2 Seam only

What are your thoughts of throwing strictly 2 Seams/Sinkers and no 4 seams. Through my pitching career i’ve always been able to throw 2 Seams better than 4 seams. Do you think i should still work the 4 seam just to have it? I do fine with just the 2 Seam and i get a lot of run and sink with it. I can locate it on both sides of the plate so I don’t see any problems with it, what are everyones thoughts?

MM2,

The reason for throwing both a 2 and 4 seamer is to have more options to make the hitters have to think. I submit that if you throw a 2 better than a 4, you’re doing something incorrectly, but of course that depends on what you mean by “better”. Are you confusing “better”, as in how well you execute the pitch, with “success”, as in getting batters out?

By better i mean that I throw it more accurately while i have trouble finding the zone with the 4

if you are more comfortable with a 2 seam and have more success with it then stick with it.

When Jim Brosnan was with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1959 he was talking one day with pitching coach Clyde King, and he complained about both his fast balls, the two-seamer and the four-seamer, neither of which was working for him. King promptly called in a catcher and had Brosnan throw for some ten minutes, using both pitches. He then told Brosnan to drop the four-seamer and go with the two-seamer which was working much better for him. Brosnan became a sinker-slider pitcher and went on to have great success with that combination in subsequent years.
The two-seamer is also known as the sinker, and that can be a most devastating pitch. You might do well to stick with it and develop a good slider and a really fantastic changeup, and you should do all right with this particular combination. 8)

I wouldnt worry too much about it. If youre more confident in your two seamer, throw it. Some guys just like the feel of the seams that way. The grip just feels better. I never got much movement on my two seamer but still threw it inside to righties. I always threw my four seamer outside to righties.

A very important concept young pitchers need to understand…where to throw each type of fb and why.

I do the same thing, it’s just more comfortable and I have more command. A slight decrease in velocity but that’s all.

Well, I’d be curious to see the numbers on that because its backwards from what’s “normal”. But for sure you should be throwing what gives you the best opportunity to throw it where you want to.

I don’t know how old you are or what your aspirations are, but if they are to have the greatest chance of pitching beyond HS, I’d sure do what I had to, to find out how to get that 4 to the point of having it when the guns come out and the evaluations are going on. If you can throw a 2 with command and control, there’s really no reason you can’t throw the 4 at least close to as well.

Good luck!

i throw 2seam,circle change,and pistol or breaking ball and im 13 is that good
:?:

[quote=“REllis#2”]I THROW 2SEAM,CIRCLE CHANGE,AND PISTOL OR BREAKING BALL AND IM 13 IS THAT GOOD
:?:[/quote]

no

Well, I’d be curious to see the numbers on that because its backwards from what’s “normal”. But for sure you should be throwing what gives you the best opportunity to throw it where you want to.

I don’t know how old you are or what your aspirations are, but if they are to have the greatest chance of pitching beyond HS, I’d sure do what I had to, to find out how to get that 4 to the point of having it when the guns come out and the evaluations are going on. If you can throw a 2 with command and control, there’s really no reason you can’t throw the 4 at least close to as well.

Good luck![/quote]

My observation of the 2-seam in youth is that it is adnormal 'cause most kids get no “movement” from it. As you’re probably aware, my 11U son throws the 2-seamer exclusively as his FB because it does fade inside to RH hitters, and when he’s on, it’s tough to hit. Still, we practice the 4-seamer during bullpen sessions. As these kids are still developing, there have been some days when his 2-seamer doesn’t move and he needs other options. Also, when he needs to hit the outside part of the plate or get a high FB on the hitter, the 4-seamer is a better option than the 2. So, there’s a reason and a time for each pitch. As he gets older, being able to command the whole plate with a variety of pitches instead of one side of the plate will be to his advantage.