18 Y/o Pitching Mechanics Analysis

Hello
This is a short clip of a couple pitches from a bullpen I threw this off season. Was hoping to get some anyone’s opinion on some more things I should work on. Was clocked my junior summer at 82-83 topping out at 86 and I don’t know where I am right now. I’m 6’4’’ 200lbs and I want to increase my velocity. I have other clips of different angle if you PM me. Thank You!

I’ve had this up for a little more than a week now and I see it has almost 100 views but no comments or suggestions. I’m looking for as much input as possible please!

Do you have a 3B side view?

I’d like to see from that side before commenting on what I see.

Absolutely, here is a clip from another bullepen that I threw and captured a few pitches from the 3b angle, I know there is something funky going on with my arm action but can’t put a finger on it, and I feel like I’m falling forward or something maybe not getting enough from my hips. Like I said earlier, 6’5’’ 200lbs I feel like I should be harder than 80-82.

[/youtube]

You aren’t using your hips well, so the amount of momentum and energy from weight shift is limited. Using your hips more will play a part in increasing velo. You also seem to get your arm up a little early, so be careful at how soon you get into your “cocked” position.

I see someone else who doesn’t know about “the secret”.
In a nutshell, “the secret”, which I learned a long time ago in my own playing days from watching how the Yankees’ Big Three rotation did it, involves getting the whole body involved. Those guys were all doing the same thing; they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion, thus generating more power behind their pitches—and taking a lot of pressure off the shoulder and arm so they could throw harder and faster with less effort. I remember making a note of this and starting to work on it on my own, and as I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found I was doing the same thing that Messrs. Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat were doing. Even though I was not a fireballer by any stretch of the imagination I could throw harder and faster with less effort.
Your kid can do the same thing, and a good place to start is the “Hershiser” drill which aims to get the hips fully involved and which requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall. Working on this will help solve the problem of the hip, believe me. Get the whole body involved, and you can be sure that the old velocity will jump.

I agree with both comments about lack of energy from the lower half. Watching the video through, it seems like the upper half is generating all the power and the lower half is just along for the ride.

Think about explosive leg drive, bracing up on the front leg and powerfully rotating the hips. This will add a great deal of velocity for you. It will probably end up making your stride longer so you don’t finish so tall. Currently there is much untapped power, even a great deal left on the table from the tall finish and lack of trunk flexion.

This bottom half power, when added, will get you out there in a better position to employ the proper trunk flexion. If you were to try to get trunk flexion now, you’d probably fall forward and be out of balance at follow through, so I’d work on the leg drive and hip turn first.

CSOleson, Zita, and CoachPaul thank you all for your input I can see mostly everything that you mention. In terms of fixing these problems, I know Zita recommended the Hershiser Drill, what other drills should I be doing to be encourporating my hips and lower half more and getting it in sync with my upper half

I’d just work on the feel for strong back leg drive and landing in an equal and opposite position with the hips still loaded–without throwing. (Not open) Then progress to adding a ball and throwing with hip and shoulder turn and good external rotation with forward trunk flexion. This upper body action will get the upper half going again. Follow through will take care of itself.

When you say landing in an equal and opposite position,with my hips still loaded, I know this means my hips should still be pointing towards 3b but I don’t quite understand the equal and opposite. We may be talking about the same thing just using different terminology. Do you have an example of someone who does it really well that I could watch?

Haven’t used this in a while…

This guy was about your age and threw 90-1, see how the lower half is included?
Also note how he is a solid flow (Once the pen gets going) but he begins by “feeling” his lower half as part of his pen…now for him that leg load was a huge part of syncing his mechs…you may have some other key/cue whatever.

Watch any video of let’s say, Greg Maddux, Aroldis Chapman, Randy Johnson, etc.

When they are at full stride and just about to touch with the stride foot. Their pitching arm is straight back, their glove arm is pointing forward, their upper body is balanced over their lower body directly down the target line, they have just extended with a strong drive leg, with no tilt forward or back and no lean left or right, their head is locked on target. This is equal and opposite position.

This is the critical point to achieve just prior to foot strike and front leg brace where all the weight makes its shift onto the plant leg and rushes up the body for the arm to get cocked, explosive back hip turn, shoulder external rotation, forearm layback, trunk flexion, release and follow through.

Okay thank you I’m going to work on these things during the week doing a bunch of drills, trying to lead more with my hips and get my lower body involved more. Hopefully I can post another video possibly from a bullpen session later this week to see if I’ve improved at all. Thank you all.

Little late to the party but that’s all some great advice, and JD great clip!

Looking forward to seeing another clip of you JT

Another one of the problems that my coach had brought up to me was my arm action… As I break my hands I have a tendency to shorten up my arm circle alot, but not correctly. Instead of making it smaller, it cut it in half… almost to a semicircle. Im not sure if you can see it in the posted videos, but once i get my arm back i bring the ball straight up instead of completing the arm circle. This is kind of making my mechanics choppy and definitely hurting my velo and control. What are some things I can do to correct this, I understand it will be a tough fix because its a bad habit that I’ve done a million times.

It’s something that you need to go on video and repeatedly do it right until it clicks and then move up the intent.

If it were me, I would focus on the lower body mechanics because that may fix what problems with your arm action. The short choppyness of your arm you describe may be from your short stride and slow initial body speed. IMO

You definitely need to get the legs involved. Along with the Hershiser drill, you may want to look up the rocker drill. This will help with being equal and opposite and allow you to feel the weight shift.

As Zita said you need to learn “The Secret”

Im still working on getting some video from my next bullpen session, but its been tough with all the games that weve been playing. I got ahold of some pictures that were taken of me from the game I last threw in. My velocity still seemed down. The first one is of when I lift my leg and the second one seems to be as Im getting ready to throw the ball. I wasnt sure if something from these pictures could help tell something Im doing wrong. I feel like I am too “tilted” as I am throwing not sure if this is bad for my elbow either. Thanks

Here is a 3b view of a little bit of flatground sock and ball work i did working on keeping my weight back and my hips closed until I throw the baseball. I know CoachPaul along with zita, and jdfromfla along few other guys were giving me some things to work on mostly with my lower half. I was curious how this looked. I know its not a real bullpen and not 100% but just what do you think now that i tried to clean it up a little bit

Not sure if it’s due to the space limitations in that room, but you still seem very high through release and follow through.

Keep working on your lower half and when you get that nailed down, think about a plan for getting more trunk flexion and getting that release point out in front a lot more.

I’d probably attack the leg drive opportunity first, then worry about the arm circle second. Build things from the bottom up because if you fix something later in the delivery and go back to fix something prior, you might negate your previous fix…if that makes sense to you :shock: