18 Year Old Mechanics Updated

My mechanics from 3 months ago.

My mechanics now:

Thanks to some advice from @Coach_Baker I have tried to keep my head all the way into the pitch without snapping it up after release. In the last video I had not fully committed my pitching shoulder, I am working to bury it into my catcher.

Don’t know if it would be better if my glove was tucked closer into my body?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

My Road to the Draft

You fly open with your glove arm which leads to early shoulder rotation and, probably, failure to achieve maximum hip and shoulder rotation.

His timing looks a bit off going into foot strike. In slowing down the video, his throwing hand is not moving up past shoulder height until after his foot is down. Take a look at Ryan or Clemens. hand is all the way up just a frame before foot strike.

Thank you @Roger I was wondering why my glove arm looked funny, but didn’t know exactly what was wrong.

@CoachPaul I took a look at Clemens and can see what you are saying. Thanks for giving me some guys to compare to!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/open_zpstapk82wy.png
No.1, delay the turning of your stride foot until you’re about to plant it firmly at
the extension of your stride.

In effect, this will help you…
No.2, because your stride foot is trying to walk down the mound early, your hips
open up too early, thus robbing you of much need torque in your midsection while
going into your stride and release.

No.3, try and maintain as “down and flat” as possible your pivot foot. Collapse on
the instep of your pivot foot and thus keep that heel down throughout your stride
and you’ll notice immediately how much control you’ll have during and after your
release. You won’t be stutter-stepping down the mound after your release, like
you’re doing now.

Wyatt you’re coming along nicely. Remember, one step at a time to get really good
at, then move on to the next. Try not to do all these suggestions at once while loosing
focus on what you already commanded.

Fill in that hole in front of the pitcher’s rubber. That hole is part of your problem - in fact, it’s a big part of your problem(s).
That hole is forcing your pivot foot to point downward. Thus, when you end your leg lift, as you come down to start your progression forward and down the mound, your entire body is committing way too early off-balance and even drifting towards the third baseline.

Here’s a helpful hint with respect to pivot foot disciplines - wherever that pivot foot is pointing, thus your entire body weight will follow. Think of that for a second. When we walk, both feet are usually pointing forward … I know, sometimes a little to the side, but that’ natural for the sake of balancing while we walk.

In pitching, we want that pivot foot to provide as much stability and support for the body as it goes through its leg lift, then as the body starts to fall forward … NOT OFF TO ONE SIDE.

Try this little drill for yourself. Take a video of yourself from the back, with your pivot foot in a hole. Watch how the body doesn’t fall forward, straight towards the plate. It starts to drift off to the third baseline. Now fill in the hole, and start again. right off the bat you’re going to feel more in control of the body that the pivot foot is supporting, then as you fall forward notice how straight the body goes towards the plate.

By the way, pitchers that have trouble with heel spurs will deliberately dig a hole for their pivot to slide into while pitching in front of the rubber. Hence, these pitchers tend to pitch more off the ball of their pivot foot, thus they are often seen “popping” up after every pitch with control problems high - left and right.

In addition to what’s been mentioned, if after an inning - the way you’re pitching now, if you have a tendency to rub the back of your pivot leg while your sitting on the bench, your body is telling you that your straining that group of muscles running up the back of the leg just under the buttocks. So, fill in that hole before and during all your appearances.
Note: since you’re a right-handed pitcher, if your taking the mound after a lefty, that hole will not be a problem since a lefty will dig the hole going in the opposite direction. But nevertheless, still provide a flat surface for your pivot foot to work off of.

@Coach_Baker Thank you for all of this! I will work on the three mechanical issues you mentioned above, in my flat grounds and bullpens.

I have heard some coaches tell me to try and stay closed “No.1 and No. 2”, but this never made sense to me. I would try and keep my hips closed till the last minute, but that would put stress on my arm that I had never felt before. I would feel a bit of pain in my elbow.

The list you made with arrows and circles really breaks everything down for me. I think I will be able to find a little extra zip on my fastball.

Your point about the hole makes total sense. I always felt uncomfortable with the hole, but I never understood why it was uncomfortable, or why the hole was there. On much less than desirable mounds like the one I was throwing off of in this video the problem seems to worsen. Am I the one making the hole? I always thought it was the opposing pitcher.

Wyatt,

When you first take the mound, if it has been properly leveled out and smoothed over, that space in front of the rubber should be flat, hard and relatively easy to balance on. But, sometimes because of your pivot action(s), or the pitcher that worked off that mound before you - there’s a hole dug on a slant. That hole made by a right-handed pitcher without fail, will be pointing downward so that the toe of the pivot foot is on an angle down.

Here’s how a pitcher - right or left handed, digs the hole. When the pitcher is driving forward down the mound, either by shifting his weight alone or by shifting his weight and pushing off the leading edge of the rubber, the pivot turns up prematurely and the ball of the pivot foot grinds around, thus the hole is started, and gets deeper and deeper.

How does this impact your pitching? See for yourself how this simple pivot foot discipline can increase your appearance, inning after inning:
FIRST-

• Play a game of catch with someone standing, oh about eighty (80) feet away. Just make sure you’re properly limbered up and ready to toss. Don’t pitch - only toss back and forth at a relaxed arm strength.
  • Deliberately stretch out gradually with your glove side leg, then raise your heel and deliberately gently push off the ball of your pivot foot while throwing. ( remember you’re not pitching)
  • Continue this game of catch and take special note of how your body feels while under the influence of this back leg (pivot leg) and what it’s doing to your overall flexibility and comfort while tossing. Take note of how your shoulders turn, or not, how your back feels - especially your lower back (lumbar) and how the muscles along the back of that rear leg (pivot leg) feel. Any stiffness? Any tension(s)? Any lack of flexibility?
    SECOND-
  • Now your going to change your back leg’s( pivot leg’s) influence on your body by totally, and deliberately, collapse on the instep on the pivot foot, and continue your game of catch. Keep that back foot (pivot foot) collapsed and heel down for as long as you can. Don’t forget to stretch out slightly with your glove side leg.

