship with Flagler College in St. Augustine) :smiley:

The place I go to the winter indoors to play its hitting and fielding and the main coach there always wears a cup. He says he doesn’t trust us.

I almost hit the JV coach this year right in the balls. We were preparing for sectionals (playoffs) and he was up to help us out so he was doing infield hitting from inbetween first and home to the SS hole were a bunch of us were fielding and throwing to the kid next the JV coach. Well the JV coach is really a joke and hes kind of an idiot. We also had a guy hitting into the 2b hole from across the infield. Also to make it even more complicated the varsity coach was hitting outfield from inbetween the pitchers mound and 2nd. Well the JV coach hits me one but it almost hit the varisty coach and went inbetween him and the kid taking it in the 2B hole. Well I went to get it trying to dodge the flying balls from all over. Well right when I’m about to throw it into the kid catching for the JV coach I almost got hit with a ball and the varsity coach almost pegged me at the same time. Well of course I stopped looking but still threw it and it seriously went right inbetween his legs about knee high. I figured he’d get pissed and hit them hard to me after but I think he realized it wasn’t really my fault but more of his.

The place I go to the winter indoors to play its hitting and fielding and the main coach there always wears a cup. He says he doesn’t trust us.

I almost hit the JV coach this year right in the balls. We were preparing for sectionals (playoffs) and he was up to help us out so he was doing infield hitting from inbetween first and home to the SS hole were a bunch of us were fielding and throwing to the kid next the JV coach. Well the JV coach is really a joke and hes kind of an idiot. We also had a guy hitting into the 2b hole from across the infield. Also to make it even more complicated the varsity coach was hitting outfield from inbetween the pitchers mound and 2nd. Well the JV coach hits me one but it almost hit the varisty coach and went inbetween him and the kid taking it in the 2B hole. Well I went to get it trying to dodge the flying balls from all over. Well right when I’m about to throw it into the kid catching for the JV coach I almost got hit with a ball and the varsity coach almost pegged me at the same time. Well of course I stopped looking but still threw it and it seriously went right inbetween his legs about knee high. I figured he’d get pissed and hit them hard to me after but I think he realized it wasn’t really my fault but more of his.[/quote]

talk about the perfect practice.