2019 RHP Valparaiso, IN

I’m a RHP from Indiana who sits 81-83mph and currently am a junior at a big high school. Just looking for anything I could work on and hear what people think. There is a slow motion video if you just click on my channel that was uploaded at the same time as this one. I’m looking at NAIA and D2-D3 schools in my area for colleges. Any advice is greatly appreciated! (My NCSA Profile link is below as well)

NCSA: http://www.ncsasports.org/baseball-recruiting/in/valparaiso/valparaiso-high-school/ryan-troxel

I’m only a freshman pitcher sitting mid 60’s top 69, got a lot of work to hopefully reach d1, but from my instructors I learned that retracting your throwing arm back up is really stressful to the elbow to slow it down and pull it back, I’d just work on leaving it down there and bringing it to the side to field.

Thanks for the advice. Just keep working man! I was only throwing about 70 freshman year too. Stick at it!

69 is pretty good for a freshman.

That’s where my son sits as a freshman.

It’s not elite level but certainly above average.

My belief is your stride is too short. Probably because the mound is short and you are subconsciously in fear of falling off the end of it. You straighten your stride leg too soon as well. The arm action is good but the bottom half appears where there is a lot of leak. Look at the video and stop it a 4 seconds. You never get your top half over your legs. Man, I would say you have four mph in you right now. Take a longer stride and finish the throw.

Thank you! Definitely had something to do with the mound but you have a great point. Appreciate the feedback!

If you find that a longer stride will have you planting on the edge of that portable mound, switch to flat ground. Shortening your stride to avoid the edge of the mound can have much worse consequences than would the lack of a downhill slope.

I hate portable mounds.

The stride is short yes. But when you lengthen that stride, you need to realize your timing now will change for your upper half… You will need to delay the arm cocking to get it timed up… Too early and you lose velocity because you will tend to rotate too early without separation from hips… too late and you risk injury.

Also, have you been a catcher in the past, because you cock your arm up with the ball really close to your ear. That’s not good for a pitcher having the ball inside of 90 degrees.

You certainly have the size to throw considerably harder, go find a good pitching coach.

ps. don’t reach out with the lift leg to lengthen your stride, get moving down the mound sooner… and turn your lift leg foot in until it rotates to land last second. ie keep your feet synced up.

Oh God, yes. Finish building that artificial mound. Get the final 3 feet added onto it :wink: