4 seam fastball?

Hi, I’m a 15 year old who’s fastball tops out at around 76. The only fastball I thorw is a 2 seam and that’s because I get a decent amount of movement on it but will throwing a 4 seam add velocity to my fastball? I want to keep my primary fastball as a 2 seam but it wouldn’t hurt to have a pitch that I can throw just a little harder than my 2 seam. How many extra MPH’s, if any, would be added with a 4 seam? It sounds like it would add around 2 or 3, is that true? And why?

The 4 seam FB is usually faster than a 2 seam, as 2-seamers are usually called sinkers because of the action that takes place as it crosses home.

But just a quick answer to your question, yes a 4 seamer will be faster. Just locate it down and you will be fine!

I am placing my thoughts on this thread because it is a very important for me evolving and learning as I go. The two seam and four seam fastball should both be the same speed.
If you throw the back of the baseball for your fastball, which makes it the fastest pitch because the ball retains more of the hand speed. What difference would it matter if it was two or four seam?
Before you go with the whole, “does he know the whole seams and wind and gravity thing?” please think about these items.

1. Velocity is measured out of hand.
  2. Four seam rotation from someone 3 quarters doesn’t spin 6 to 12.
    3 The only true way to get 6 to 12 rotation is “high 3/4” to “over the top” approach. (And more so on the later.)
  3. The 2 seam becomes a sinker or a cutter when you ever so slightly favor one side or the other on the baseball.
  4. To move to one side or the other even more brings about sliders and screwballs.
  5. A two seamer will have the likelyhood of moving to one side or another from a over the top slot than the four seamer because of the whole"seams, gravity, wind, physics thing.
    When responding back to someone about this question, I ask those on the board, should my question first be: What arm slot do you utilize?
    If anything other than over the top, should my response now be? It really doesn"t matter. they are both going to move. Now if you want it to move, and become slower, let me show you how to throw a sinker/cutter.

Just some thoughts to throw out there to bring about interaction, or expose how whacked out I believe trying to use common sense has made me. :slight_smile:

Please share thoughts as you read my “against the normal or programmed” response. I would love to hear some thoughts as I don’t believe anyone has ever blurted this out. Thank you.
(Maybe nobody is as far gone as I am. :slight_smile: )

Along these lines, I’d like to know whether Little League’s 46’ pitching distance is enough distance for a 10-12 year old to get a 2 seam fastball to move.

A respected pitching coach told me it’s not; others have told me it is.

Perhaps it all depends on velocity? If so, how hard must one throw from 46’ to get movement on a 2 seam fastball?

Fred, I actually agree with what you say about the 2-seam/4-seam controversy, but the issue therein lies in how we apply momentum to the back of the baseball, which most of us aren’t applying force directly behind the baseball and with the 2-seam movement is more visible due to how the seams spin in that sense.

I am also interested to see how you have your pitchers throwing a sinker.

[quote=“CSOleson”]Fred, I actually agree with what you say about the 2-seam/4-seam controversy, but the issue therein lies in how we apply momentum to the back of the baseball, which most of us aren’t applying force directly behind the baseball and with the 2-seam movement is more visible due to how the seams spin in that sense.

I am also interested to see how you have your pitchers throwing a sinker.[/quote]

If you were to divide the baseball in half or place a two fingers inside the narrow two seams the line between both fingers would divide that baseball in half. It is important to state that I believe that all fastballs (4 seam/ 2 seam- cut FB and the sinker) will leave your middle finger last. The key is for the 4 and 2 seam to be you fastest pitch it has to leave from the tip of the finger. This feel will mean you stayed behind the baseball. When it leaves slightly to the outside (ring finger side) of your middle finger it will sink and become slower. When it leaves slightly to the inside (index finger side or pointing finger) of your middle finger this ball will cut. To facilitate more sink (or cut) to a fastball I will have my guys place their middle finger on or slightly inside the half point of the baseball and feel it leave the outside of the middle finger for a sinker. For the cut FB or “cutter” it would be the placement of your index finger on or outside of the half point.

Another tip for movement is moving your thumb to one side of the baseball. On the sinker, let your thumb ride up toward the index finger and on the cutter tuck it more to toward the ring finger.

I will place photos of such grips when I get to my computer. Hope this helps.

[quote=“Fred Corral”]I am placing my thoughts on this thread because it is a very important for me evolving and learning as I go. The two seam and four seam fastball should both be the same speed.
If you throw the back of the baseball for your fastball, which makes it the fastest pitch because the ball retains more of the hand speed. What difference would it matter if it was two or four seam?
Before you go with the whole, “does he know the whole seams and wind and gravity thing?” please think about these items.

1. Velocity is measured out of hand.
  2. Four seam rotation from someone 3 quarters doesn’t spin 6 to 12.
    3 The only true way to get 6 to 12 rotation is “high 3/4” to “over the top” approach. (And more so on the later.)
  3. The 2 seam becomes a sinker or a cutter when you ever so slightly favor one side or the other on the baseball.
  4. To move to one side or the other even more brings about sliders and screwballs.
  5. A two seamer will have the likelyhood of moving to one side or another from a over the top slot than the four seamer because of the whole"seams, gravity, wind, physics thing.
    When responding back to someone about this question, I ask those on the board, should my question first be: What arm slot do you utilize?
    If anything other than over the top, should my response now be? It really doesn"t matter. they are both going to move. Now if you want it to move, and become slower, let me show you how to throw a sinker/cutter.

Just some thoughts to throw out there to bring about interaction, or expose how whacked out I believe trying to use common sense has made me. :)[/quote]

I like your response …

id say you could get atleast 3 or 4 more mph

I’m pretty sure the main reasons that people throw the 4 seam are it’s easy to control and it is easy on the arm. So if you can control the 2 seam well, then I would suggest trying a cutter. They’ll have similar speeds but the batter won’t know which way it’s going to break until it’s too late. You’ll be humiliating star hitters left and right.

Spring is around the corner in the NE. Love what Fred Corral has to say about pitching. Bringing some old post to the top to make it easier for my son to find.