9 year old LL pitcher. Tell me how he looks, honestly

This video is my kid brother pitching in the backyard. He is a 9 year old LL pitcher. Probably the best on his 9-11 team, which is the Minor league one step below Majors. It is just LL, and I’m not looking for anything crazy, but I don’t know much about pitching and I just don’t want him to hurt himself. If it’s not too much trouble, watch the video and tell me if you see anything glaringly wrong. Ideally I’d like him to pitch his own way, and it seems to work, but I just wanted to know if there are any red flags here.

I would start with keeping his glove up. Have him place his glove out in front of his chest over his plant foot and move to his glove. I would also try to get him to lengthen his stride. Im no pro, im just a dad with 9 year old son. Im sure you will get some good advice from this site.

for a longer stride that is more in balance i would try a thought that this forum gave me recently that works well.

once his knee is up, have him start to fall butt first towards home plate. once he is falling butt first, have him try to throw the lead leg towards home plate as far as he can. this will give him a longer stride and help him keep his weight on the back leg a little longer.

there are many things you can show him but i suggest only working on one thing at a time until it’s mastered. we made the mistake of trying too many things too soon and my son’s accuracy is terrible right now. in the end he will be a better pitcher…but he will suffer through this season (which is no fun).

A couple of things I notice with this young man:

1. he looks like he’s getting a running start. Not a bad idea for producing momentum, but not real great for control. Pitching - above all else in my opinion - is about control. Being able to put a ball within inches of your desired target - consistently. With the amount of momentum he generates at the beginning he should be striding about 110% of his height! I think the only reason his stride is short is because all of his weight is falling forward too early in the delivery. it might be a good idea to take him out of the wind-up and put him in the stretch. It may be easier for him to keep his weight back over his plant foot longer and explode after the stride leg touches down.

2. he is really cutting off his follow through. Some of this may be due to having so much momentum going forward that he is recoiling to remain in a standing position! Item 1 above will help out some with this, but he will need to concentrate on following through as well. With his arm slot I would think he should be following through to his to his stride leg knee.

3. Glove side stability - this is all about control. He does a good job of getting his glove out in front of him as he strides, but then it just falls away to the side. This can cause all sorts of balance issues and thus control issues. Have him keep that glove in the same position throughout the delivery and let his body come to the glove. Once the shoulders start rotating, just let the glove side elbow drop - turning the open part of the glove facing you and let your chest go to the glove.

4. Some of the good things I see:
    a. he counts his pitches. At least I think that is a counter he is clicking after each pitch.
    b. he keeps his head on target. He looks like he does a pretty good job of keeping his head moving towards his target. This is extremely important for control.
    c. his delivery - though flawed is consistent. Once he develops some better mechanics this consistency will be invaluable.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

1. He should receive his signs from the windup.

2. His glove is flying around quite a bit. Keep it neutral by tucking it in on his rib cage.

3. Don’t let him lose his balance on his follow through.

4. Start his windup with his heels in front on the rubber.

Other than that, he’s a young Tim Lincecum!