25 yr old third baseman trying to teach myself to pitch

I’m attempting to get started as a pitcher by trying to teach myself using this and other websites. Previously, I had been playing third base in a slow pitch softball league but it’‘s just not what I’‘m looking for. I’‘ve shown little flashes of talent here and there mostly with a two seamer and a slider. My problem is that I just can’t figure out how to get up to speed without doing too much too fast and hurting my arm.
I’m just looking for some start up tips. I’'m 25 years old so It’s not like I’m going anywhere big. I just want to be able to compete in my cities hard ball leagues.
Any advice?

Without knowing how much throwing you’ve been doing, I’ll assume not much…

Start with lots of throwing including a long toss program - or progress from short to medium to long toss. Get the arm conditioned before pitching. Then start of easy by limiting your pitch count and gradually increasing that.

A strength and conditioning regimen including some joint stability (e.g. rotator cuff) work.

Awesome, thanx for your time

One other thing… What’s the difference between fatigued sore and hurting yourself sore? For example, What areas of my arm should or should not be sore after throwing about thirty pitches at 80% of my capacity? (which by the way I have tried to get done every other day or so)
I haven’t dedicated my life to pitching or baseball like many members of this forum seem to have done. I respect that very much. I’m one of those recreational guys. Having said that, I do indeed love the game and the rec leagues in this city are very competitive so I want to make sure that I’m on top of my game before I attempt anything. Again, my humble thanks for your response. Hopefully as I progress I will have more advanced questions and comments.

good sore is feeling like you went to the gym and worked out your arm. bad sore is when it feels like somebody gave you a deadarm. when you start throwing throw with an arch, it will help your arm develope without hurting it. just keep throwing and eventually youll be ready for mound work

I would say mild soreness in the muscles between the joints - like in the triceps - is probably not an issue. Soreness in the joints is cause for more caution. Sometimes it’s hard to tell where the soreness is.

If you’re just starting up or just recently increased your workload, then soreness in the triceps as well as the backside of the shoulder (decelerators) wouldn’t be surprising.

The majority of my soreness is in my deltoid. I have real broad shoulders and thats where the majority of muscle mass in my torso exists. Consequently, my body seems to naturally want to use this part of itself to maximize velocity. What does this tell you?

I can’t thank you enough for your insights

When I was a kid I went to Yankee Stadium (the original ballpark) every chance I got, and I watched the pitchers. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation (Vic Raschi, Allie Reynolds and Ed Lopat) were all doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous, seamless motion, and that was how they were getting the power behind their pitches—and taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder in the process. I realized that this was what I needed to do, and I watched closely to see just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential aspect of good mechanics, I found that not only was I too generating the power behind my pitches, I was throwing harder—and faster—than I had been doing, not to mention that it took a lot of pressure off my arm and shoulder. How not to get a sore arm. And, much to my surprise, I, a confirmed snake-jazzer, wound up with an 81-mile-an-hour fast ball, a good four-seamer that my pitching coach told me was, for a finesse pitcher such as I was, a fast ball!
I think that doing this—getting your whole body into the action—will decrease, if not entirely eliminate, the arm soreness you have been experiencing. Give it a shot. It can only help. :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

[quote=“CSamuel”]The majority of my soreness is in my deltoid. I have real broad shoulders and thats where the majority of muscle mass in my torso exists. Consequently, my body seems to naturally want to use this part of itself to maximize velocity. What does this tell you?

I can’t thank you enough for your insights[/quote]

usually the rear delts are used for deceleration. if one part is more sore than the others than usually theres a muscle imbalance. so try workin out the delts a lil more in your excersizes to even them out with chest. chest accelerates back side decelerates.

CSamuel,
I’d be interested to hear your progress.

I’m in a similar situation. 29 yrs old and want to play in the city league. I haven’t pitched since I was 15. I can probably throw about 70-75 MPH if I were to guesstimate. My goal is to up my speed 10 MPH with work on my mechanics and arm strength. Hopefully that is possible at my age.

If anyone else has tried to develop their pitching arm at a much later age I would like to hear about it as well.

dizzle29 and Csamuel I don’t know if this will be a help to you but I thought I post it in case you find it of interest.

The older player who is not involved in college or other formal baseball might want to consider the playing environment and the expectations of competition – especially maintaining a reasonable level of talent for one’s self.

Senior ball or post age Legion, AAU, but not college ball, usually falls into three categories. The first being strictly recreational ball and the second being MSBL or similar MSBL kind of play – both of these are purely nonprofessional in any way. The third type is semiprofessional and are usually comprised of very aggressive level adult baseball and not to be involved with unless your very well qualified in this sport. .

The first is strictly recreational. There are no formal rankings, class A-B-C and the like and the fields are usually community parks and playgrounds that are on a first-come-first serve basis. Rarely are fees collected, umpires hired, rosters kept, and scorebooks are not maintained with any rigidity. The focus here is almost like a pickup game when we were kids and its not unusual to have as many players on the field as you’d like.

