5 MPH Boost

Hello…I am a RHP 5’9 148 LBS. I currently throw around mid 70’s and would like to know if its possible how to gain around 5 Mph on my fastball. I dont have access to a pitchers mound so I throw mid 70’s Flat ground not sure though how much off a mound. However is it possible to boost 5 MPH on fastball velocity in 8 months if so any suggestions on workouts,Drills. etc?? Thanks.

5 MPH in 8 months at your size/age is certainly possible through getting stronger, learning to apply force better (mechanical changes), eating more (gaining weight), staying flexible/mobile in the right areas, and working hard.

Definately, some strength and conditioning work along with a good solid throwing program no problem.

A steady throwing program, I agree. Long toss builds arms strength substantially.

How does long toss build arm strength , how does throwing the ball 300 feet have to do with throwing a ball 60ft 5in off a mound. Theres no scientific proof that long toss improves velocity. Velocity comes from being able to use your all whole to create momentum and transfer that energy properly to your throwing arm.

OK Dick Mills.

What does dick mills have to do with anything its called common sense, can you tell me how long tossing improves velocity, yea its a good off season throwing program to stay in shape but how does it improve velocity. If pitching is about getting the most out of your body to create momentum what does long tossing do, if can tell me how it does i would love to here it.

Is it?

no i forgot im sorry you throw all arm.

This comment has nothing to do with my original question.

Can you substantiate the claim that pitching is “about getting the most out of your body to create momentum?”

I’d like to examine your first claim before moving on to your other conclusions.

long toss I feel helps keep the body long and loose which can aid in velocity.

How does long toss build arm strength , how does throwing the ball 300 feet have to do with throwing a ball 60ft 5in off a mound. Theres no scientific proof that long toss improves velocity. Velocity comes from being able to use your all whole to create momentum and transfer that energy properly to your throwing arm.[/quote]

Long toss builds arm strength by allowing your arm to throw the ball farther. Throwing the ball farther means more velocity. (otherwise how were you able to throw the ball farther?) The key to it is known as the calm before the storm. You must do the long toss correctly, or you will never see any improvements to your velocity. You want to get out to your longest distance, then gradually move in during the pull down phase. At the same time you are putting your 300 foot throw into your closer distances. This helps you move your arm faster (key to pitching velocity) Every movement you use during your mechanics is specifically designed to develop that energy to get your arm moving faster through the extension and down to your follow through. (because if your threw all arm, you would never be able to throw hard, because you can’t generate that arm speed in order to throw 90 plus or even 80 plus. But, you have to keep your same mechanics on the mound during your long toss, and during pull down phase, not to throw to distance, but to throw with max intensity. (aka…don’t decelerate your arm when you start getting closer in, because then the long toss will do nothing for your performance when you are at 60 feet when it counts. Also, you have to have the proper mechanics to be able to throw hard to begin with, and you have to strengthen the primary power source legs. The legs is where everythings starts, need a good base to generate higher velocity. Also, the core is an important piece to the velocity puzzle, and cannot be over looked.

The only thing I don’t agree with is:

It doesn’t necessarily mean you throw with more velocity, you can throw at 50 feet with the same velocity as 300 feet. I agree that there is a more visable effect at 300 feet to not throwing with velocity than at 50.

I can blow it through a guy at 50 feet and still throw a rainbow to a guy at 300…we are all trying to do the same thing which is throw with maximum velocity, I can get out to 300 feet and throw with max velo. and also throw with max velocity at any other distance too.