2 seam fastball

What is the proper movement for a 2 seam fastball.

I have had a young player (11) tell me that an instructor told him the 2 seamer moves all over the place i.e. up and down. The inference being it is too tough a picture to use.

A two seam traditionally moves down and to the throwing arm side. (arm side run)

Often variations are used by “sinker ballers” for instance Kevin Brown throws a two seam sinker. These pitches get a bit more downward bite.

If a player is getting on the side of the ball than yes a two seam could move glove arm side, but it would do so with any grip you put on the ball.

No pitch will truly move up, people say a 4 seem will go up, but it’s really it’s lack of drop that causes an minor optical allusion.

All in all the fact that resistance is distributed unevenly on a two seam, where as the 4 seem generally has even resistance. Thus a greater chance of movement, however, if variables remain the same movement should be fairly consistent as well.

Theoretically, a 2-seamer will just sink vertically (thus the name).

This will vary depending on the angle of the wrist and the arm slot at the release point because can tilt the axis of rotation off the horizontal. If you cut a 2-seamer (throw it off-center), then it will move both vertically and horizontally.

It can be harder to control because the forces applied to the ball by the air aren’t symmetrical as with a 4-seamer.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]

No pitch will truly move up, people say a 4 seem will go up, but it’s really it’s lack of drop that causes an minor optical allusion. .[/quote]

I thought that only 2 pitchers could throw it fast enough to make it rise,
sandy koufax and randy johnson?, im pretty sure it actually rises 2!

Studies show that to rise, the ball would have to spin twice as fast as the fastest humans are able to make the ball spin.

What happens is that the spin of a 4-seamer produces more lift and makes it fall less than does a 2-seamer.

It’s all relative.