2 arm slots

Interesting article on arm slots on Inside Pitching here:

http://www.insidepitching.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=807

To summarize, the coach suggests that there are generally two different types of acceptable arm actions for baseball pitchers: 1) “elbow up,” and 2) “down back up.” With elbow up, when the hands separate the throwing elbow moves up into a position even with or higher than the shoulder. With down back up, the throwing hand drops down as the hands separate and extends into a long arc until it reaches its highest point.

Do you agree, disagree? Which method do you use?

I was down back up.

It seems to me that in order to explain things like arm slots and arm angles one has to have an advanced degree in higher mathematics. Also, it seems to me that there are a lot of things these people omitted in their “explanation”—the importance of getting the whole body into the action, what happens when a sidearmer uses the crossfire, you get the idea. Yes, the article was interesting—but woefully incomplete, and unnecessarily complicated in its incompleteness.
They should have just asked Orlando Hernandez, who uses more arm slots and arm angles than one can shake a 34-ounce bat at. One good demonstration from him would say it all. :slight_smile:

I am a “down back up” pitcher.

If I had to guess, I’d say the “elbow up” is something taught where the “down back up” is more natural. I think the “down back up”, if properly in sync with the rest of your body and mechanics, would allow for higher velocities, no? The “elbow up” method, from what I can gather and have seen, allows for no trajectory or momentum from the movement your arm makes with “down back up”.

i defiantly agree with that. and i qas defiantly a down back up.