32 inch vertical? Not a Pitching Question, but

Hey guys, today i tested my vertical leap and my 60 yard dash. I did it at my house, so not sure if this calculation is accurate. To find my vertical i videotaped it. Then i looked up Tim Collins vertical leap of 38.7 inches. I downloaded and converted it so i could count the frames. From the time his toes left the platform to the time they landed it took 25 frames. Then i counted mine and it took 21 frames. So i set up a proportion ( hey don’t they teach that in math class? :smiley: ) like this, x being my vertical:

_ = _
38.7 25
(this didn’t come out the way i wanted. It is x over 38.7 equals 21 over 25.)

After this is solved it comes out to 32.5. Assuming my frame counting is correct, which i think it is because i have checked several times, wouldn’t this be the acccurate measurement?

As some additional info that may be helpful, my 60 yd time was 7.2. And i know this is correct. It wasn’t done by hand, but i used the program that came with my camera. It gives time to the nearest hundredth. From my first movement till my foot crossed the 60yd line, the time was 7.17. My vert leap compared to Tim Collins:

Nice! I do think having a good vertical directly relates to athleticism, which directly relates to pitching and a pitcher’s explosiveness. So it definitely relates.

How many guys here can dunk a basketball or softball or baseball? I couldn’t until I changed up my workout program in college … and not surprisingly, that’s the exact same year I broke 90 mph consistently and really started adding velocity!

Not so fast. The equation relating hang time and vertical jump is:

V=48*t^2

http://www.algebra.com/algebra/homework/quadratic/Quadratic_Equations.faq.question.271673.html

Since vertical jump is proportional to hang time squared, if you’re comparing your vertical jump to another person’s, you need to ratio the square of the hang times.

so the ratio is 21 squared (441) over 25 squared (625). 441/625 * 38.7 = 27 inches.

Thanks for pointing that out bbrages. I didn’t think my vertical would jump 6 inches in a couple months. Now that i know it is only 27 though, i am going to put in some extra work to try and get that up.

As for dunking, i can almost put down a baseball. On a good day and a good jump i can dunk one. I am also kind of interested as to whether anyone else out there can dunk.

Well, I read on wikipedia that the average vertical leap in the NBA is 28 inches, so 27 doesn’t sound too shabby…

That seems really suspicious, because in the dunking contest they had a college kid at 5’10" with a 50" vertical. Talk about beastly, but I doubt that 28 inches is the average NBA vert. Just doesn’t seem to match up.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you don’t believe everything you read on wikipedia…

I watched a sport science on women basketballs #1 pick maya moore. they compared her 26 inch vertical to the average vertical in the NBA. They said the average nba vertical was 28 inches.

Some people just cannot jump as high as others, and while that may be the average vert, it (in my opinion) is not a great vertical at all. I would say 30-40" is very athletic, while anything above that is superb. 20-30" is average at best, since out of 50 guys on my college squad, only 4 cannot jump higher than 20".