90 mph?

if u throw about 70 now at 15 do u think u ca still break the 90 mph mark?

In my personal opinion yes, you could atleast get into the upper 80’s ballpark eventually, with a lotta hard work and commitment. While I do think they’re are guys born with naturally better arms, as there are kids that can naturally jump higher, I think you can work to throw harder.

Just if you look at 15 year olds there are very few sitting in the 80’s even, and the ones that are have generally been shaving since the 5th grade.

At 15 is when a lotta kids can start fitting into their frame and lifting, and doing a lot of intense training activities. I would say 70, give or take a couple miles per hour in either direction is middle of the road, so who’s to say, working harder than the majority won’t get you throwing harder than the majority.

I like this A-rod quote, and it’s about dead on, beause hindsight is 20/20 foresight is not.

“Enjoy your sweat because hard work doesn’t guarantee success, but without it, you don’t have a chance.”
~ Alex Rodriguez

That is solid advice. Solid work can accomplish just about anything. I found it interesting watching a game today on ESPN and they said that Mark Buerhle had actually been CUT from his freshmen and sophomore baseball teams in high school.

Keep your head up and keep working hard and I am sure you will be in the high 80’s to lower 90’s in a couple years. It’s all about how bad you want it.

I’m 21, i throw about 80, coming back from a shoulder injury…I’ve been doin more rotator cuff specific exercises then ever before and my arm’s feeling really good. I wasn’t allowed to throw for virtually the whole winter because of my injury and my arm is also feeling fresher then ever…up until this winter I had been playing baseball year around since i was 11.

I just recently started throwing with full force and I’m hoping to get my velocity up to 90mph too

I need to develop a more consistent throwing regimine during the week. Right now I’m only long tossing once because I’m coaching baseball and I also practice, both of which I will throw some in batting practice

im sure you could, i throw/ pitch as much as possible when im able to. and i started pitching last year and my velocity was at 65 mph and now ayear later i occassionaly hit 88 but mostly sit at 85. but i dont overdue it too much. i just love to pitch. and if u work hard and and stick with it it will go up. good luck pal.

Just pitch ALL the time. Everything comes together when you do these things. Watch a game on ESPN, and analyze what the starting pitchers are doing because in most cases they know what the hell they are doing and you’ll learn something from them.

That’s very true. When watching baseball, it feels like im tuning up my baseball memory. I try to focus on one thing the pitcher is trying to do (leg push, release point, lead arm) and then see how they react to the count.

I could watch Baseball all day long. It’s like you see something new every game.

90MPH is all and well target to shoot for. Just remember that you have to control and change the speed of the pitch. I watched a HS game the other day. The kid that I was so impressed with only hit 85mph with his fastball. But his chage up and other off speed was outstanding. He only gave up three hits in 7 innings. The his was floaters that just found a hole.

[quote=“bringtheheat”]

I could watch Baseball all day long. It’s like you see something new every game.[/quote]

Exactly.

It is an aweful, horrible, crying shame that Greg Maddux has won ALL THOSE GAMES without a 95 mph fastball. Infact, he is barely breaking 90 on a good day these days, and yet he still continues to win.

Infact, he does not have a devestating bender either. He should not be allowed to win all those games without over powering stuff.How does he do it? Batters try to stop him, but he keeps getting them out.

Guys, figure out how Maddux does it, and you will be a pitcher.

command,command, command,

( Ian wonders off, muttering to himslef about the evil miss use of the jugs gun…)

Maddux wins because he has oustanding command and put great movement on the ball. He also changes speeds well and he throw his other pitches good to keep the hitters off balances trying to guess wat he will throw.

Completely true about Maddux, but it’s also true if your right handed you have to be around 90 to get looked at for the pros.

I forget who it was, but the guy on here that tried out for a pro team after taking several years off, said you had to hit 88 to get to throw on the field.
(luckily he did)

I thiniik most on here realize velocity is overrated but still, unfortunately guys that throw hard get breaks.

The old UK QB also pitched, threw about 95 with a 9 ERA, he got drafted in the 20th, and 21st rounds, neither time was here any signability. But he got drafted because they thought he could throw the ball and they could teach him the rest.

I myself am a control pitcher though, and Maddux would be my favorite.

As much as its nice to think that you can work hard and get up to 90, I don’t think it’s universally true … Look at the guys with bad mechanics who pitch 90, and compare them to guys of the same size and build/proportions who have good mechanics and can’t throw as hard as the guy with good mechanics … Or, why is it that you’ll have a guy who’s smaller with good mechanics who aren’t throwing as hard as bigger guys with bad mechanics …

Look at the guys with bad mechanics who pitch 90, and compare them to guys of the same size and build/proportions who have good mechanics and can’t throw as hard as the guy with good mechanics

I mean … who have bad mechanics

Holy shhhh…I can’t get this stated right… Here’s what I mean:

Look at the guys with BAD mechanics who pitch 90, and compare them to guys of the same size and build/proportions who have GOOD mechanics and can’t throw as hard as the guy with BAD mechanics

im 15 and throw in the 80s but i really gained alot this winter i think its more about growth and development.

As long as your mechanics are good,
you should eventually be able to throw 90s.