90 Degrees or Less

Should the arm be at 90 degrees or less than when throwing the ball? When I do try to throw it at less than 90 degrees I get wild.

then dont do it :shock: …

no it shouldn’t be 90 degrees. if you do that then your pushing the ball. Your arm should be flat or almost flat at release.

I mean when passing through the high cocked position.[/img]

why not just look at a couple clips in the video section? That will answer your question 9 times out of 10.

Well Andrew, I’ve noticed that you seem to be a fan of Roy Oswalt (as am I), so I’ll say this.

Here, Oswalt’s high-cocked pos. is less than 90 degrees. Yet, as his shoulders begin to turn, his hand doesn’t remain at that angle, it shortens to less than 90.

Then,

[quote=“ltdan”]Well Andrew, I’ve noticed that you seem to be a fan of Roy Oswalt (as am I), so I’ll say this.

Here, Oswalt’s high-cocked pos. is less than 90 degrees. Yet, as his shoulders begin to turn, his hand doesn’t remain at that angle, it shortens to less than 90.

Then,

[/quote]

the first oswalt picture im pretty sure is more than 90 degrees :roll:

its not a big deal there no certain point where it should be… and no it has nothing to do with pushing the ball, roger clemens, greg maddux, johan santana to name a few are pitchers that have thier arm less that 90 degrees… on the other hand justin verlander and roy oswalt are ones that comes to mind that have it more that 90 degrees, jeff francis is one that has exactly 90 degrees… however it feels better with you is what you should use

You shouldn’t obsess too much about the actual degree. It only becomes a problem if you are excessive on one end or the other of the spectrum. I once asked ASMI about it’s effect on shoulder stresses and the answer they gave was that an extreme of either sort may increase stresses. A bit one way or the other isn’t an issue.

That’s what I meant, sorry. Still, I said the other one was less than 90, so I’m sure you get the point.

[quote=“ltdan”]Well Andrew, I’ve noticed that you seem to be a fan of Roy Oswalt (as am I), so I’ll say this.

[/quote]

Amen to that.

looks to me like oswalt is at about 135’ of elbow flexion. if i remember properly, maddux is about 45’ of elbow flexion. he brings the ball close to his head. 45’ is much more flexion than 135’.

I don’t know if you read any of what I wrote, but he obviously has less than 90 degrees has his shoulders actually rotate.

So when his shoulders rotate his arm goes inward?

So when his shoulders rotate his arm goes inward?[/quote]

not on purpose, its a cause of throwing hard, the weight of the ball and the forearm cause it to lay back while the shoulders turn, it is not something to want to really focus on (meaning dont try to make it inward), when the shoulders decelerate, the forearm catches up and the arm is extended almost 180 degrees at release point