9 yo Lead Toe Closed

Hi,

Read Steve’s book, it has helped a lot.

My son is 9, left handed, just a quick question. I did search on this and did not come up with anything.

His lead leg lands closed to the plate and a bit to the right. After landing he turns the foot (L to R) and finishes.

Should the toe be pointed exactly at home plate when landing, then remain pointed thru finish? Or if his balance and posture are good, should I just forget about the landing foot position in relation to home plate as long as it is close to center?

Thanks,
Rich
NJ

I was re-reading dynamic balance, I think I answered my own question. Thanks!

From my personal experience, slightly closed is preferred, then when the hips turn, the front foot will rotate the rest of the way to the forward position. Leaving a small toe cleat rainbow :smiley:

Trying to land straight on or open will prematurely open the hips and sap the energy from the leg drive. The outside of the lead leg should be facing home plate for as long as possible to keep the hips closed.

Anyone else care to jump in?

[quote=“CoachPaul”]From my personal experience, slightly closed is preferred, then when the hips turn, the front foot will rotate the rest of the way to the forward position. Leaving a small toe cleat rainbow :smiley:

Trying to land straight on or open will prematurely open the hips and sap the energy from the leg drive. The outside of the lead leg should be facing home plate for as long as possible to keep the hips closed.

Anyone else care to jump in?[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote=“R3Wood”][quote=“CoachPaul”]From my personal experience, slightly closed is preferred, then when the hips turn, the front foot will rotate the rest of the way to the forward position. Leaving a small toe cleat rainbow :smiley:

Anyone else care to jump in?[/quote]

Thank you.[/quote]

What Coach Paul describes is same my sons pitching coach teaches.

Landing position of the front foot - if not too extreme one way or the other - is a non-issue. If you look at MLB pitchers, you will see it all.

What would concern me more is the reason why the foot changes position after planting. It might be nothing. But you have to look at it in relation to everything else. I’d pay particular attention to posture and balance. And starting position on the rubber and stride direction.

Landing slightly closed is not a bad thing. I actually prefer to land slightly closed.
Turning his foot after landing is probably related to balance and lack of stability.