The second type is MSBL (men’s senior baseball league), and there’s nothing recreational about it. Sometimes you’ll see adds in the local sport’s page – all levels accepted, BUT don’t be fooled into thinking that all levels WILL BE APPRECIATED. These guys play hard- to win. There’s a ranking every year with these clubs and age usually dictates the level, although not always. There are over thirty (+30), over forty (+40) and even over fifty (+50) leagues. Umpires are expensive additions to league play along with your own personal bat, helmet, cleats, uniform, membership fee(s), travel expenses, legal waivers to be signed and a lot of other stuff. As far as your expectations – talent wise, a pitcher is expected to perform at a higher level than you might expect. Some of the people behind the man or woman on the bump aren’t in the best of shape, and errors will tend to make it a very long day. So be expected to go the distance –nine innings in most cases, although some only play seven. My advice to you is meant to be oriented more towards staying healthy than it is staying in lower ERA numbers. Don’t be a gasser. Don’t burn yourself trying to over pitch, inning to inning. Face it, your pitches are gonna get hit a lot, but at your age(s) without prior constant training and playing momentum this is to be expected. Learn to pitch at 1/3rd and 2/3rd game speed only. While warming up in your bullpen, wherever that might be on game day, toss the majority of your stuff at 1/3rd game speed, then round out your bullpen with the last five pitches at 2/3rd game speed. By the way, full game speed is “full bore” all you got. Just remember to pace yourself and as the season progresses you’ll start to fit into a grove every Wednesday and Sunday, just like the pros. After your game, take a long hot shower and rubdown with Absorbine Jr or similar liniment. Then wrap your shoulders and pitching arm in a hot (not scalding) towel and relax. It’s Miller time.

The third type – semiprofessional, is for those players on highly competitive summer college ball leave, and professionals out on waivers or release from Independent professional ball and the MLB minor system(s).

In addition to what’s been said thus far, along the information bar at the top of this web site is an outstanding collection of pitching advice and well worth the time to read. Also, do hesitate to PM some of the people that you read for some advice that you might feel taylor fits your agendas.

Best wishes for your baseball experience.

Coach B.

id recommend naba to since theres a lot of orginizations around america. they have different levels to, were playing on sunday and the guy on other field was throwing at least 90mph. so even starting out until you get good there will always be some competition

To dizzle29,

It’s tough. I try to read a lot of encouraging material to balance out the discouraging stuff I hear. Coach Baker’s post was cool for instance. I’m trying to do at least something related to pitching everyday. Due to work and school sometimes all that is is reading. Long toss has been the absolute best thing as far as contributing to my progress. Since I’ve started a regement of long toss at least three times a week, I’ve seen tangible results. Although my velocity has only improved minimally, my arm endurance has improved dramatically. Like you, I haven’t pitched in years, 15 to be exact, but that hasn’t stopped me. My philosophy is this: I’m going to take the next 10 months or so, get as good as I possibly can, and wherever I fit in skill wise I’ll be happy just to play there. I haven’t begun to research where that might be yet. I live in the mojave desert about 80 miles northeast of LA and the leagues are somewhat sparce here, it’s mostly softball. Anyway, thanks for the post and stay in contact. It’s cool to see someone in a similar situation.
I forgot to mention the fact that my roommate invested in catching gear and has similar aspirations. After that happened I built a mound in my backyard and we have sessions about twice a week. If there is anyway possible for you to find a catching partner, I would highly recommend it. It has helped tremendously and makes the journey back to pitching again seem much more achieveable. Also, retrieving your own balls is not to much fun.

Thanks for the info CSamuel. Coach B’s post was definitely informative, yet slightly discouraging. I live in the Seattle suburbs and the league here is a wood bat league that has some ex-college players. I have this year’s schedule printed out, so I’m going to check out a game to see the level of competition. I’m giving myself one year of training before I even attempt to join a team.

Hopefully I can get myself back into pitching shape. I feel like I’m in moderately good shape overall… . my build is small at 5’11" 180 lbs, but I can bench around 250 and have no problems keeping up with athletic 19 y/o kids on the basketball court. I’m going to purchase one of those pitching nets that has an outline of the strike zone…That way I don’t really need someone to catch for me :slight_smile:

My main goals are to see if I’m able to throw 80-85 mph and also have a good change/curve to compliment the fastball.

I love Seattle. I’ve got a friend up in Lynnwood. I wanted to move there for a while. Yeah, I’m 5’9" about 170 so it’s kinda tough to watch a game and see that virtually every pitcher is 6’2" +. I’m two months into that one year I gave myself and I am progessing OK. I think I’ll be ready by Feb/March.
I wish you the best of luck my friend!

yeah, it seems like every beastly pitcher is 6’2" or bigger.

good luck to you too