You should instantly notice a relaxed feeling all along your back leg, up your buttucks, along your spine, across your lower back (lumbar) and so forth, while tossing.

Think of the difference in your body’s movement and how easy it is to follow the diagram and arrows that I made, how easy it is to exchange your glove shoulder with your pitching shoulder, and how easy it is now to drive forward and keep you head in the pitch.

I know these pitching mounds that you have to work off of are difficult to deal with. I know that this entire learning process is rough for you, especially putting all this together. But I sense a quality in your work ethic Wyatt, and reasonable amount of wanting to learn and put that learning to work. Just be patient with yourself and don’t reach out too far and too fast. This stuff is not for everyone. But then, you don’t impress me as just anyone.

I should point out that there is Steve, Roger, Coach Paul, and others that’ll help you a lot more than I can. I’m not from the youth/amateur game and I’m really uncomfortable giving advice to a youngster like yourself who shows so much promise. My suggestions are purely basic and not beyond that point.

Wyatt, you’re doing very well.

I cannot thank you enough. I love learning more and more on the art of pitching. There is so much different information out there it is so nice to know that a reliable source is actually taking time out of their day to help kids like myself learn valuable information.

Like most kids I want to play this game for a living, but if I cannot do that I want to help other kids learn the game, and learn it right!

That’s a great attitude! :+1:

Here are my mechanics now. Since the last video I have put in many hours working to strengthen my arm, and continue to use each day to become a better pitcher. I am now a freshman at a JUCO in south, central Washington State.

In the previous video I was 176 lbs. I am now 200 lbs. and have gained a few mph on my fastball. Coming into this fall season I was sitting around 81 consistently hitting 83 once in awhile. 3 weeks later, I am now consistently 83-84, and today in our scrimmage I hit 86 and 85 a couple of times. The weightlifting, long toss, and daily drills that we do have helped me tons, but I still need to work on my mechanics.

I still feel like my front side is inconsistent and preventing me from throwing harder than I am. I also feel there is a lot more in my legs and hip drive that can be used. I have been getting help on mechanics from my pitching coach, but I also have liked the feedback you coaches have given me. Thank you so much for taking the time and helping us young pitchers get better!

I have started a log, in case anyone wants to follow it. I use it to write down goals, and just record what I am doing daily so I can visibly see myself slowly getting better: My Road to the Draft

You have a bit of an inverted l but it isn’t that bad so focus on that last. Your main mechanical problem is your external rotation. Your arm hardly lags back and when it can’t get pulled back, more force is put on to the arm. Also, I bet you could build a bit more muscle. Your 6 foot 6 and only 195.

Just saw your new mechanics and it looks better except external rotation is still not ideal and your arm is fully coked, your elbow flection is well below 90 degrees, leaving a longer, less efficient path to throwing, decreasing velocity and making external rotation poorer.

Okay so not the best camera, at the best angle, but it is the best I could do at the time. I am now 208 lbs, up from 195 this winter. My winter went well, and I spent a lot of time in the weight room. I did lots of cleans, squats, and dead lifts. Also, doing abs daily trying to strengthen my core. I also did the Driveline Offseason throwing program with their plyocare balls and weighted baseballs.

My velo is still 83-85, but I have been working extremely hard at my mechanics. My coach is always stressing front side, and says it is where a lot of my control issues come from. In this video I am especially working on my front side. I feel like in this pen I was not getting to the extension I want. I wasn’t really getting down the mound. Also curious about what you guys think of my hip shoulder separation. I think I lose my hips way too early.

Thank you for all your help so far!!

A couple of things from my very unprofessional eye. One, you pick up your left leg then bring it straight back down then push it Forward. Wouldn’t it be better to bring it up and start it forward when you start bringing it back down? Second, it looks like you really tilt your shoulders to 2nd as you to separate your hands. Your glove elbow points to the sky which tips your weight to the back and away from the plate.

Just some, probably wrong, ramblings!

I love your attitude, work ethic and willingness to learn. I would caution not to get too crazy worrying about your mechanics. You don’t want to slow your progress by over analyzing or thinking too much. Continue to do those things that took you from 80 to 85, and when you are on the mound think about being natural, powerful and explosive. Congrats on your progress so far.

You rotate your shoulders to early, mostly because your arm isn’t really loaded back. I bit more scap load and your hips could open with your shoulders closed.

Thank you!! I try not worry about mechanics too much, but our pitching coach is always on to us about our mechanics. He tells us that if we figure out our mechanics it will lead to velocity. Not going to play summer baseball so I can continue to work on getting bigger, stronger, and becoming more explosive. I have heard very good reviews about Ron Wolforth’s Baseball Ranch, so I am going to go down and spend a few days down there, and take what I learn, and apply it over the summer. After this summer, I want to be a guy ready for Division 1 baseball. I know I am definitely not there yet, but I am working to get there.

I recently spoke to another credible source about my mechanics and he said the same thing about my hip to shoulder separation. Arm is working too hard, and core not working enough. My torso is starting toward home plate and my arm is whipping through by itself instead of the torso driving the arm rotationally. I worked on this in catch and flat ground yesterday and could kind of feel it starting to work. I have been told to do sledgehammer hits on a tire to encourage rotational force production.

Honestly, that’s not the best advice. Summer baseball is so important. Those innings are so important. And because school is out, you can workout/strength train outside of games/practices even more that during the spring season because you don’t have homework and school projects to focus on too.

I’d play summer ball and also really hit the strength training hard.