19 year old LHP Mechanics

Attached youtube link let me know if you have any feedback. Thank you.

Welcome bro. Glad to have you on the forum.

Two things: Come set with the feet closer. I know your working on your rhythm, but your feet need to be a lot closer in the set.

When you land, land firm on that front foot and don’t move it. Your front foot spins/keeps spinning, so instead of allowing you to brace up against a firm front leg, everything leaks. Land with your front for slightly closed or directly toward the target, and then keep it firmly in place until your heel lifts from the momentum of your follow through. But it’s not a spinning movement.

Much appreciated! I will work on keeping that lower half more stable and rigid during my follow through.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I hate portable mounds. I’m wondering how much and in what ways that portable mound is making you change your delivery. I’m hesitant to invest too much time analyzing your video knowing that what I’m seeing may not be what you do on a real mound.

I will make one comment… In regards to Steven’s comment about your front foot spinning, you might try starting on the glove side of the rubber and striding towards a line drawn from the center of the rubber to the center of home plate instead of starting in the middle and striding away from it. This has an effect on how your body aligns itself with the target and what direction your center of mass moves (which might not match your stride direction).

I will have to keep that in mind. I would try it but with season starting on Thursday I might have to put it off until summer. My pitching coach is pretty adamant about staying on your throwing hand side of the mound so you can work better angles against the batter.

Righties on the right, lefties on the left is a conventional wisdom teach to me. You need to understand the trade-offs.

First, imagine a line drawn from your current release point to the catcher’s mitt. Then imagine a line drawn from your release point to the catcher’s mitt if you started on the glove side of the rubber. Assume for discussion sake that those two release points would be 10" apart at the rubber and would converge to the same point in the catcher’s mitt. Now imagine how close those two lines would be where they pass through the strike zone. Obviously, they will be fairly close together - close enough, in my opinion, to not make that big of a difference to a batter (unless maybe if you stride way offline from the target and come back using the crossfire).

Now consider that your shoulders want to square up to the target and that striding away from the centerline of the rubber means they have a “bigger corner to turn” to get squared up. The question is can you accomodate this without doing something else that is detrimental to your delivery? A common thing to happen is for pitchers to shift their posture to the glove side to help get squared up. A late posture change will usually pull the release point back and raise it up. If your trying to throw a breaking pitch down and in to a RH batter, this will make it harder to get the pitch down and it will likely reduce movement. Extra effort may be needed. And later in a game as you start to fatigue, it will become even more difficult to remain consistent.

So, the trade-offs are the possible benefits from the slightly “better” angles vs. the possible issues associated with getting aligned with the target. I hope this info will help you be more self-aware and better evaluate what’s best for you.