18 year old analysis , aprox. low 80's

I will be a senior next year and I am playing legion ball now in Southern Illinois. I will be 18 in a few weeks and I am looking to add at least 5 mph over the summer. May be a tough goal but its something to work at.

The video is me throwing, the first three of which are normal speed and the final is slow motion. Any help, advice, or criticism would be nice. Just tell me what you think or see, good or bad. Don’t be afraid to rip me apart, thats what will help me the most. Thanks, Travis.

Also, I have never been gunned, im throwing from 60ft. 6 in. in the video so would it be safe to say im in the low 80’s? Hard to say, i know, but just tell me what ya think.

pretty~~ good overall…

i think you also stride around 100% of your height which is good …

can you measure it 8)

8.75 inches :smiley: :wink:

No lol, its just short of my actual height, which is 6’1".

shorter by around 20 cm? 8)

can you try what is the difference if you stride 100 % of your height?
by lowering your right leg after leg kick

[quote=“hydejing”]can you try what is the difference if you stride 100 % of your height?
by lowering your right leg after leg kick[/quote]Can you elaborate on this? I like his leg motion.

i like his leg action too but i just woundering if he lower a little bit , will that helps him becoming more stable balance as he followthrough, as reaching to 100% of his height as well.

if not then thats fine

he is good now as well

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how i could add some speed? Should I continue to work on hip/shoulder separation or is it just a matter of growing and getting stronger?

heavy weight trainig is the key

yes, lifting weights is part of the process, but if my mechanics are not perfect than there are things I can be doing there to.

you have a proper arm swing,

standard stride (maybe you can try what happen if you stride 100 %)

and followthrough phase

what else mechanics do you expect ? :stuck_out_tongue:

If there is a perfect mechanics, then it can apply to everybody like most standard mechanics then everybody will looks the same with that mechanics, even if it looks the same, there may be some minor difference that our eye can’t capture, that is why there are so many discussion and fun arguement 8) in LTP from different perspective

for exmaple Greg Maddux, or Roger Clemens, Mariano Rivera, voted in overall to be the best mechanics but there are still many different mechanics in the Major, we just can’t say that they are wrong.

however i believe there is most suitable mechanics that will best suit our ergonomics and reduces any pressures or uncomfortable issues during the delivery.

I understand that but there can still be things such as hip/shoulder seperation, timing, and alignment issues that may still need to be corrected.

so maybe shooting from different angle (such as back view ) will be great for other great guys to comment ^^

like watching pitchers in TV, from back

Overall I think everything looks pretty good. Your stride is a tad short - you look like you could be driving out close to another foot (which gets you one foot closer to the plate at release and thereby increasing your perceived velocity). This will also keep your pivot foot on the ground longer. It looks like it is popping up prior to release, keeping you from utilizing all of your lower body into your throw. Once you let your stride extend a little you will notice your back foot dragging (aka drag line) just prior to release.

I am guessing the reason your stride is a tad short is because you swing your stride leg around instead of gliding straight out. Not saying that it is wrong to do that, but could be a potential limiting factor when it comes to stride length. Keep up the good work and let us know how you are doing.

All in all looks good. However, it looks like you are throwing across your
body alittle. Also you appear to swing your landing leg out which is causing you to land heel first. I like ball of the foot or flat foot landings. This allows you to get your chest over your lead leg easier,
which in turn allows you to deliver the ball more out in front. Simply
keep the left knee flexed longer.

Where is Southern Illinois do you live? I played ball at SIU for three years, and taught and coached in Southern Illinois.

WooHoo Go Saluki"s!!
I am an 86 BS Aviation Mgt. Grad.

Well hell, I live in the most southern part of Illinois! About as far south in Illinois as you can get without falling in the river! I have 5 friends that play for the Post 306 American Legion team in Metropolis. I plan on playing there next year.

I’m not as experienced as some people when it comes to pitching, but your mechanics look great! You have the proper arm movement and footwork. Maybe you could push off the mound with a little more intensity, to give a little more velocity. That’s not even criticism, just a suggestion… To get a little more speed behind your pitches, I would try to find work outs for strength and flexibility. Something that has helped me is resistance bands. They are great for flexibility, and they help your movement a lot. I’ve noticed atleast a 4 or 5mph increase to my pitches.

I live in Okawville, which is on I-64, about 41 miles from St. Louis.

SIU in Carbondale is the closest major college, SLU is close too I guess.

As far as my front leg straightening, I was always under the assumption that it should straighten out after landing instead of driving into it, is this wrong??

Thanks for the help guys.

Some pitchers straighten their landing leg after ball release and some maintain a flexed leg. Straightening the leg is not the issue.The idea is to deliver the ball out front , and get the chest over the landing leg .

Some others have touched on the main issues… here’s what I see:

1. In the early phase of your delivery, you should synch up your arms and legs; as the leg goes up the arms should go up. Not essential but it creates better rhythm and fluidity.

2. You need to get better weight shift. Get your head and torso over your back leg as you begin to drive toward the plate by leading with your hip more.

3. Work on keeping your back knee over your back ankle as long as possible to avoid early hip rotation. No need to flex the back knee any more than you do - any more and you are collapsing and will lose stability.

4. Get your front foot more in line with the back leg/foot to get rid of the big leg swing - just get it moving from the rubber to the plate in a straight path.

5. Watch the front foot - work on keeping it sideways longer. Turn it toward the target as late as possible.

6. You are definitely landing on the 3B side of the mid-line which doesn’t allow you to open up your hips enough. Get on the mid-line or slightly to the left (1B side of the line).

7. Your elbow is too low when you brace up. Work on getting it level with your shoulder at this point.

8. You are throwing off of one leg. Get your weight shift down and drive off the rubber to full back leg extension (to get a longer stride) and you will drag the back foot.

9. Your bracing is fine. Most pitchers that land toe first and keep their front legs flexed throughout tend to drift their knee over their foot and this is a tremendous loss of transfer of energy. Pitchers need to put the brakes on to transfer the energy from the lower body to the arm. Your biggest issue is just WHERE the foot comes down.

Hope that helps!

Well yesterday I learned why the leg swing is bad, I pitched on a mound that was a little steeper than what I’m used to and it threw me off and I got rocked. It was probably the worst I’ve ever thrown, and during high school ball my ERA was in the low 3’s and my K% was over 10.88 in 7 innings. So I’ve got work to do.