2 seam

Right now my 2 seam has an average 12in break, my pitching coach says it is just my natural movment but that it is very odd to have this much break but in a good way. I don’t twist my arm or anything and my grip is the normal 2 seam, does anybody think that this will affect my pitching when i get older, im only an 8th grader and wondering if this will affect high school or college

[quote=“AustinL3”]Right now my 2 seam has an average 12in break, my pitching coach says it is just my natural movment but that it is very odd to have this much break but in a good way. I don’t twist my arm or anything and my grip is the normal 2 seam, does anybody think that this will affect my pitching when i get older, im only an 8th grader and wondering if this will affect high school or college[/quote]If we saw your movement, it would be easier to see if there is something you are doing wrong. I’ve never heard of a 2 seam breaking 12 inches. That is the average to below average curve ball break…

As long as he isn’t doing anything wrong with his arm,
he might as well keep throwing this two-seam (or whatever it is).
Maybe he has found a new kind of pitch.
I take it he has used it in a game before-
I wonder, does it get the batters out?

As long as he isn’t doing anything wrong with his arm,
he might as well keep throwing this two-seam (or whatever it is).
Maybe he has found a new kind of pitch.
I take it he has used it in a game before-
I wonder, does it get the batters out?[/quote]
If the grip is proper and his mechanics are good, then don’t mess with it. If the grip is improper or the mechanics are bad, it can cause an injury down the road.

Like you, I’ve never seen a two-seam fastball that breaks 12 inches.
It would be interesting if AustinL3 could post a video of his grip
and pitching mechanics when throwing this two-seam.

I will work on a vid and my two seam is the same as the two seam that Steven ellis has taught only I press my index and middle finger together

Interesting. You say you have your index and middle fingers very close together—and this could account for the big break. What you’re throwing is probably close to a sinker, which is basically what the two-seam fast ball is. So don’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

Austin,
My son features that very pitch, a sinking fastball; Yes with that much break, along with a nasty circle change, and a cutter. He is currently #2 on JV as an 8th grader and will move to the varsity starting rotation next year as a freshman.

If you’re maintaining fastball velocity, getting that much sink on the pitch consistently, and you’re comfortable throwing and spotting it, then keep up the good work you’re probably doing it right.