5 Components of Pitching

NICE VID. Very true about the father and intimidating throwing action

Where was the 5 Components of Pitching in that video???

Without site contribution advertisements for other sites will not be accepted and will be deleted without further comment.

Thanks jd. Add to the site and credibility will then be established in that manner. Empty “commercials” will be deleted.

The 5 Components of Pitching are at the end of the video. These components are described in detail on the video. The components are:

1) Lift Leg Momentum
2) Triple Extension
3) Separation
4) Stabilization
5) Follow through

This would be a very long post to describe what the video describes but I can answer any curious questions.

If you would like to see the movie here is a free pass. Just put in the word pennsylvania when you signup and you can watch the entire movie.

The movie is at
http://www.AcePitcher.com
!

“2) Triple Extension”

Perhaps you can elaborate on this term, I watched the 2 pitchers on your site and apparently you are talking about pushing off the rubber with the back leg. A topic which will I assure cause much discussion around here.
I’d like to get your take on it.

Triple extension is the full extension of the ankle, knee and hip flexor. All pitchers do this. All athletes do this. I know “Pushing off the Rubber” is BAD because this isn’t describing what is actually happening but Triple Extension is occuring.

Lets use Tim Lincecum. Watch the video below and you will see his back leg triple extend, aiding his momentum to the plate. The key here is timing. It isn’t that the back leg is Triple extending but when is it triple extending. If he didn’t triple extend he would have less than half his velocity.

http://acepitcher.com/tim.htm

“Triple extension is the full extension of the ankle, knee and hip flexor. All pitchers do this.”

So this would be a function of stride length and momentum. I’m unfamiliar with the term. Just listening to the narrative guy (The minor league guy who got Cansenco out?) it appeared at one point he was talking in terms of pushing off…so is this a linear thing from hip to toe tip at the power position determined by stride length, momentum and hip …for lack of a better term…posture?
And no doubt Lincecum strides a fair piece :smiley:
And where or who uses this term (Always intersted in learning about the different schools of thought)?

Triple extension is an old Olympic lifting term. This is the key to performing these lifts. It applies to all sports because most all sports are performed by pushing off of the ground. Example: running and jumping.

I know this article is long but it really describes this concept.

http://acepitcher.com/article1.html

Happy New Year!

I never saw any of that mentioned in the video (3 mins long) that I was watching, although I may have missed it.

The entire movie is over 15 minutes long.

If you would like to see the entire movie, here is a free pass. Just put in the word pennsylvania when you signup and you can watch the entire movie.

Hauser
I haven’t watched that whole movie but I did see one video and read that article. Some good stuff there. On the application of Newtonian physics to throwing a baseball, I’d like to add something to the mix. There are many, many little Newtonian events happening when the body throws a baseball or performs any other complex motor skill. The key, after building up that momentum, is effective transfer up the kinetic chain. All the momentum in the world will not do much good if the rest isn’t happening effectively. Put in the Stretch Shortening Cycle (SSC) in muscles and the elastic rebound of connective tissues and you have a very complex action. Not that the kids we’re advising need to get into all of that detail but we as coaches/teachers/advisors need to be aware of those concepts.

What you are saying is very similar to Dick Mills’ teachings about momentum. Mills, as usual, takes it to extremes and now has Momentum Pitching. I think he’s missing the role of the SSC in all of this, in favor of the elastic properties of connective tissues being the only mechanism of transfer. You do mention hip/shoulder separation and the “torque” that it can create.

I agree with the Triple Extension idea but never heard it referred to as such. I like the term. Back leg action is something I’ve written about on these boards several times and I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.

I hope you’ll stay around here and continue to contribute to our intent of helping kids.

Well said! I appreciate the encouragement and I plan to hangout here a lot.

Happy New Year!

hauser33 how can you teach triple extention to a player that does not understand fully.

What are the steps?

It is called a squat. The best way to understand Triple Extension is learning to squat in the weight room. If you can not squat twice your body weight you will never develop a powerful fastball.

The proper way to squat weight is as follows.

1. Feet must be shoulder width and chest up.

2. When squating DO NOT let your knees move past your toes. This means you are putting the weight on your joints instead of on your leg muscles. The best way to perform this is to kick your butt out. This is very important in pitching as well because if you let your knees move past your toes then your hips will open early.

3. Drive the weight up with your hips. Finish the squat in Triple Extension (ankles, knees and hip flexors extended). The difference in the pitching delivery is you do not drive the weight until your hips have commented to the plate and you are also only using your back leg.

The key to all of this is timing and the concept Stretch Shortening Cycle (SSC). Look this term up and understand the concept.

I will have a video on this at
www.AcePitcher.com
very soon.

I cannot squat twice my weight and I have a powerful fastball.

why do you think you have a powerful fastball palo? (what in your body enables it) Also, define powerful.

I would say I believe you but you will not have a long career because if you are generating power outside of your legs then that means your shoulders are doing all the work.

When they asked Roger Clemens if he was going to play again before he went to the Yankees he said that he wasn’t sure if his legs could take another year. Nolan Ryan was quoted many times saying a similar phrase.

Look, I know that leg strength is important. I was making the point that you’re blanket statement of squatting twice your weight to have a powerful fastball just doesn’t apply.

What if you’re 6’10" 270 lbs? Probably not a good squatter.

Without getting into specifics, I know that I throw pretty hard. Not as hard as I’m capable of, but still hard.

[quote=“palo20”]Look, I know that leg strength is important. I was making the point that you’re blanket statement of squatting twice your weight to have a powerful fastball just doesn’t apply.

What if you’re 6’10" 270 lbs? Probably not a good squatter.

Without getting into specifics, I know that I throw pretty hard. Not as hard as I’m capable of, but still hard.[/quote]

I’m 6’8" 230 and I can squat twice my BW