2020 RHP Mechanics please watch and help

I’m 6’2, 183 lbs, and have average velocity nothing special. My arm comes up really early and just “hangs out” and there isn’t much whip too it. I also noticed I stand pretty straight up when I finish. I’ve been using medicine balls and trying to work on getting my momentum forward and finishing over my body along with my regular routine. Please give any suggestions and critiques along with drills or exercises to help. Btw I was just throwing in the basement of my school against a padded wall.

Also my coach said my mechanics look similar to Reynaldo Lopez but clearly not as good

Middle guy

Gman, you have to upload your video again. It is not playing.

My bad, just did

Gman, Here to help. I did a quick analysis of your pitching mechanics. One of the things I look at is Weight Shift and Hand Break. When the leg and hands start to move down, the pitcher should shift his front hip toward the catcher. Hand break should occur once the hands reach belt buckle. The front hip will lead the front shoulder with your nose centered and balanced over the core.

To maximize explosive weight shift your entire back foot should be pushing into the ground and back up against the rubber (I know you were flat ground here). Look at the picture comparison. Salazar uses his back leg force to drive him down the mound. His pitching arm, head, and lower back leg have already started to move down the mound. Look at the drill link I am sending you. This drill will at least help you start gaining forward momentum at hand break. If you do not generate forward momentum, your hand will hit the wall. I would start here. You have other flaws in your mechanics we can discuss at another time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2iI58Sg-Y

Steve

Thanks for responding and posting the drill too. I definitely see what you’re talking about, especially compared to Salazar

Hey Gman,

Thanks for posting the video! What I see here is a classic first movement problem. Steve’s points are solid, so I’ll just add on a little. Basically, it’s all in how you start. I took screenshots from both your video and the one you posted of Lopez.
gman3423

The camera angles are different, of course, but I think you can see the difference.

Your first movement is into the traditional “balance position” leg lift that’s been taught for ages. This is indicated by the orange line. The problem is this traditional approach essentially stops the motion at the top of the leg lift and then restart it to head to the plate. A pitcher only has 1 to 1.4 seconds (on average) to get from first movement to release!

Notice on the Lopez screenshot that his first movement is to the plate. Rather than being straight up and down, his orange line is angled toward the target, and illustrates what many call a “power angle.” Lopez, like most pros, doesn’t stop at the top or start and restart.

The wall drill Steve provided is perfect for learning the power angle, and best of all you can do it anywhere and don’t need a coach. It’s immediate feedback. I’d suggest crossing your arms over your chest (like an X, so left hand on right shoulder, etc) on the first few, just to get the feel of it. Then go at it as shown in the link. Good too if you can use a net instead of a wall at first. Your knuckles may thank you!

Cheers,
Roy

Sorry, forgot to explain the blue line. That is an approximation of where you’d be with a similar power angle to Lopez. Again, because the camera was behind him, I had to guess a bit, but you get the idea.

Thanks for the feedback. I can feel what your talking about in my delivery, it feels like everything stops and it’s hard to get a lot of momentum going forward. I’m gonna keep doing the drill too.

Gman, Steve and Coach Roy are spot on with their advice. I would add this drill as well. This drill will get your momentum started in the right direction.

Hope this helps,

Former pitcher and current pitching coach