88 pitches in one game in little league?

Hi,

I read on one of the little league websites that a 11 year old boy threw a complete game, 88 pitches to lead his team to victory. I know lots of teams just let their aces go a full game just to win. They don’t understand pitch counts at this age. Do you think that is going to far?

[quote=“dlink”]Hi,

I read on one of the little league websites that a 11 year old boy threw a complete game, 88 pitches to lead his team to victory. I know lots of teams just let their aces go a full game just to win. They don’t understand pitch counts at this age. Do you think that is going to far?[/quote]nope, its fine i think, as long as their not throwing curveballs, i think its fine, as long as they take the right postgame routines to keep their arm in the proper shape and maintain no pain, it depends on the pitcher as well, if hes a kid that has a strong arm, let him go about that far, if hes smaller and weaker, then maybe lower it a little, and i believe i have seen threads like this, dlink, use the search feature!!!its annoying

Hey Tanner,

Yes they throw Curveballs. They teach them to throw a 4 seem fastball, 2 seem fastball, changeup and curveball at the age of 10 years old. I think i’m the only coach who goes by the pitch count.

In my opinion, 88 pitches is too much for an 11 y.o. kid. I try to keep my 13’s around 70-75.

[quote=“dlink”]Hey Tanner,

Yes they throw Curveballs. They teach them to throw a 4 seem fastball, 2 seem fastball, changeup and curveball at the age of 10 years old. I think i’m the only coach who goes by the pitch count.[/quote] :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: wow, dont dont dont dont dont start them on curveballs yet!!! save their arms man, dont let them throw curves, one of my teammates started throwing a begginers curve at 11, he hurt his arm when he was 13, hasnt been able to play and hes 18, keep that in mind, i never threw my curve til i was just about 16

I agree with not allowing them to throw the curveball. I would wait till about 14-15, or even 16 before experimenting with it. Although, from experience, I was throwing a curveball at age 12, and using it during my games. I’ve yet to experience any arm problems.

My coach had me go 164 pitches in a tournament game. I’m not sure why he didnt take me out sooner. I gave up 11 unearned runs that game. I guess he felt like I should get to finish it out, because I was pitching ok and my defense wasnt backing me up. But boy was my whole body tired after that. 164 pitches in the game+50 Warm up pitches in between innings+30 Warm up pitches before the game. 244 pitches–not even including the plain throws I did just to warm up at the very beginning.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Dude thats a lot of pitches also you forgot the throws to first second or third on pickoffs or when the ball is hit to you

I think there were 3 or 4 balls hit back to me and maybe 10 pick off throws. I usually throw about 30 tosses to losen up at the very beginning. so 244+3+10+30=287.

Plus usually I throw low 60’s when I’m starting. But after a while I got fed up with trying to be a contact pitcher like I usually do and I was throwing 70 or so. I was so tired–my final line looked like this.

IP-7
H-9
ER-2
R-13
BB-2
K-9

and…

16 errors made behind me.

[quote=“Hoovedawg”]I think there were 3 or 4 balls hit back to me and maybe 10 pick off throws. I usually throw about 30 tosses to losen up at the very beginning. so 244+3+10+30=287.

Plus usually I throw low 60’s when I’m starting. But after a while I got fed up with trying to be a contact pitcher like I usually do and I was throwing 70 or so. I was so tired–my final line looked like this.

IP-7
H-9
ER-2
R-13
BB-2
K-9

and…

16 errors made behind me.[/quote]

Dude that’s Almost as bad as my team

My team seriously can’t pick up a ball. And when they do they don’t know what to do with it. Our 1st baseman fielded a hard ground ball a few steps away from the base and the runner beat him to the base. It was one of the most pathetic things I have seen in my baseball career.

:shock: Dude That would suck. 1 time the team I was playing against had the ball BOUNCE OFF the first baseman and roll away and he ran to the bag and waited for some1 to get it. My 2nd baseman couldn’t field a ground ball :evil:

When I was 10 (second year of kid pitch) I threw 5 innings with 60 some pitches to win the game 7-3

In a 11 and 12 y/o provincal championship game one of the pitchers threw a 6 inning 140 pitch loss and his dad was absoultly furious at the coach for not pulling the kid