2 seam fastball with movement

how do u guys throw a 2 seam fastball with movement that runs into rightys?

Finger Pressure is the key. My 13yr old has it going for him. His 2 seamer usually results in a strikeout or a ground ball to shortstop/3b.

Mariana Rivera puts a bit of pressure on his index finger I believe. I also new a fella who would grip his two seam in between the seams and it worked very well for him as well.

Good luck!

Its different for everyone!

i have a 4seamer that tails into a RH batter
A 2seamer that tails away from a RH batter
A Splitty that tails away and drops down for a RH batter

and if i need it i throw a slurve

2 seamer is all about arm angle, grip on the ball (how far apart your finges are and what way you hold the seam) and pressure on the ball.

hope that helps!

2 Seam that runs in to righties? Turn it over if you are throwing from any slot but over the top. It should sink and run in.If tyou are throwing from low 3/4’s it should really take a dive, Ian.

2 Seam that runs in to righties? Turn it over if you are throwing from any slot but over the top. It should sink and run in. If you are throwing from low 3/4’s it should really take a dive, Ian.

nuh 4 seamer = into righties

2 seamer = away from righties + a darty movement

i throw 3/4

Turning the ball over is the classic sinker ball really made famous by Mel Stottlemeyer, Ian.

Here’s what my coach teaches me…

If you take a two seamer (from a RHP standpoint) and slide the index finger next to the middle, it’s a cutter (will tail away from a RHB). The other variation is applying pressure to the middle finger with the index still on the opposite seam. Whichever works for you, I like to slide my index finger over and tilt the ball 45­ degrees in the glove.

If you take a two seamer and slide the middle finger next to the index finger, it’s still a two seam but for me it seems to have more movement if I do this. This grip is much tougher for me to control so I just apply pressure on the index finger with the middle finger still on the seam.

I hold my four seamer with the bottom end of the “horsehoe” to the left of my index and middle fingers. It is different for everyone, but somehow I manage to get a cut fastball type movement on my four seam fastball. I still throw a cutter because it breaks more than my four seam.

I just have one question, are you supposed to apply pressure with the fingertips or have the pressure run along the entire seam? Right now I apply pressure with the tips of my fingers

what i do is , hold a 2 seam fqastball…then move my figers slightly to the right so that my index finger is in between the seams and my middle finger if off to the side…then you add pressure to you middle finger and bam , instant cutter to righties

[quote=“el3ctro”]nuh 4 seamer = into righties

2 seamer = away from righties + a darty movement

i throw 3/4[/quote]hahaha ur two seamer is a cutter there buddy

Balls move different for everyone, case in point look at Pedro Martinez. His fingers are yardsticks and his ball moves all over the place. Also arm angles play a role, two pitchers may hold the ball the same way but get two different types of movement. Here are some possible things to work on.

1. Pressure points. As discussed in another thread using your fingertips and putting pressure on the seams and on the leather will change the movement of your ball.

2. Arm Angles. Some pitchers, because of the arm angle they have, will never be able to get the same sort of movment that another pitcher does, for example an over the top pitcher may not have the run and sink of a 3/4 guy but at the same token that over the top pitcher may be able to throw a 12-6 zito-esque curveball.

3. After you long toss and get your arm loose play around with grips. Move your fingers around on the seams and put different pressures on them. You may just be able to get the kind of movement you are looking for.

Just make sure it rolls off your fingers.

I put my fingers together between the seams on the slick. Then I put my thumb about 8 o’clock on the side of the baseball. Then when I throw it I make sure I really reach out and let go of it out front. This will give it a good late movement. It really jams righties and makes lefties miss.

stephen_nelson are u a lefty or righty?