4 Seamer vs. 2 Seamer

I know there are differences between these two pitches mainly:
4SF = faster, less movement
2SF = slower, more movement

but what makes a pitcher decide to use either one exclusively?

I, personally, use the 2SF since I get good movement with good velocity but I’m not against using a 4SF for certain situations. Do most pitcher’s do this?

-A curious cat

[quote=“Spencer”]I know there are differences between these two pitches mainly:
4SF = faster, less movement
2SF = slower, more movement

but what makes a pitcher decide to use either one exclusively?

I, personally, use the 2SF since I get good movement with good velocity but I’m not against using a 4SF for certain situations. Do most pitcher’s do this?

-A curious cat[/quote]

I predominantly use the 2 seam fb, but use the 4 seasm when i bust sombody up and in with 2 strikes. I use the 2 seamer so much bcuz i have insane movement on it and I only lose an average of 1 to 2 mph (my 2 seam is 86-87).

I threw straight two seam fastballs up until last year, this year i’ve added a 4 seam, curveball, and circle change.

4S outside so it doesn’t accidentally tail back over the middle of the plate. 2S inside to run in on the batters hands. (For RHP/RHB or LHP/LHB.)

You can also throw a 2SF that tails outside so it tails back in just on the edge of the strike zone. This way, the batter thinks it is a ball but then it is a strike.

also there is comfort and control. My control with my two seam isn’t nearly as good as my four-seam because of the movement.

I switch back and fourth. I usually use the two-seam for better hitters to fool them with the movement, and then I use four-seam on weaker hitters to blow it by them.

Also I prefer my four-seam for an 0-0 fastball, so that I can more easily paint the corner, rather than worry about the two-seam tailing back over the plate.

i also use the 4 seam when i have to brush a batter back, i dont want the 2 seam to run up and hit him in the face.

You can also throw a 2SF that tails outside so it tails back in just on the edge of the strike zone. This way, the batter thinks it is a ball but then it is a strike.[/quote]

This 2-seamer is especially effective if you first show the batter a straight 4-seamer just off the plate. That way he won’t know what the ball just off the plate will do and will generally have to swing, which will usually result in a swinging strike or a ball off the end of the bat.

Absolutely! But you have to locate that well. Too far outside and the batter won’t bite. Too far inside and it tails over the plate like I described previously.

Absolutely! But you have to locate that well. Too far outside and the batter won’t bite. Too far inside and it tails over the plate like I described previously.[/quote]

If your someone who has that kind of control, lol ur lucky as hell cuz I sure as hell dont yet.

I use my 4 Seamer generally on righties, until I get two strikes. If I’m gonna throw a fastball, I use my 2 seam, fire it chest high and let it explode into the guy, usually it works. I usually use my 2 seamer alot more against lefites, since I find it harder to get hurt by a fastball tailing away.

i gernerally like using the 2-seam early in the count, but if i have it perfect i’ll go 4-seam inside, curve outside, 2-seam outside

that’s my favorite combo, gets 'em 9 times outta 10