8th grader video analysis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quFn7IVIqSw

My son made the cut for his 8th grade school baseball team. First game is in two weeks. What does he need to do to get ready for the opener? Any suggestions are appreciated.

He only throws a 2 seam FB (75 mph on professional gun), 4 seam and CU.

He has been taught to pitch exclusively from the stretch, as shown in the video. Back leg is preloaded.

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, learn to pitch from the wind-up throw strikes, and change speeds. Mabey start to learn a curveball to mix in there or something. Be confident, even if you have a bad inning, or game, or whatever it may be.

Throwing from the full isn’t absolutely necessary, maybe offer it to him, and get him to try it and have him go from what he likes the best. I think it would be good to stay away from the curve since he is in 8th grade, but also stress being accurate with him. I was also thinking maybe have him get in the habit of his pivot foot getting to the ground, because a couple of times in the beginning he left it hanging there, it may or may not become a habit, but if it does happen it could affect his fielding, I’m not sure on that, but just a thought and a suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback!

Good point about the pivot foot…

Brian

Your son has something that almost no one who has posted a clip on this website possesses… he knows how to throw the ball ( arm action). This is also validated by his velocity (8th grader throwing 75 mph).

I wouldn’t change a thing right now, especially anything having to do with the pivot foot.

For someone who has not done a lot of pitching I would suggest having him work out a stretch until he becomes more comfortable on the mound (game situations).

Other than that I wouldn’t change a thing, at least not until you get some videotape of him throwing under game conditions.

I will also say that the quickest way to potentially screw up your son’s pitching future is to worry too much about making him a pitcher at this stage of his development. And more specifically listening to any Tom, Dick or Chris’s opinion as to what you should or should not do.

as a set of all the players that I’ve viewed posted on this website your son has some of the best throwing abilities.

As usual my not so humble opinions. :evil:

As usual, I completely disagree with Paul’s opinion.

While your son certainly throws hard, your son’s Pitching Arm Side elbow gets too high because he breaks his hands with his elbows (aka Inverted W). His PAS elbow looks something like this…

I believe that this increases the risk that he will have shoulder (and possibly elbow) problems.

I would…

1. Watch out for any sign of shoulder soreness.
  2. Make sure that his shoulder is well-conditioned.

Google Throwers Ten and/or buy Steven’s book “Tuff Cuff”.

[quote=“coachxj”]Your son has something that almost no one who has posted a clip on this website possesses… he knows how to throw the ball (arm action). This is also validated by his velocity (8th grader throwing 75 mph).

I wouldn’t change a thing right now, especially anything having to do with the pivot foot.

For someone who has not done a lot of pitching I would suggest having him work out a stretch until he becomes more comfortable on the mound (game situations).

Other than that I wouldn’t change a thing, at least not until you get some videotape of him throwing under game conditions.

I will also say that the quickest way to potentially screw up your son’s pitching future is to worry too much about making him a pitcher at this stage of his development. And more specifically listening to any Tom, Dick or Chris’s opinion as to what you should or should not do.

as a set of all the players that I’ve viewed posted on this website your son has some of the best throwing abilities.

As usual my not so humble opinions. :evil:[/quote]

Paul-

Thanks for the feedback. My boy recently took several pitching lessons from a pitching coach with the Yankees organization. He works with kids in the offseason. The instructor told me privately that my son has one of the two best “arms” he has worked with.

I took a look at your website:
http://www.setpro.com/index.html

Very impressive stuff!

My son made the cut for his 8th grade team. The coach spent the first week evaluating the kids for the cut. They didn’t do any pitching, so we don’t know whether he’ll even be asked to pitch!

Brian

[quote=“coachxj”]

As usual, I completely disagree with Paul’s opinion…[/quote]

Chris-

Thanks for the feedback. I spent some time on your website. You have reviewed quite a few different training models.

Are you familiar with the Fletcher training model?
http://www.fletchspen.net/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

My boy was struggling with his schoolwork several years ago. The school said he might be adhd and wanted us to see a doctor about the possibility of getting a prescription for Ritalin. We took him to a private learning center for an evaluation. They suggested 13 sessions on a device called Interactive Metronome to help with his adhd. One of the reported secondary benefits of IM, is improved athletic performance. It seemed to help my son. He does pretty well in three sports.

I see where Fletcher uses a new, single-user IM product as part of his training model.

Brian

quote]While your son certainly throws hard, your son’s Pitching Arm Side elbow gets too high because he breaks his hands with his elbows (aka Inverted W). His PAS elbow looks something like this…

I believe that this increases the risk that he will have shoulder (and possibly elbow) problems.[/quote]

Chris-
Above is a snapshot from my boy’s video. It appears that my son’s elbow is level with his shoulder, not elevated as shown in your example. I’m confused. :?:

Brian

[quote=“Bretzke”]

Chris-
Above is a snapshot from my boy’s video. It appears that my son’s elbow is level with his shoulder, not elevated as shown in your example. I’m confused.[/quote]

The frame I’m talking about is a couple after the one you posted. Try going frame by frame through the video.

hes not sittinginto his pitch what so ever