2-seam with no movement at all

it seams my two seamer has little to no movement at all, just a slow 4-seam fastball for the most part.
I’m 14 and around 120-125 and about 5 foot 7 and a half. Should I try putting more pressure on one of my fingers, or even try moving around wear my thumb is?

Absolutely, either one of those is a great place to start. Remember don’t get too worked up if the two-seam or any pitch dont work right away. Sometimes it takes years to develop a pitch the way you want it too, just keep after it.

Sometimes its luck of the draw. If you have a certain arm action and the way your mechanics work you might not get as much movement as some. Don’t let it disrupt your pitching. I wouldn’t worry about movement on your 2-seam there are many other pitches out there.

i disagree with bower on this one.

It is not luck of the draw because i have experimented with the 2 seam with sidearm and 3/4 and over hand.

instead of releasing it fingers behind it, release it fingers on top.
Also cut through with your INDEX but it should roll off your middle finger last.

I strugle with getting on top of the ball it is just hard for me to get on top of the ball.

For me, I have to adjust my arm slot to around 3/4 to get the most movement on a 2-seam. Right now I’m working on consistently locating that position and my release.

Try adjusting your grip, adding pressure on your fingers, etc. I usually grip the ball with extra pressure from my index finger.

Good luck.

I agree with Bower, arm angle, release point and you mechanics have a lot to do with the pitches in your arsenal. I believe it would be near impossible for someone throwing completely submarine to ever come close to a Barry Zito 12-6 Curve.

With that being said, you may not be able to ever throw a two-seam but if you experiment you may find you can throw a cutter or maybe some solid off-speed pitches.

A 2 seamer is more a product of the hand position at release rather than grip or finger pressure. Putting extra pressure on the index finger doesn’t make much sense because the ball is going to come off the middle finger last anyway.

I think some people try to make the 2 seamer move too much rather than just gripping it and throwing it. When the wrist is at a position of slight pronation at release, that’s how the movement is created. Brandon Webb’s sinker doesn’t have that exceptional movement because of the 2 seam grip, it’s all his hand position and getting “through the ball.” Webb’s 4 seamer would sink just as much as his 2 seamer because of this.

[quote=“alanshadow22”]I agree with Bower, arm angle, release point and you mechanics have a lot to do with the pitches in your arsenal. I believe it would be near impossible for someone throwing completely submarine to ever come close to a Barry Zito 12-6 Curve.

With that being said, you may not be able to ever throw a two-seam but if you experiment you may find you can throw a cutter or maybe some solid off-speed pitches.[/quote]

He said what i meant a lot better than what i said. It may not be worth the hastle to change everything to get it to where you can throw a good 2-seam instead learning another pitch would be better.

Well I’ve been working on it, and now I actullay have developed a decent one breaking to the inside for a right handed batter(im a righty). But how do you position your fingers to throw a cutter or sinker? im just curious on trying stuff out to see what works or what doesn’t. I think I kinda had a few two seamers with a bit of a cut or sink, not really sure.

Not sure on the cutter.

For a sinker you can read here
http://www.stevenellis.com/steven_ellis_the_complete/2007/05/how_to_throw_a_.html

Here’s another grip used by Jake Westbrook
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060605&content_id=1489956&vkey=cle_gameface&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Rotate the ball a little, move your grip around, add pressure on a finger, etc.