18 y/o mid eighties analysis

Here is a video i took of a bullpen i threw at practice. I have been working on things and still have a lot of work to go by school ball , but let me know what you think, right or wrong.
Thanks.

1st off what are you working on?

Overall you look very good, you have nice mechanics. One thing that might help you is to get the hips going to home a bit sooner. You seem to stall over the mound. Try getting your momentum going sooner.

Something that helps me gain a few mph is to twist my hips a little bit more, don’t go as far as say like Lincecum does, but show you numbers a bit more.

At this point I am mainly looking to add velocity. My control is fine, I threw 6 innings in a game saturday and only had 1 walk and that was on a 3-2 change-up that i left low, so thats not really an issue.

Your delivery motion starts to drive forward, then, you release and “pop” up to your glove side.

Now there are posture issues that cause this - but, without getting into those in detail and having you focus on detail, try and start your pitching delivery with the idea of driving your head towards your catcher, releasing the ball IN FRONT OF YOU, and then KEEP YOUR HEAD into the pitch - don’t bail out.

This suggestion is basic pitching 101 AND requires a lot of strength with your mid section. And by the way, pitchers that end with a delivery posture like yours, usually indicate they’re getting tired, stressed, or not focusing.

Coach B.

Scouts taking notes on a pitcher, and see the posture issues after release that you have, usually fold up the lawn chair, make their way to the exit of the stands, then go some place else.

A lot of times you only get a snap-shot moment to do it right the first time, so if your looking for bigger and better things down the road, stay fit, try working out my suggestion, post some more video and take it from there.

Overall though, you look strong. Just need a few adjustments, here-n-there.

Coach B.

There is a post in this section that Steven Ellis posted. It shows him pitching.

Notice how deliberate his drive is.

Notice how FORWARD his entire body DRIVES towards his catcher.

Notice how DELIBERATE his head is, completing the hammer release of his pitch.

Everything about this pitcher (Steven) says : I’m coming at you!

The rest of the pitch just takes care of itself.

Coach B.

Thanks for the advice, I see what your getting at, but how do I work on it?
I think if I work on not closing myself off and striding straight it will eliminate the “falling over”, which does hurt my accuracy. As for the “popping up” though, is it just a matter of following through or is it something bigger, and there again, how do I work on it.

Thanks again for taking the time though,  It means a lot.

are you getting people out, and what is your off-speed pitch if you are mid-80’s @ 18. it needs to be dominant.

I have a pretty good c-change that dives down and in on a righty, and then a k-curve which is average. When I’m locating my fastball and keeping it down I don’t usually have too many issues.

In addition to Coach B’s excellent comments, what I see is a lazy lower body drive. In fact, it’s not a drive at all with the lower body, it’s a careful and deliberate placement of the front foot on a spot. I’d suggest a mental thought of creating some overall momentum toward the plate by moving the front hip sideways for a longer period of time. Combine that with Coach B’s recommendation re: the head and see where things go.

Oh, and most things look good but show a bit more “intent”, as Nyman puts it.

dm, you and Coach B and a couple of other folks have hit the nail dead on target. One thing a pitcher absolutely has to do is get his/her entire body into the action! Driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, is how one generates the power behind the pitches—and takes a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so that one can throw harder (and faster) with less effort: how not to get a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else.
I learned this a long time ago, in my playing days, and I like to call it “The Secret”. I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would sit in the upper deck behind the plate and watch the pitchers at practice and in games. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—were all doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body in
this way. I watched them, and I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential—and indeed it IS essential—aspect of good mechanics I found myself doing what they were doing, and I was throwing harder, if not exactly faster (I was a snake-jazzer, a finesse pitcher with not much on speed), with less effort—it felt as if my arm and shoulder were just going along for the ride, and my natural sidearm delivery seemed to get more pop into it.
Later on, when as a result of my curiosity about the slider I met Ed Lopat, he saw what I was doing and helped me refine the move. What an incredible pitching coach he was! he saw where I was coming from and that I was really interested and wanted to know, so he decided to take me in hand, work with me and help me all he could, and because of this I became a more effective pitcher, both as a starter and as a reliever between starts—and I never lost a game. Anyhoo—that is “The Secret”, and this is something every pitcher should be doing. 8) :slight_smile: