5'10" junior striding almost 7'

What is going on with these odd youtube url’s, come on guys it’s got to at least be youtube.com of course I can’t find it with the web site being right either. OK fixed now.

Focusing on stride length is or shouldn’t be the focus. Stride length is a product of tempo and momentum and when a longer stride becomes the goal, hip rotation usually diminishes. Guys begin to block their hips and often crash into landing. Just let it happen.

I really like the way you explained that.

What we have found is a long stride’s only limiting factor is the amount of hip flexion the individual has. Momentum can be increased by lengthing the duration of the drift before the sweep leg has pasted the body. At that time the amount of stored energy in the post leg’s quads can fire and a triple extension is achieved thru the leg as the foot is drove into rubber. I do agree that trying to perform the splits without the needed velocity of the entire body would fail due to the fact too much weight would still be on the back foot at footstrike. The lack of force thru the front foot and into the hip would not snap the trunk open. Anthony’s goal of a longer and longer stride has been a work in progress since the winter of 2007. The longer his stride gets the closer he becomes to the batter (shorter reaction time). It also had the unexpected effect of the ball release well past his front foot. This process has not been easily achieved and not well recieved thru the local Coaching in our area. Most of them hate it! Last year Anthony led his team in innings pitched, Stike outs and ERA.

Looks really impressive, energetic and a bit intimidating. I would like to see his stretch, bet even a slow guy could steal on him if he still is insisting on that long a stride, really takes a lot of windup to get to that stride length.

How hard is this guy tossing?

It looks jerky to me.

Wow, congrats on the season!

The problem that I have found with guys that make the goal to be a longer stride is just that. They ending up accomplishing the goal of a longer stride. The end goal should be to throw the ball as effeciently as possible. To throw the ball we need more rotation, energy transfer/conversion. I don’t see much rotation or energy transfer at the end of the delivery, which is the most important. It’s not about how much energy or momentum we get early in the delivery, its how much are we able to convert to rotational power at the end. Great at the beginning and bad at the end. I see him crashing with the front leg/hip jamming and forcing him to catapult over the front leg. No transfer of any sort from back to front or bottom to top. I understand the perceptual velocity concept. However, at the end of the day, what’s more important, perception or reality?

bbtt.com I appreicate the comments and would like more insite to your observations. #1 transfer of the forward momentum to a rotational force. I assume you are talking about top half before ball release. Yea, I noticed that also. Stop the Video and you can see almost 90 degrees of hip shoulder seperation but your right. He somehow doesn’t seem to take advantage it. All of the ab muscles are loaded but the speed of the uncoil seems sluggish? I always thought that was a lack of athleticism and not mechanics. Anthony is a late bloomer and just now adding strength his peers had 2 years ago. We have been working on his glove side arm to help drive his shoulders and increase the speed of the uncoil but so far has only created control issues. His 12 o’clock ball release may be another reason for the weak uncoil as his glove side shoulder is dropped so low. I would like to keep the advantages of the stride and somehow marry that with an improved rotational approach. Suggestions and Thank you for the time.

Let me start by saying, hats off for all the hard work. What your son is doing is not easy. However, I think if he were to change some of his movement goals, he will get there. The goal is to link the shoulder rotation to the highest speeds of the hips. Everyone achieves this at a different time/space. I see your son’s upper body very linear because he is not connecting his hips to his arm action and a few othe factors.

I would start at the end of the delivery and begin with the hips in a fixed position. Ready to throw is the position I refer too. The back toe facing forward and front foot slightly closed and front leg has bend and firms up) to stabilize upper body. Movement goal is to rotate through the bal!!!

1. I would work backwards from release with the shoulders starting point facing the catcher and finish thru (rotate violently through)

2. 1/4 turn of shoulders, not open and not closed, and do the same thing. I would really focus on the glove side providing leverage and firming up allowing the shoulders to stay on their rotational path.

3. shoulders closed. At this point allow the back hip to begin rotating and then link up the shoulder rotation. Use a gun to give feedback.

I would strongly encourage your son to establish “feels” for the movement patterns he is changing. I think they work better than cues unless the player is establishing the cues. I will try and get you video.

The glove side is effected early and never catches up. Once the hands move backwards from the midline you create a longer path for the glove side vs the throwing side. However, from that angle its tough to really tell. I think the glove side coupled with the lack of energy transfer from the lower body is drastically affecting his rotation. His glove side works vertically while lower body is sweeping. I have seen this cause problems although not for everyone. I love the idea of the hands moving, rhythm.

Continue what your doing with the momentum and intent to get in a position to throw. You might find his highest rotational speeds may require a shorter stride to connect. Best of luck and let me know how it goes.

bbtt.com Was able to throw today in NW Ohio. No snow, not much mud. What you could not see from the video is Anthony’s foot plant has always been open. Straight in line with rear, but very open. It helps him finish without falling off to 1st base. This always worked very well until he started to attempt bracing up his front knee. As you can see from the video this is what we were working on and it wasn’t very pretty. He tried your suggestion about the slightly closed foot and it seemed to be an instant fix. The “brace up” seemed to be more of a cause and effect rather than something thats needs to be learned. He wasn’t trying to really bring it today but it did seem snap him around quicker and under much more control. Thanks for the info and will post the progress.

I agree that a ball that traveling 90MPH does it in less time when only traveling 53’ as opposed to 54’, but I’ve never done the math to see how much that difference is. Obviously you believe its very important, so can you tell us how much time that difference is, and what it translates to in velocity?

That is a trivial calculation.

Assuming a velocity of 132 ft/sec (90 mph), the ball will take 1’/132’ per sec = 7.5 milliseconds to travel the extra foot.

Anthony is 5’10" We knew for some time he would be short by pitcher’s standards so thats when I started researching short guys who threw hard. I said in my first post Anthony had been working on the stride thing since winter of 2007. Thats when I found out about Tim Lincecum. That winter we started reverse engineering Lincecum’s mechanics. Before that Anthony was the prototypical find a balance point, tall and fall guy. (and his arm always hurt)
Since the change(s) It evolved over years. You now see what it has become. The only other influence Anthony is now trying to incorporate in the huge drift that Trevor Bauer has. He starts the drift as his foot is rotating towards 2nd, and not waiting till it heads for home plate. This video is one of the first attempts of that drift. Again the less than perfect mechanics. Anthony’s drag line is now over 2 feet and he is at the end of a 7 foot mound. He is also releasing the ball maybe 8" ahead of his foot. Lets assume the stride is worth 1 foot and add 8" that equals alittle over 4 1/2 miles per hour per Tom House. Anthony maxed 82 MPH on the gun the day of the video. Not that impressive but add 4 1/2. Thats more like it.

I think your son really needs to focus on his arm action.

In the above clip I have a red line where your sons arm is at about footstike and the yellow line is where it should be approximately. He is “pie throwing”.

I think rather than intentionally trying to increase stride length, long strides are more the cause of doing other things well rather than the effect. In fact unless you have exceptional flexibility it may even inhibit good hip rotation which will kill velocity.

I’m not a fan of all the “perceived velocity” theories either. Give me REAL velo that is measured with a radar gun any day.

It seems as though Mr. House and Mr. laflippin need to get together, but I’d bet on Mr. laflippin. :wink:

Really though, I’m not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know that 82MPH at 54’ or 52’4” is still 82MPH. Now if what you’re talking about is what the batter interprets as velocity at the two different distances, that’s a different matter. It like when we watch the LLWS and a kid throws 77 and the equivalent is 100. The ball isn’t actually going 100MPH, but looks like it to the batter because the time is the same as a ball traveling from much further away at a higher velocity.

Sumpthin’ tells me that moving 20” closer isn’t the equivalent of 4.5 MPH. Maybe it is, but it sure isn’t intuitive.

[quote=“101mph”]I think your son really needs to focus on his arm action.

In the above clip I have a red line where your sons arm is at about footstike and the yellow line is where it should be approximately. He is “pie throwing”.

I think rather than intentionally trying to increase stride length, long strides are more the cause of doing other things well rather than the effect. In fact unless you have exceptional flexibility it may even inhibit good hip rotation which will kill velocity.

I’m not a fan of all the “perceived velocity” theories either. Give me REAL velo that is measured with a radar gun any day.[/quote]

Nice video!! I agree. I have commented many times on my opinion that the delivery should be built around throwing the ball, arm action. When the delivery is built around the lower body without the end in mind, the arm action suffers

Some very good observations. I agree that arm action should become a primary focus as I fear with higher workloads his shoulder is going to start aching. As Paul Nyman has said, if you want to crack the whip you have to create a loop. No bend in the arm, no loop, no whipping action.

Here is a comparison to Tim Lincecum in college. Some of the differences are subtle and a matter of degree, but add up to the 15 mph separating them.

Anthony’s tempo is too slow at the outset. He picks it up later, but the initially slow tempo encourages him to linger over the rubber. This is why I prefer more of an “old school” backward or even diagonal step, to a direct side step, as the backward step encourages you to reverse direction and start moving forward during leg lift. Incidentally, Bauer appears to have made this change his last year in college.

Tim flows over the top of the rubber and then glides out as he sits. This allows him to create the necessary forward momentum (flat bed truck, PN) without compromising rotation the way pushing out of a more stationary position into a long stride can. The linear dominance of Anthony’s delivery eventually shows up in his follow though as he fails to rotate around the front hip joint the way Tim does.

So in addition to arm action I’ll suggest he greatly increase his initial tempo. Perhaps even trying to go as fast as possible for a time to eliminate of some of the current unproductive dead spots early in the delivery.

[code]Hiredguns,

Good stuff. What program do you use for your Gif side by side comparison?[/code]