17 yr old Junior in High School Mechanics

Please help! Thanks a lot!

You look really solid, my only comment is that it looks like you still have more explosive energy in your hips that you aren’t using yet. Sometimes your mechanics aren’t exactly the same too, front foot plants a little more open then other times, I don’t think this is because of the pitch type but that you open a little early on those throws.

First thing to make you more explosive is just focus on your foot strike and turning the trunk faster.

You look great and I think you have more mPH just in the hips alone, Good Luck

I would have to agree with the above post.

I think you can use a lot more power by using your hips and legs more explosively. You have a nice leg lift, but being explosive can give you more perceived and actual velocity.

Also, it appears your foot lands more open than I think is optimal. One ASMI study showed that by opening up the front foot you begin to place excess force on the shoulder, where if you have up to a 10 degree closed landing, those forces are taken off the shoulder. So focus on driving to the plate, and getting that to facing more where you want to throw the ball.

Thanks guys a lot, I have been thinking about that foot and have tried stepping more straight but I feel like I am stopping my motion if I step straight and I feel like I have more momentum, more torque, and more follow through when I step slightly open. I don’t know, I know the books say differently.

And one more thing, does anyone have any guesses as to if you think I could play D1, D2, or D3? Thanks again.

[quote=“ZBoyle”]Thanks guys a lot, I have been thinking about that foot and have tried stepping more straight but I feel like I am stopping my motion if I step straight and I feel like I have more momentum, more torque, and more follow through when I step slightly open. I don’t know, I know the books say differently.

And one more thing, does anyone have any guesses as to if you think I could play D1, D2, or D3? Thanks again.[/quote]
If you are in the low 80’s, D2-D3. If you can gain more mph by learning to use the lower half more explosively, around 87-89, that would be more D1 material. Honestly, shoot high by going to showcases and the like, but have a backup plan where you know that you are getting looked at.

[quote=“ZBoyle”]Thanks guys a lot, I have been thinking about that foot and have tried stepping more straight but I feel like I am stopping my motion if I step straight and I feel like I have more momentum, more torque, and more follow through when I step slightly open. I don’t know, I know the books say differently.

And one more thing, does anyone have any guesses as to if you think I could play D1, D2, or D3? Thanks again.[/quote]

Are your radar gun readings with a JUGS or a Stalker? In the north, I’ve played with pitchers who top out at 84-85 on a Stalker go to smaller D1 schools. I’ve also played with guys who are 82-83 on a Stalker go D2.

is your catcher chase gunderson? i’ve played ball with him.

Woah! Yeah he is. He’s not the guy catching for me in this video but he caught a bullpen of mine today! Are you from Minnesota? Where did you play ball with him?

if you’re looking to add mph and already have pretty solid mechanics (as you do) then working on your strength and explosiveness is the answer. I can see you sitting in the 85-88 range if you put on 15lbs of muscle and start trying to throw the crap out of the ball.

he is solid behind the plate! i’m from fargo and he’s caught me a few times.

Thanks a lot

Yeah he is solid at the plate too. I was just up at Fargo visiting NDSU. Trying hard to play for them in two years.

Another Minnesotan, thats where I’m from. Look solid, you could use some more leg drive. This will help lead you in a more direct line to the plate and have your landing foot more consistent.