96 mph in Single A?

This past weekend I went to a Single A game and was surprised that the pitchers consistently threw in the low to mid 90s, basically 91-96. One guy hit 98.

My first thought was, “How the hell can you throw that hard and be only in Single A?”

Movement and control, I assume, right? These guys did have pretty flat-looking fastballs, and they got hit hard.

I read somewhere that you will find the fastest pitchers in Single A, with more 100 mph+ hurlers than anywhere else. Any truth to that?

There are multi-levels in the Affiliated Systems (MLB). There’s A-short season, A-advanced, and maybe something in between for one reason or another.

These levels are to help an amateur to adjust to the demanding life of professional baseball. All in all, tempering one’s self to a marathon of sorts of playing every day, for maybe over one hundred (100) games. Since many of these hopefuls come from the high school and college ranks, where forty (40) or sixty (60) games was the norm, most if not all of these high school and college pitchers have to pace themselves to an entirely different tempo of life. So I wouldn’t see it all that unusual to see some of these player popping out those kind of numbers trying to go full-bore.

But again, pacing one’s self is what the Minors is all about, but still getting the job done. Some do very well in this regard. Mid to upper nineties is not unusual – but, not constantly, pitch after pitch. There’s a pitch mixture of other pitches that doesn’t require 90+. In fact, it’s great to have a healthy guy rear back and howitzer one – but, a lot of these people have to be bridled to pace themselves.

Also in this population are pitchers that are sent down form another level.
These seasoned vets can command those numbers but, for whatever reason, they’re at A level ball to work things out. 90+ for these guys is no sweat.

Another factor that’s often overlooked is the fact that there is just so many slots open at the next level, so talent may be a fact of life for a lot of guys, BUT, waiting for an opening going up is another fact of life.

I’m not sure if I addressed your question.(?) I’m home briefly and I just popped in to read a few comments.

Coach B.

:shock:
Most of my questions have been answered also :wink:
What a great response. :smiley:

Thanks, Coach B. Yes, you answered my questions. I guess your comment “there is just so many slots open at the next level” really drives home the fact that even at 95 mph it can be a long, long shot at the Majors. :shock: Kids really need to focus on academics more, huh? :lol:

Great post Coach B glad to see you popping in.

throwing 90+ with exceptional secondary pitches is the way to make it to the next level. as long as you get guys out like lincecum, strasburg, tim collins did with great statistics then theres always a chance.

Strasburg?

hahahahahahahaahahahaha - You are a funny guy.

Avg FB velo is at its highest in any professional level at full-season A-ball, I’m pretty sure. Combination of fresh arms with no wear and tear and a lot of raw prospects.

Reminds of something I read with Clayton Kershaw where he was talking about his velocity being 96-97 in A and AA ball. He sits 93 or so now. He was saying he had to learn how to dial it back a bit to gain better control, perfect his mechanics and save his arm some wear. That would be a nice problem to have…dial it back to 93-94. Ha.

Another guy that has dialed it back a bit is Brandon Morrow. Most games he has it dialed back to 92-93 but when he needs to he can still touch 97-98