60' 6" Works for You in So Many Ways

The distance that the batter has from you actually works in your favor, if you let it.

You incoming pitch travels over this distance and challenges the batter to manage many things at once. Those things that a batter must take into consideration are:

• the speed of the incoming pitch
  • the signature of that ball’s tendency
  • and the constant change in distance from the batter outward, thus requiring the batter to either commit to a swing, or, to let it go by.

No small stunt here for the batter. Eye and hand coordination are not easy things to do on such a small object like an incoming baseball.

So look, don’t make things anymore hard on yourself than they are. Strikes are working in your favor and so will the distance of 60’ 6", if you let that distance work for you. Below is a pictorial representation in simple terms.

http://s216.photobucket.com/user/CoachBaker/media/incoming_zps1bf794d8.jpg.html][img]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/incoming_zps1bf794d8.jpg[/img

How well I know, Coach B.! From the beginning I always threw that distance, and it was amazing, the things I could do with my pitches, from the curveball that came attached to my sidearm delivery to my extensive arsenal of stuff. And I had the greatest time working on my control and command of all those pitches and figuring out how to make the opposing batters look very stupid indeed. :slight_smile:

I should point out that the comments that I made above are general propositions and not applicable to all batters in a broad brush sense.

For instance, in the amateur game for many under the age of 15-16, it’s not all that unusual to find the slower bats and lower quality hitters in the lower range of the batting order. Thus, careful attention to the off-speed stuff facing slower bats has to be weighed carefully. On the other hand, some batters love the hard stuff, so heat with these batters can be hit a greater percentage of the time. As for location, some batters will take a posture in the box that just begs for a sinker or high and inside and so on.

And yet here’s another proposition for conversation - let the batter make a less than quality hit. In other words, pitches with a high percentage of results for a pop-up, fly out to the field, grounders 1-2-6-3, double play and other scenarios are also part of the what-to-pitch-and-when.

In essence, my original comments were meant to set the table for tweaking detail situations, befitting a moment in time.

As my wise and wonderful pitching coach told me when he was talking about strategic pitching: “Figure out what the batter is looking for—and don’t give it to him.” :slight_smile: [/GVideo]