3/4 arm slot curveball trouble

I’ve recently dropped my arm angle lower, to about a 3/4 slot and it has helped my fastball and change control

But my curve is gone …

I’m thinking I should develope a slider for my breaking pitch from this arm angle instead of my non-curve…

I don’t want to all of a sudden throw over the top just for curves, then drop lower a bit for the fastball…

I’m wondering if you can have an effective curve from 3/4…

Part of the problem is when you were throwing from over the top you got used to the release point, and in fact it is easier to see it out of the corner of your eye when you throw it over the top. Also when thrown from over the top your curve was “pulled/accerated” almost straight down as it rolled over your fingers.

Now your arm is further away from your body, and the natural arm arc pulls accross your body somewhat more. When you threw over the top your arm natually went from above your ear to your hip. Now at 3/4’s it is about ear height and wants to travel to your opposite side depending how high or low you 3/4 arm slot is.

Everything is a trade off. When you throw straight over hand you get the pulses and minuses of throwing from that arm slot. Pulses more supposed rise on the fastball, more drop on the curve (12-6), but very little movement on a circle or three fingered change.

Now at 3/4’s you now have sinking fastball, a change that moves, and a
(1-7 or 2-8) curve (depending where in the 3/4’d world you are throwing)

I think it all comes doen to what kind of pitcher you are or want to be. If you are naturally a hard throwing power pitcher then maybe over the top is for you. If you hands are large and strong did you consider a splitter or a fork ball as a change up?

If you are more of a command pitcher ala Maddux or Glavine then 3/4’s might be for you.

I would tabe the slider unless you are at least a Junior in High School.

Changing arm slots is very difficult, I think it is a talent like having a 95 mph fastball. Not many can successfully do what EL Duque’ has pulled off for a very long time.

Truly hope this helps,

Ian

that was pretty helpful … I’m definitely not a power guy… I feel really confident that the 3/4 slot is right for me.

When the time comes , I always thought I had a better slider from 3/4’s than from over the top. Ideally, I guess I should not have, but I knew what worked for me.

This goes back a very long time, but my dad always wanted me to be the fireballing over the top pitcher, but after seeing my own velocity, and taking a realistic view of myself, I went to 3/4’s and sank the ball. After a while -everything (curve ball included) got better. Fastball sank, changeup moved more, no longer hung the slider, and curveball now a 1 to 7 instead of a 12-6 got way better, just had to get used to it. You can do it!
Keep the faith! And if you want to throw a couple over the top curves-thats one more thing to make’ em worry about! Just remember everyonce in a while to throw a fastball from there to keep them honest.

Best of Luck!

Ian

Wow! We’re really going back into the archives here…
The whole point is to find the arm slot that is most comfortable for you and that enables you to pitch effectively. My old pitching coach—an active major leaguer who probably knew more about pitching than just about anyone else—firmly believed that every pitcher has a natural motion, a natural arm slot, and what he would do was show that pitcher how to make the most of it. I was a natural sidearmer who used the crossfire extensively, and he took it from there and taught me how to take full advantage of it. I wasn’t fast—although eventually I would top out at 81MPH with a good four-seamer—so he introduced me to the ins and outs of strategic pitching.
I think you should get to work on a slider—that’s a good pitch for someone with a 3/4 arm slot. And the slider, when thrown correctly, is actually easier on the arm and shoulder than anything else, and a lot of pitchers who have been having trouble with the curve ball will often find that they have a greater degree of success with the slider. I learned the pitch when I was sixteen, and it became my strikeout pitch. My coach also told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated a few of those for me, and I gobbled up a couple of those and made them part of my repertoire. Also, if your hand is large enough and strong enough you might experiment with a forkball or a splitter, as someone suggested—Jose Contreras throws both of those pitches (which are actually first cousins), and he’s had a lot of success with them.
Something to think, about. And remember—if you can’t overpower the hitters, outfox them. :slight_smile: 8)

How high or low is my armslot considered? - #4 by LeftyDude Can you comment on my armslot?What change you would suggest? Maybe one that breaks in to righties?