9yr old pitching mechanics - HELP!

These are links to another 9 yr old pitcher I am coaching:
Side view

Rear view

Front view

I’ve already started working on getting his momentum started when his knee reaches its apex and I realize that his mechanics are not perfect; however, not only is his pitching very inconsistent (20% strikes) but he throws a lot of wild pitches. This 9 yr old averages 46 mph and has hit 50 mph and could be a dominate pitcher, but not with a 20% strike ratio.

The first thing that people will notice is that your pitcher is throwing from the wrong side of the rubber. This is forcing him to open up and throw across his body to throw to the plate. I would move him to the first base side of the rubber so that he can take a more direct route to the plate. Gage his positioning by the drag line from his right foot it should be in a straight line towards home plate. As with all kids practice practice practice is the key to throwing strikes!!!

Really not all that terrible for a young kid and I’m giving my advise based on his age and teaching him the basics of pitching.

IMO

#1. First of all I think his glove is to big and heavy for him to control and therefore messing with his balance. If you watch, it ends up in various locations after he throws and then quickly drops to his side. I like to see it end up in the chest area to belt area and held there through-out the follow-through.

#2. Where he starts on the rubber is immaterial. What is important is your line.
Jacob sets up in a stance with the front foot more toward third, still OK. When he lifts and then lowers his leg he is establishing his path to be to the third base side of the plate. I think he needs to be more in line with the center of his body. I’d start by eliminating the offset front foot. He can go back later once direction and balance are solidly engrained. This will keep him in balance and moving in a straight line to his target.

#3. I’d like to see a quicker upward movement on the take away of the ball. More of a quick swing up, it’s a personal preference. Again, this keeps everything in the proper line.

#4. You have a line drawn on the ground for him to follow to the target. He often steps to the left. I think the initial location of the front foot contributes to the swing that takes to foot that direction and he’s just gotten used to it landing there. He goes up, (offset) down (offset), out (offset), then changes direction and ends up to his left.

#5. Finally, I see his follow-through needs polishing. He’s quick to standup, sometimes as he’s throwing and often before he finishes his follow-through. His right hand also doesn’t stay on line. Look at where he goes after he releases the ball. Sometimes it’s at the belt, sometimes at the thigh but seldom at or below the knee, where I think it should be. I also think he’s head and eyes need to follow the ball to the target. I used to tell my kids, put your chin in the glove to give mental image of following the pitch to the target.

My summary: not real bad and a lot of his issues start with balance and direction. Fix those and then address the next action, there will always be something else.

I’m not a professional by any means, just a dad a few years ahead of where you are. I’m giving you several thousands of dollars of advice giving to my son through the years.

I like this kid’s mechanics. I’m not going to argue at all with the others who responded. My only comment is about the hesitation when the front foot comes back down from the knee lift. It seems as if someone has taught this kid, and another, to do this. Eliminate this pause by replacing it with a smooth, increasing tempo. No hesitations.

He looks great!! Eliminate the pause and let this boy practice some very nice mechanics, on the mound.