1st and 3rd situation

All right, here is a question, as a pitcher, guys on 1st and 3rd as I take the rubber, guy on 1st goes, should I: (remember I am 14 and my team doesn’t move the ball the best)

1. turn toward the runner between 1st and 2nd, freeze him, then turn to look at guy on 3rd

2. turn and run at the runner between 1st and 2nd immediately, wait for my team to yell 4, if the runner at 3rd goes, turn and throw to home. If the runner doesn’t go, get as tight a pickle as possible and let it play out.

3. something that I am not thinking of?

situation is also that the run matters and isn’t early in the game!

Buwhite, there’s one thing you have to watch out for, and that is that you have to step off the rubber before throwing to any base, because you do NOT want to get called for a balk. If that happens the runner on third will score and any other runners will advance one base, and the one thing that has to be prevented is that runner on third scoring.
Let’s look at the situation. Runners on first and third, say there’s one out, it’s the eighth inning and your team is hanging on to a one-run lead. Forget about the guy on first—you have to watch the runner on third. Now there was a situation like that the other day, the Yankees and Baltimore, and Joba Chamberlain was pitching. He threw a wild pitch that went to the backstop, and the runner on third broke for the plate—but that wild pitch ricocheted off the backstop and right back to the catcher, who threw to Chamberlain who had rushed to cover the plate—and the runner found himself blocked by Chamberlain’s leg and never touched the plate. The umpire correctly called him out. That’s one way to do it, but a lot depends on that ricochet, and it might be a trifle risky.
A better idea might be to have your infield go to double-play depth and then pitch to the batter, get him to hit one on the ground to one or another of the infielders, and go for a DP or at least a force at home. And if the runner on first takes second base, so what? There would be two out, and you’d have some breathing room. Or you could do what Mariano Rivera does—just strike out the batter and get the next one to pop up! :slight_smile: 8)

The tip would be from my infielders of “step off” so I always do. So after I step off, am I just giving up 2nd base or how should it be played.

Is there a difference how I play it earlier in the game or with a good lead?

Most situations I am solid with but this one is a real question.

I don’t think it would make any difference—the whole point is to keep the runner on third from scoring. 8)

Ok, with the run on 3rd meaning somethig I don’t mind just giving up 3rd!

What about early in the game same situation, no outs, I do like playing that like this, “Step Off”, throw to 2nd baseman, he then has the play in front of him and gets the runner to turn back or throws home…does everyone agree that this is the way what this should be played?

This is why baseball is the ultimate game its like chess, every situation is different, is the lead off hitter on 3rd with blazing speed? or its the number 4 hitter who is slightly over weight, I think I would step off and run at him while keeping my eye on third run him to 2nd and make the play late so he cant get in a rundown if possible, if there down one late the cant risk losing the runner at third , they are stealing because they dont believe you r going to contest it. if you dont contest it and get dont the out u now have the winning run at second and still one out, (you lose your double play chance) or one deep flyball and its tied anyway. iam assuming they wouldnt steal with 2outs. at 14 i would think you should make that play as a team most of the time