20 year old RHP

Could you guys have a look at my mechanics please? I’m hitting 73 mph max and i have the feeling i should be able to get more.

There is one curve in there. Is it obvious which one it is from my motion?

The things i see is that my front foot landing is a bit too open (toe pointed towards first base side)
And i have long arm action or isnt this a big problem?

I wouldn’t worry about the long-arm action—this is something a lot of pitchers who throw sidearm use. Are you by any chance one of them? But it seems to me you want to get more power and more speed into your windup and delivery, and to this end you should look into something I constantly refer to as “The Secret”. I learned that a long time ago, by watching how the Yankees’ Big Three rotation did it: they drove off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, creating a nonstop flow of energy all the way up through the shoulder and arm; not only did they generate more power in their pitches they also took a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm so they could throw harder and faster with less effort. A good place to start would be something called the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved—and this is something you really need to do, get the whole body involved in the process so you aren’t just throwing with the arm and the shoulder. :baseballpitcher:

Post some video of you throwing over 70 mph and we’ll take a look. This just looks like you were just starting to loosen up.

Hey thanks for the replies!

I do indeed throw sidearm occasionaly, but only since last year. And i always have had a long arm motion, also before i started sidearming. In this clip im not really sidearming i think.

I’ll have a look at the hershiser drill again. I tried it last year, but hershiser against a hard wall doesnt really work (impact hurts) So i gave up. This time i’ll use a fence or padded wall.

Coachpaul you make a good point!
As the clip states it was a pregame bullpen, So yeah it was getting loose for a game. Will try to get some new footage as soon as we start indoor practice.

This was me at the beginning of the season in the indoor practice where im trying a little harder. Also some sidearm pitches.

Honestly, I agree with the post above. This is you pitching but it looks like you’re just throwing. Pitching is about explosion. You are just going through the motion. At 20, unless you have some sort of genetic disadvantage, you should be able to throw much harder than 73. But, look at the bright side, you say you hit the low 70’s and you still have a lot of room to improve.

To start, push with your back leg. You must do this. You are supposed to throw with your legs and hips, not your arm, this is where power comes from. Next, when your front foot lands your shoulders should remain closed (be in line with home, whereas your shoulders point towards a left handed hitter.). Also, keep your glove higher through delivery.

Things that I would research if I were in your position:

Google “Pitching Mechanics, flying open”.
Google “Pitching Mechanics, leading with front hip”.
Then just google a big name righty in the Majors and watch a slow motion video on YouTube of his delivery. I’m a lefty and I did this with Kershaw and Sabathia (Although both quite different).

Let me know what you think. I research mechanics extensively and I play college ball as well.

Hi,
So i read all of your comments and made a new video.
This is at the end of my throwing session, so I was warm and really throwing (at least that was supposed to happen). But this was my first real throwing session in a month and stuff didn’t feel very comfortable and accuracy was real bad.

I tried to push of more with my legs. Work more with my hips and keep my shoulder closed longer. Is this going the right way?

A few things I see are:

1. You are landing with your stride foot pointed toward the first base line. I see this in your case as a result of poor glove side control. You allow your glove side to drop during stride. The glove side needs to remain firm and closed off.

2. Glove side control. As I stated above the glove side needs to be firm and in control. In my opinion you need to get to an equal and opposite position with your arms. Your throwing side drops and falls way behind your back causing the arm to lag.

3. Your head pulls out and up with your shoulders following almost at the point of foot strike. You’re basically pulling any momentum you’ve gained through stride away from the plate, pulling backwards.

4. You appear to never firm up or allow your weight to transfer to your front leg. In others words your momentum to the plate throughout your motion is not there. Arm action through deceleration looks OK but without momentum you may as well not stride at all.

Now, with that being said, I really feel that you would benefit from backward chaining your mechanics. Working on keeping everything in line with the plate and shifting momentum to the plate. I find the rocker drill helps you feel weight shift and also will help with hip/shoulder separation.

I agree with much of what the others have said. But my suggestion is simply try getting your butt moving forward sooner and faster.

The comments about your looking like you’re just going through the motion with no real intent is due, IMHO, to not getting your center of mass moving forward aggressively. Use your lower half to get yourself moving forward earlier and faster. Put the focus on your butt or hips - not your front leg/foot. (You tend to reach with the front leg/foot which can create the perception that you moving forward aggresively.)

I think many of the issues Turn identified should improve with the change in timing resulting from getting your center of mass moving forward more aggressively.

