9 year old son. Windup behind head

Hello,

I appologize in advance for the video, but its the only one i have that shows him in the game situation. He throws a lot harder and better when in practice and it earned him his first a chance to come in and pitch during a game (other pitchers were all 10). Unfortunately it was his only game he got to pitch in all season. The video is a good example of what seems to happen though, one minute it is fairly straight, next minute the ball is going into the dugout.

I know the first problem is the guy behind the plate with the camera yelling at him, and I am working on that. :roll:

First question I had is, his hands behind his head…Is this ok or should I be correcting him on it. Its just what he has always done.

Thanks for any help or tips you can give me on this.

He’s just getting excited, nothing to worry about. Look around locally for your colleges or Jr. Colleges…even high schools have fundemental camps. Let him get comfortable with the idea about being on the bump and work on simple mechanics. The hand thing is ok, he’s just copying what he thinks pitchers do. It is a bad idea to try to keep his attention with your voice while he’s out there…think about it, he’s trying to concentrate on what he’s doing and listen to you at the same time as you are the most authoritive voice he knows in life (Don’t worry I’m as guilty as anyone about that…but I was the coach too).
He looks like a pistol :smiley:
Let it all be about fun…as he gets older and more interested the natural competitive spirit you obviously have will come out in him.

Hi.

At that angle to and distance from the pitcher it’s hard to see well, but from what I can tell, here’s my two cents:

1. His back step is way too long. Around here with the young pitchers we call it a “baby step”, that is, it should be no longer than the length of the pitcher’s foot or so. Stepping back as far as your son does may be throwing him off balance and not helping his accuracy.

2. Has he ever pitched from the stretch? Many consider the stretch the place to start with young pitchers (I do). He looks like a strong kid and the stretch will not cause any decrease in velocity and should increase his control.

3. When he breaks, his throwing arm comes out of the glove laterally, not down and back. This may be causing him to short arm his throws.

4. In some pitches (e.g., first pitch) he appears to take a very short stride. The stride should be, in length, more or less his height.

5. In other pitches (e.g., third and fourth pitches) he appears to land open, with the stride foot landing not toward home plate but toward the first base line. This is why the ball goes wide toward the first base line on those pitches. In fact, if you look at those pitches carefully, the ball goes straight in the direction his body is lined up as a result of opening up! The ball goes where it’s supposed to go!

6. Make sure his pivot foot is squared up against the rubber. A lot of young kids keep their pivot foot at a slight (10 degree or so) angle to the rubber, causing them to open up when they stride.