18 Year Old Trying to Get to Next Level

I am an 18 year old senior. 6’6" 185 lbs. FB is sitting around 83 mph. Since this video I have started the TuffCuff Strength and Conditioning Manual for Pitchers, and been very focused at working out my legs. I have been told by a couple college coaches that I need to work on breaking my hands as soon as my leg reaches its highest point.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Always excited to learn more about pitching. Thank you so much!

As a Suggestion, follow your drive forward, more with your head, instead of keeping your head up and swinging it to your left.

I know this will be awkward at first, but try and follow your glove as it stretches out, with your chin closely following it. Keep you head into the pitch, don’t bailout early by picking it up and then Peter Panning off to your glove side.

Also, try and keep you glove tucked in closer to your upper ribs on the left, as your finish posture. In doing so, your elbow of your glove arm will be pointing directly back to second base (almost). When you finish with this kind of posture, you will be exchanging your glove side shoulder with your pitching side shoulder. Think of burying your pitching shoulder into your catcher.

This “winging it” off to the left is taking valuable power from your pitch in addition to making your very susceptible to the bunt on your right side.

These suggestions will come at a price - velocity, at first. But, as time goes on you’re going to sense more control and a real talent for controlling your pitch anywhere on the plate.

So, give my suggestions a try, come back and let me know how things went.

Otherwise, you look pretty good for your body makeup and your size.

Thanks Coach Baker I will keep in touch!

It would help you a lot if you did a dry run with my suggestions, first.

Don’t take the field and try and howitzer the ball, while at the same time taking my suggestions as practice in real time.

As you feel comfortable with my suggestions, you’re going to notice one thing to yourself … “hey, I can put this ball anywhere I want!” You’ll be able to go with your four seam ( at 1/2 game speed) high and inside, down and away, paint the black on either side of the plate, and so on.

You’ll also have less fatigue and greater body control overall.

Your physical demeanor is very good. Your concentration plus your athletic ability speaks well for you pitching ability with my suggestions.

Just remember - KEEP YOU HEAD IN TO PITCH ALL THE WAY. KEEP IT GOING DOWN WITH THE PITCH, WITHOUT SNAPPING IT UP AFTER YOUR RELEASE PHASE OF YOUR PITCHING CYCLE.

Here’s what I’m trying to get across. See how this pitcher STAYS WITH HIS PITCH. His head is right along with his pitch - no bailing out. See how his shoulders turn, accepting the exchange of his glove shoulder with his pitching shoulder. See how pitching shoulder is totally committed … burying it into his catcher.

This takes a lot of practice, in slow motion to understand and to comprehend what your doing. In return, you’ll have control. Control way beyond those in your age group and level of competition. And as you get this down pat, if you have a slider or other breaking pitch, you’ll be amazed at well you can command it/them.

http://s216.photobucket.com/user/CoachBaker/media/staydown_zpse346f555.jpg.html][img]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/staydown_zpse346f555.jpg[/img

Thanks again Coach Baker. I watched the video several times, and am understanding what you are saying. I never thought about really committing until you said something. I have struggled in the past getting to bunts down the third base line. This helps a lot! I will post another video after a few weeks of work.

As you start with putting all this to action, you’re going to find that it may be taxing on your lower back and abdominal muscles. You may also find that your legs are telling you that they need a little more in the conditioning department.

This is all normal and should be expected.

However, you don’t impress me as one who would miss the boat on this.

You have a natural gift of athletic dexterity. Your ability to move the way you do in your video suggests that you’ve been pitching for a while, and have worked hard at projecting your athletic abilities. Use this strength to enhance your presence on the mound and control the plate.

I have no doubt about your bringing everything in focus. No doubt at all. Just take it slow and easy at first. Don’t rush this. Gradually work up to a steady pace that’s both dependable and predictable for your own experiences. Don’t worry about the guesses of others. Stay the course.