[quote=“Roger”]…my suggestion is simply try getting your butt moving forward sooner and faster.[/quote]This is great advice. Take it seriously.

Then rotate the h*** out of your shoulders to throw the ball with some actual intent. A big part of your issue is just that. Like others said, you look like you’re just “going through the motions”. Move faster, generally. You’re too concerned with looking like a pitcher and not enough pitching like one.

Thanks for the tips, Awesome. I can see some real flaws now.

Turn,
I now understand the problem with my glove side. Will work on that! Samjacoby also mentioned it, but didnt realize it was that big of a problem yet. Was totaly focused on my lower body, I kind of ignored my upper body.

The problem with my stride foot is something I have known about for a while, but cant seem to get rid of it.
But I together with a friend thought of a possible fix. I noticed a lot of pro pitcher stretch their stride leg after their balance position. Which helps leading with the butt. And i also think this should help my stride foot landing position.

I dont understand your point 3. So would you mind explaining that?

I guess i need to put more intent in using my lower body. I now realize me throwing with intent is actualy me just throwing as hard as i can with just my arm.

Thank you for this observation! This is spot on.

Points I will work on for the next video: (Will probably be in 2 weeks, because i have a big test coming up)
Firming up my glove side
Leading with the hip. Stretching the stride leg after balance position.
Throw with more intent with my lower body

[quote=“Alex56”]The problem with my stride foot is something I have known about for a while, but cant seem to get rid of it.
But I together with a friend thought of a possible fix. I noticed a lot of pro pitcher stretch their stride leg after their balance position. Which helps leading with the butt. And i also think this should help my stride foot landing position.[/quote]

I strongly suggest just trying to get going sooner/faster first and worry about the other things after you get that down. The reason is by moving forward soonder/faster, you’ll be changing the timing of your overall delivery which will affect the timing of all of the individual parts of your delivery. Specifically, you’ll be shortening (timing-wise) your delivery which means each of the individual parts will have less time to do their thing. I would expect the front foot to clean itself up at least somewhat because it won’t have as much time to open up as far as it does. And you might not have time to stretch your stride leg which, if I’m understanding you correctly, would cause your stride foot to take a longer and more time-consuming path into foot plant.

[quote]I dont understand your point 3. So would you mind explaining that?

I guess i need to put more intent in using my lower body. I now realize me throwing with intent is actualy me just throwing as hard as i can with just my arm. [/quote]
Agreed.

Thank you for this observation! This is spot on.

Points I will work on for the next video: (Will probably be in 2 weeks, because i have a big test coming up)
Firming up my glove side
Leading with the hip. Stretching the stride leg after balance position.
Throw with more intent with my lower body[/quote]
I suggest working on better use of the lower half first and on the glove second. That way you can see what the effect of changing your timing has on everything else. Who knows, the glove may clean itself up too.

Consider using the Hershiser drill to practice not only leading with the front hip but also (and more importantly?) shifting your center of mass earlier than you currently do.

[quote=“Alex56”]Points I will work on for the next video:
Throw with more intent with my lower body[/quote]
Yes, yes, yes. However, you are very slow with your upper body rotation as well. Take Roger’s advice on getting the centre of mass moving sideways at the target. That’s job 1. Just don’t lose sight of the fact that shoulder rotation is a key factor. That also requires intent. It needs to be explosive as well.

[quote]I dont understand your point 3. So would you mind explaining that?

I guess i need to put more intent in using my lower body. I now realize me throwing with intent is actualy me just throwing as hard as i can with just my arm.

[/quote]

As your lower body moves forward it appears as being held back by your upper body giving the appearance of the head and shoulders pulling out.

Follow Roger and DM’s advice. Get your momentum moving forward sooner and faster. Keep in mind that your shoulders rotation as DM said needs to be explosive as well.

Take the brakes off!
What you’ve been doing up till now is analogous to driving with the brakes on, and that’s what’s slowing you down, not to mention interfering with the purpose of “The Secret”. You have to release the brakes and step on the gas pedal. 8)

As promised new video. Maybe a bit much, but ok.
What i did do in these video’s is really focus on the lower half, not really paying much attention to my lazy glove side arm

I guess i still have a long way to go. But to me it did feel more explosive and i think it also looks more explosive?
Still think i need to move forward faster.
You guys seeing improvement?

Ur stride is too long for ur rhythm and coordination

I’d be very curious to see what happens if, as a bit of a test in a practice session, you were to focus on how fast you can rotate your shoulders when you throw.