95% of pitching comes from Leg strength, and core developmen

Honestly i have seen so many kids try to throw hard.

Whenever you see someone reach back for a little bit of extra speed, the first thing they do is try to use more arm.

In my own experience i can tell you, that your legs and your core make up 95 percent of your velocity.

Here is why i believe this.

I haven’t thrown a single baseball in over a year time. I have been bodybuilding, hence i haven’t thrown at all. i kind of gave up baseball, but i am back into for the summer time.

Anyways i have been bodybuilding, so hence i have been working my legs out, with squats as well as working my back out with deadlifts and heavy weighted pullups.

Anyways: I haven’t thrown a single ball in a year right.

2 days ago i got radared. Last year i was throwing 85mph average and hit 89mph for a few pitches.

2 days ago i was clocked at 83mph. Thats after 1 year of not throwing a single baseball. I was also not in cleats, not on a mound and was throwing uphill as well. (i was in my backyard). I know for a fact, that with a month or two of getting back into things as well as being on a mound with a slight downward slope i have no doubts i will be able to hit 90mph consistently.

95 percent is a very exaggerated number. The overall strength of an individual does not make up 95 percent of velocity. Explosive and proper pitching mechanics are responsible for the majority of velocity. Examples: Aroldis Chapman, Tim Lincecum, and Roy Oswalt.

I have never seen a bodybuilder that can throw 95 mph.

I am a huge advocate of pitcher strength training, but refining the pitching mechanics should also be the number one priority.

You’re associating your velocity with the fact that you have been lifting heavier and more frequently. When in fact, you probably just naturally have good throwing mechanics.

1. how are you going to clock yourself at 83 mph and say that it is a “Fact” you’ll be sitting 90 soon?

2. how is it that a catcher can throw a ball from home to second base from his knees if only 5% of velocity comes from the arm? How does somebody snap throw 75 mph with just their arm? I would argue that arm action accounts for probably closer to 80% of velocity, upper half and core (including hips) combined is closer to 90%. This is based on the velocity that can be obtained from isolating these parts of the body in a throw. The final 10% is due to the actions of the legs, primarily the linear velocity that is generated towards the plate provided it is properly translated into rotational velocity via the hips.

95% is a grossly exaggerated number and flat out wrong.

The catcher from his knees is still using his core to help give him the velocity, but i do agree with you.

I don’t agree with the fact that only 10 percent of your velocity comes from your legs.

I think that i will hit 90mph soon, just from my own personal experience.

Last year when i first got radared, it was after 2 weeks of warming up, i hit 75mph, After 2 months or toward the end of the season i was consistently hitting 85mph to high 80’s.

Now this year i have never ever threw a baseball yet this season, i go ahead, and as of today hit 85mph. I have only been playing for 2-3 days.

If it was true that your arm makes 80percent of your velocity up, then i would have been alot slower than last year wouldn’t i of?

I mean i should be throwing low 70’s, shouldn’t i.

I have never threw a ball for 1 whole year, but i have been bodybuilding, and i have been squatting twice a week, and my legs have gained a huge amount of muscle and strength. thats my reason behind it, for my own experience anyways.

I agree with you about the catcher though

I think about it this way, throwing all arm will get you into the 80’s unless you have just terrible mechs, making it into the 90’s is a function of the entire body, including core , hips, legs.
What I do know is that you can concentrate too much on body building and actually reduce velocity, it is a fine line, Stevens buddy Kyle Farnsworth is imo a great example of a pitcher who actually lost muscle mass and became a much better pitcher.
Barry you have no magic bullet…except concentrated hard work, honest assessment, adjustment and desire…so the real “magic bullet” is the dedication and effort of a monk.

well said, JD. All the strength in the world is useless if you can’t tap into it during your delivery, be it from mechanical, flexibility limitations, etc.

I know plenty of guys that have gotten too tight and lost velocity, usually from bench pressing. The pecs are a horizontal adductor and internal rotator of the humerus…you can see why tight pecs would inhibit horizontal abduction (scap loading) and humeral external rotation (forearm layback), both of which are critical to achieving high velocities.

Well said jd and lanky

When I was a kid I used to go to Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would sit in the upper deck behind home plate and watch the pitchers as they worked out and warmed up. I particularly noticed the Big Three of the Yankees’ pitching rotation, and here’s what I saw: every one of them was driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso, and that was how they were all generating the power behind their pitches. In the process they were taking a lot of pressure off the shoulder and the arm so that both of those were, it seemed, just going along for the ride. I saw this, and I made a note of it and started working on this on my own—and being a sidearmer certainly didn’t hurt. Well, maybe I didn’t have the velocity, but I acquired very good control and command of the stuff I had. This is an excellent way to develop the core strength and flexibility. 8) :slight_smile:

Its all one big synced up motion, you can generate a ton of power from the ground but it all has to be translated throw the body all the way to the tips of the fingers, poor mechanics in any part of your body can cause that energy to leak out. Having strong legs can help make the throwing motion easier on the arm, but its all one system

EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!!!
You have to drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, so that the energy flows all the way up through the shoulder and the arm—yes, to the finger tips. So, among other things, you can throw harder with less effort—and that makes it easier on the arm. When I was working on this I also discovered that my natural sidearm delivery had more snap to it. :slight_smile: 8)