8-Year-old training

My son (he will be 8 at the end of the month) is on his All-Star team. We play catch, practice pitching and he plays with the kids in the neighborhood. I don’t want to wear him out before games or have him throw too much. His tournament starts tomorrow (Wednesday). Any suggestions?

They have a 7 year old all star team? Hmmm…

Well, I would have him take it easy outside of games. He probably shouldn’t be throwing more than 100 pitches a week, so he should save them for when they count (in the games). If he is bored, why not practice hitting? A lot of the time kids will be going up against opposing pitchers that are better than any they face in the regular season. Get him in a higher speed cage (50-55 mph) just in case he sees that velocity in his games.

In Pony, he is in the 8-under division. Most of the kids are older than him.
He does bat. He pitches, he slides. He fields. Anything that has to do with baseball, he enjoys. He even plays along with the pros while watching the games on TV.

[quote=“Keith”]My son (he will be 8 at the end of the month) is on his All-Star team. We play catch, practice pitching and he plays with the kids in the neighborhood. I don’t want to wear him out before games or have him throw too much. His tournament starts tomorrow (Wednesday). Any suggestions?[/quote]training for a 7 year old!!! are you crazy, let the kid play ball and dont try to do too much, you dont need to start training til hes maybe 14 15 years old, maybe start a running thing when he starts little league, but no WEIGHTS TIL HES ABOUT 15 16, you dont want to start weights until the kids start developing!

Yea, training for a kid that age is kind of rediculous. Just let him go out, play baseball, and have fun while it lasts. It will start to get serious as he gets older.

Maybe training was the wrong word to use. I’m not talking about weights. I wanted to know more so I don’t do the wrong thing. Should I let him pitch until he’s tired (just an example) or only let him practice for 20-pitches every other day. You can see from my post that I let him “be a boy and play” so you can stop the name calling. I asked the question because I want to know. Thank you!!!

[quote=“Keith”]Maybe training was the wrong word to use. I’m not talking about weights. I wanted to know more so I don’t do the wrong thing. Should I let him pitch until he’s tired (just an example) or only let him practice for 20-pitches every other day. You can see from my post that I let him “be a boy and play” so you can stop the name calling. I asked the question because I want to know. Thank you!!![/quote]who called any names?

keith, i think the best approach for this age is just to let the kid play with the team and his friends, theres really no need to pitch in between starts because his arm isin’t even close to getting strong and this wont really help to much of an extent, i think you should let him pitch in games period, if he has mechanical issues then maybe you can throw in a couple sessions now and then, but other than that this age should just concentrate on having fun, i thought you meant weights at first and i was like :shock: , but just keep him going and make sure he has fun thats the key at this age

I am asking because some coaches come out with this drill and that drill. I want to know so I can tell if something is a good or bad idea. From earlier posts I read about the debate of weighted baseballs. My son told me last week that his coach had him throw with one. I got concerned because I don’t think that is necessary. Before that I hadn’t heard one way or the other about weighted balls. I feel the need to be as informed as I can so if I see something I don’t think is right, I have the knowlege to back up my opinion. I know he is young so this is the time for ME to learn.

weighted balls for this age is ridiculas, his arm will be shot by the time he gets developed and you wont see what he was really capable of

This is why I hate the majority of little league coaches. You give them a clipboard and they immediately think that a game for 7 and 8 year olds is the world series. Weighted balls for a 7 year old is stupid. He is probably already throwing as fast as his body can handle, so the coach is going to cause an injury. The benefits would be so miniscule at his age and the risk isnt worth it.

Go back to the practice and tell that coach where he can stick his weighted balls :wink: No matter what you think about weighted ball programs (I am a supporter), you don’t force other people’s kids to do it.

I wouldn’t do anything beyond what you are already doing.

If you do too much, you run the risk of making him too good, which will significantly increase the risk that he will injure himself (by exceeding the limits of his body).

I have an 11 year-old son (and coach two groups of 11 year-old pitchers) and we don’t do anything other than practice pitching a couple of times a week for 30 or 40 pitches at a stretch. During these sessions, we focus on location (down, down, down), control, and deception (e.g. changing speeds).

All of my pitchers are highly effective (even though some don’t throw all that hard), and that’s all I care about. In fact, some of my guys (including my son) have mechanical problems (e.g. hips not rotating far enough ahead of the shoulders) that I have decided not to fix at the moment because they don’t need the added velocity.

No.

Yes.

Chris, do you think throwing every other day is a good idea when he is in “tournament season”? I ask because, from my own experience, there are usually two to three games a week. Throw in one or two practices and the pitcher is essentially getting no rest days. So, while 20 every other day doesn’t sound like much, it is going to be in addition to all the other work his arm is doing.

Just wanted to get your opinion.

No.

You have to have some time off. That’s the only way the body will be able to heal (but don’t kid yourself about how much healing can take place with just one day’s rest).