17 yr old mechanics

Thanks jd. Those are some good ideas. Like I said, I wouldn’t have him work on this stuff until after the showcase. Also, he does have a private pitching coach that he has been seeing since he was around 9. The guys works for the Red Sox organization now, so he is only in town in December and January. When he is in town, we usually work on drills to get his momentum going forward. He also has a pitching coach on his travel team who generally works on the same with him. This theme of too much rotation, not having all his momentum going towards the target and arm drag have been a theme for a while. It is his particular demon. I really do appreciate the ideas you all have given.

We’ll start during January on one thing - probably either the counter rotation or later hand break and hopefully he will have mastered that one thing by the time the HS season starts. And you are right. I won’t be hounding any of his coaches about what I think he needs to work on. I do talk with him about what the coaches are suggesting to him and have yet to think that they are off base. They all want him to do the same. It’s really a matter of finding the right trigger for him that takes hold. I sometimes think they don’t want to change him too much, because he is very effective. Has tons of movement on his pitches and really does spot well.

I’ll check in again after next week.

While I agree that you don’t want any pauses in the arm’s motion, I believe there are other ways of dealing with it than directly dictating what the arm should do or what path it should take. Think of it this way: the timing of the arm’s motion needs to fit into the timing of the overall delivery. And the timing of the overall delivery is established by the lower half by how fast or slow it gets the body moving down the hill. If the arm is taking too short of a path and getting into the cocked position early and having to pause (and I’m not saying it is), then instead of doing something to slow down the arm or otherwise make it take more time, consider using the lower half to get going faster thereby reducing the amount of time the arm motion needs to fill.

Hello Bballman…

I have read through most of the posts and just thought you could consider one thing before you start doing all the different types of mechanical improvements…

I agree his arm action is definitely not the most efficient way to produce velo and he does get to the high-cocked position prematurely…may have heard the conventional wisdom stuff of ball to the sky or get the ball out early and get it into position to throw early…

I would go a different path then most though with this one…

It is tough to see with the angle of video you show here but for me I would want to see him from the side…

If you look at his video I would guarantee he is not moving toward home plate when he lifts his lead leg…if you watch video of the best in the game there is always momentum moving towards home plate right when the foot initially leaves the ground to begin the leg lift…some have a lot of movement home (Tom Seaver, Ferguson Jenkins) and some do it way more deliberately (John Lackey, Roger Clemens) but they all move right when the front foot comes off the ground…check that out and see what your pitcher does…

I am guessing it takes him at least 20 or more frames for him to start moving forward once his lead leg/foot comes off the ground…with the lack of initial momentum it causes a lot of the other things that are being discussed in this forum…so for me, I would test out the initial momentum first, then go to posture and you will probably be done after that…the arm action thing could be worked on as well but that may be more trouble then help…sometimes initial momentum will clean up some troubles with arm action so go that route first…

Ok, that’s all…I know you have gotten a lot of info from a lot of people here and I really tried not to bud in on this one…

OK, here is the video from the side from the PG event a couple of weeks ago. He topped out at 86 at this event. Hadn’t thrown off a mound since the outing I posted for the previous evaluations. That had been about 2 1/2 weeks prior to this event. He did long toss, but no mound work. Anyway, here it is from the side:

Hello bballman,

I looked at the video at the top of this reply…I read some of the reply’s…then I looked at the new video…to be honest with you I see a lot more going well for your son right now then wrong…

He actually moves toward home a bit better then I thought although he still could be better with his initial momentum…

So for me, I would work on some initial momentum and understanding how to move the middle of his body (without it being lazy or just falling) to create that early momentum…

The posture is pretty good although in the slow-mo video all the way at the top you can see how he is chicken winging just a bit with his front side arm/glove…but it really is not that bad…

He has arm symmetry (even thought it wouldn’t be a typical position, most would want to see the opposite) He blocks ok with his front side…his front loeg has pretty good positioning…he leaves the glove out in front of him to stabilize at release point…he is in a pretty good position at foot plant (not the best but we are talking maybe a frame off if that)

I like his finish…I like that he continues to rotate through the finish and falls off to the first base side…the more time he gives his arm to decelerate the more healthy he will remain…also, by him continuing the rotation at release and post-release, it tells me he does have the hip and shoulder separation he needs to create some torque…rotation is power so don’t make him a linear finisher…it is all about where he is at into and at release point, not after…so don’t be worried there…but again I like his hip and shoulder separation and he must be creating some sort of torque or he wouldn’t even be touching 80…

So, again, for me, start with the initial momentum and see what happens…I would stick with everything else for now…IMO

Thanks Doug. I’ll have him try to start his move forward earlier during his upcoming bullpens and see how he does with that.

When you say “chicken winging”, I assume you mean that he is pulling with his front elbow and starting his shoulder rotation too early? If that is what you are saying, I agree with that as well as I think he does “spin off” a little too much. I am constantly working with him on keeping that glove side up longer and keeping the front shoulder closed as long as possible.

Once again, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

No problem bballman…and yes with the chicken winging I am referring to him going a little too much east to west with his front side rather then getting a little more north to south when the time is needed…kind of like a ferris wheel but at an angle similar to his arm slot…if he can get the feeling of staying behind and through the ball, rather then going around the ball, that will be best…but again it is not a huge issue for me…he is doing it but not bad enough to ruin his delivery, he just needs to be a bit more aware of that feeling of finishing through rather then around…if that makes any sense at all…lol

More then welcome to check out the free links below…my youtube channel has some clips on using the middle part of the body better…

Thanks…good luck!!!