2 Seam Fastball

My 2 seamer has no movement on it at all and it is just like a 4 seam fastball. Any help on throwing one?

One thing that comes to mind is that you may be choking the ball in your hand, killing the rotation.

This might be a good time and place to revisit a question I have seen raised before, I believe on this forum.

Can a two seam fastball be thrown effectively, that is, with movement, from 46’ at Little League velocities?

I have read that either 46’ is too short a distance for a two seam FB to acquire movement and/or Little League velocities are not fast enough for a two seam FB to acquire movement. Any truth to these claims?

My 10 year old son is starting to throw a two seam FB (46’) and I’m not sure whether it has any movement. Sometimes it looks like it does and other times not so much. :?

Good topic. My son is 11 and his 2 seam moves inconsistently. In a recent bullpen he threw 10 in a row and 3 moved. I hate to see him use this pitch without movement, hanging a slower fastball over the plate. His changeup is nasty so he is not throwing 2 seams in games.

[quote=“south paw”]This might be a good time and place to revisit a question I have seen raised before, I believe on this forum.

Can a two seam fastball be thrown effectively, that is, with movement, from 46’ at Little League velocities?

I have read that either 46’ is too short a distance for a two seam FB to acquire movement and/or Little League velocities are not fast enough for a two seam FB to acquire movement. Any truth to these claims?

My 10 year old son is starting to throw a two seam FB (46’) and I’m not sure whether it has any movement. Sometimes it looks like it does and other times not so much. :?[/quote]

From my observations and discussions with people who do the TB circuit, movement on the 2-seamer in youth ball would not be the norm. My son had incredible movement on his 2-seamer at 9, even better at 10, and none at 11. He has movement again at 12. It’s a progression of a natural; delivery, velocity and a progression of learning how to throw the ball to get the movement. At 9 and 10, it was just natural movement and good velocity. At 11, when his fastball was reaching 68 to 70, he lost the movement as the ball would break to late. He had wonderful movement at 54’ mounds, but not at 50’ or 46’. Although throwing harder this year, he’s retained the movement by rolling the ball through his fingers during release. His one problem is the pitch tails significantly in on the right handed hitter, and there’s a 1 in 75 chance of nailing the batter if he releases the ball a fraction of a second early.

The movement on his ball isn’t taught; it came naturally, and over time he’s learned how to get more and different types of movement. As for effective, his strike % is around 68% for the year, and his last two games were at 72%.

I have not seen or known any other kid have movement on the 2-seamer at 46’.

My son is a RHP. When 2S FB’s not working PC says he’s cutting the ball or not staying on top of it. Also causes 4S to cut across plate rather than straight.

Mike it sound like your son has found a recipe for himself for a nice 2 seamer and a cutter.

Yep, Pitching Coach tells him he needs to learn to cut it when he wants it & throw it correctly the rest of the time though. Hopefully he’ll get there!

One thing I have noticed with getting to work with so many 10 to 14 y/o kids over the last several years is how the 2 seam differs with them. Some kids there will be little difference between the 2 and 4 seam. Some will have very good movement with it (even at 46 feet). With a few of my pitchers I will use the two seam as a type of placebo pitch. When they are having trouble locating the 4 seam I will tell them to switch over to the two seam for a bit. With a few my kids this will work magic. Honestly, at times I believe this to be a mental boost as well as or even more than a physical help. Just the refocusing of changing the grip can snap them out of a nervous or mental lapse.

Another thing worth trying for a kid having trouble with finding a change up that works for him is to teach him the two seam, then have him grip the ball in two seam fashion then move the middle finger to the center of the ball and replace the open spot (the right seam) with the third finger. I realize this is basically a straight change but by showing it in this fashion to some kids will make a instant good change up. I have one eleven y/o and one 12 y/o that i am working with this year that just couldn’t master any change up without sacrificing mechanics but by showing them this pitch in this fashion gave them a nice consistent change.

I also still believe we must remember kids are not robots and none of us have the magic gift to teach or even understand what pitch or technique will work best for them until we work them out completely as an individual. I knew at around 12 or 13 that I was never going to be a fireballer. The 2 seam had good movement for me and was what I could throw for my best accuracy. This combination worked well for me and even when playing catch i would normally throw the ball with a two seam grip. 2 seam movement is great and nipping the corners with it is even better :).

Thanks a lot! What pitch would you recomend now? Once I take out the 2 seamer all I have now is a 4 seamer.

Thanks.

Maybe I missed something but “Don’t take out the 2 seamer” that is going to be your workhorse pitch, I would only use the 4 seam when I need something down and straight.

Yep. Agree with bu, don’t take out the 2 seamer. Develop it, along with a change.
The 2 seamer can be a great pitch at any age in my opinion. I don’t buy into the thought that it can’t be thrown at 46’. My son has used a 2 seamer from 9U til … He is a HS freshman/sophomore now.

The combination of the 2 seamer and change, with the ability to spot the 4 seam can be very effective.

I’m with Turn and bu, don’t drop the two seamer you’re going to need it.

Today I got movement by pressure on my middle finger and moved my index finger right next to my middle finger. Is this still a 2 seam fastball or is it a cutter?
FYI-I am a righty