2012 Draft

Dino and I have a little discussion going on in the exception to every rule thread about the draft and a few Pitcher’s and where they were taken.

Thought I’d start an actual thread about this years draft.

Thoughts, comments, links you’d like to share etc.

Stroman should have gone way higher than he did. Mid 90s and dominant in the best college conference? Two plus pitches? Doesn’t make sense to me

Too many teams still don’t want to take the chance on the little guy. It’s too bad but its going to take years to change that culture.

Keep an eye on this smallish pitcher…Corey Black #157 overall by the New York Yankees. He pitched in the NAIA for Faulkner University (Alabama) after transferring from San Diego State University…Mid 90’s fastball. 5"10-11" , 175 lbs.

Victor Roache, 28th rnd pick.

He hit 30 home runs his junior year at Georgia Southern. 30! Everyone was predicting first half of the first round or a top 10 selection of him, but he broke his wrist severely in a diving play in right field. He needed a plate and screws and all that, but if comes back 100%, this guy was a steal for the Brewers. I saw him play in CCBL and he autographed a picture for me 8)

30 Bombs is pretty impressive. Hopefully he comes back healthy

Taken as the11th Canadian drafted in the 20th round (622nd overall) by the Reds – RHP Brock Dykxhoorn 6′ 8″ 225 lbs. Goderich, Ont. Ontario Nationals/Canadian National Juniors.

I saw this kid live he’s going to be something special.

He’s got a teammate who is eligible next year who is off the charts, can’t wait to see where he goes.

1136 Sgromolo, John Flagler College, FL 1B L/L SR 6’00" 210lbs DOB: 08/09/90
:smiley:
I coached this kid as a t-baller, he played along with my son all the way through high school…I have stories galore :wink: and couldn’t be prouder.

As I mentioned in another thread this guy was on my sons travel squad;

454 Scantling, Hunter Florida State, FL RHP R/R SR 6’08" 270lbs DOB: 09/12/89

Some history was made in the draft this year.

First draft pick
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/toronto-blue-jays-shaun-valeriote-first-mlb-draft-005807038.html
ever from the Ontario University Athletics.

For those of you who don’t know our University Sport system up here is complicated, there is the CIS which would be like the NCAA but then each province has their own Association, but in Baseball the CIS doesn’t recognize it. Like I said complicated.

This player though is the first draft pick for all of Canada to come out of a non-NCAA or non-NAIA or non-JUCO affiliated program.

It screams of a favour pick, but he was still chosen non the less. I also highly doubt that it will start a trend of trying to find a diamond in the rough.