8yr old - New to Pitching Appreciate any Tips/Critiques/FBak

First and foremost, thank you for the wealth of knowledge that I have gained through this site and its members in helping my son develop his pitching. He currently plays in a Pony League where all baseball rules apply. Being a lefty, coach wants to start him pitching. He is playing with 9 and 10 yr olds and has not pitched in a game yet just practice. I try to help him with what I can and have learned on this site but more expert advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys for taking time out of your schedule to help both me and my son improve his game.

[/youtube]

Not sure if this will help, but here’s the advice and the only rule my 2 year old son is given. His intent will center around trying to throw the ball hard until he’s at least 12 years old. After that, I will introduce him to the finer points of pitching and skill work.

Ability comes before skill at my son and your son’s age. Right now, you’re son is ingraining critical movement patterns that will last with him throughout his career. Focus on ability before skill, he has plenty of time to pitch. Spend more time focusing on throwing.

You have to crawl before you walk, throw before you pitch. However, most coaches teach pitching, learn to be a pitcher first, don’t worry about throwing hard.

How backwards is that concept???

Oh, and then there’s this one:
“You never forget how to throw hard, so let’s focus on pitching.”

Huh??

Most kids never learn to throw hard because they are too busy trying to refine a skill without the ability to do so.

Focus on ability, allow his intent to be the primary driver and you will be glad you did down the road.

Take it from these guys:

http://baseballthinktank.com/ingredient-1-is-intent/

[quote=“Baseballthinktank.com”]Not sure if this will help, but here’s the advice and the only rule my 2 year old son is given. His intent will center around trying to throw the ball hard until he’s at least 12 years old. After that, I will introduce him to the finer points of pitching and skill work.

Ability comes before skill at my son and your son’s age. Right now, you’re son is ingraining critical movement patterns that will last with him throughout his career. Focus on ability before skill, he has plenty of time to pitch. Spend more time focusing on throwing.

You have to crawl before you walk, throw before you pitch. However, most coaches teach pitching, learn to be a pitcher first, don’t worry about throwing hard.

How backwards is that concept???

Oh, and then there’s this one:
“You never forget how to throw hard, so let’s focus on pitching.”

Huh??

Most kids never learn to throw hard because they are too busy trying to refine a skill without the ability to do so.

Focus on ability, allow his intent to be the primary driver and you will be glad you did down the road.

Take it from these guys:

http://baseballthinktank.com/ingredient-1-is-intent/[/quote]

Outstanding!

You my friend have it going on.

Kudos to you.