17- year old Mechanics Analysis

Hello everyone. I have been working really hard on my mechanics lately, mostly my back leg force vector angle, as well as keeping my lead leg closed as along as possible.

I am 5 ft 8 and 175 lbs.

I do not know where my velocity is as of now, i was clocked at 82 mph in June.

i will take any criticism happily!

I think your glove side is too short and to quick. I’d like to see you get the glove arm extended more into an “equal and opposite” position to see the effect on the timing of your shoulder rotation. Taking the time to extend the glove arm further should allow you to delay shoulder rotation and rotate later. This should also let your release point happen further out front.

Yes, what he said :wink: I call this the ‘Nemo’ position with one stunted flipper.

First video I’ve seen in a while where the pitcher actually gets going forward instead of twisting around their pivot leg. I like it. Do a search in the forums for some of my wall drill posts. I think, in conjunction with getting your stunted flipper down the target line, it could also help to get your left hip further down the target line at the top of your lift.

So extending my glove side arm and keeping it firm would allow my hips to continue to rotate before my front foot lands? This would increase my hip to shoulder separation correct?

Coach Paul, what do you mean regarding your wall drills? Do you mean like The hershiser drill

Roger, by extending the release point farther out would that create an early internal rotation, protecting my elbow more?

I would describe it as making your glove arm take a little longer to do its thing. While the glove arm is doing its thing, guess what? The shoulders are staying closed longer! And that gives the hips more time to fully rotate resulting in more separation.

Delaying shoulder rotation is what will protect the elbow since the arm won’t have to incur the wear and tear of playing catch-up. A release point out front will give the batter less time to see the ball and it should improve movement on breaking pitches.

By wall drill I mean starting from the set position with the outside of your pivot foot and your throwing shoulder against the wall. Cross your arms across your chest. From this position, execute your lift. If you bounce off the wall, your first move is backward–which is what we are trying to eliminate. This drill will teach your body to lift while also moving toward home plate and away from the wall. Focus on getting your maximum lift and getting front side distance from the wall. Do this for 30 clean reps per day. Progress from arms crossed to an equal and opposite position. Again, make sure your hand does not touch the wall and do this for 30 reps per day. Then progress to dry throwing from the wall.

For one, you land with your toe pointed to home plate, which means your hips are completely open – thus, you’ve already committed all of the power of your lower half before getting the ball to the “launch” position.

Second, at foot strike, your chin is tilted up, causing your right elbow to be below your shoulder. At this position you will be fighting gravity – throwing uphill – instead of using the benefit of the mound and leverage to your advantage.

That said, try to keep your front toe somewhat closed – just as you would as a hitter – and land with your toes at around a 45-degree angle to home plate. This will keep your hips closed at foot strike. Also, keep your chin tucked down on your front shoulder and concentrate on keeping the shoulders level throughout your motion. Stay tall as long as possible and think about falling down from that tall position. Those two things should start to get your lower half involved in the pitch; as it stands now, based on that one-pitch video, almost all of the force applied to the ball is coming from your arm.

Roger- thank you

Coach paul- awesome drill! Have to do this one a lot becuase the pitching coach for our team makes us do all these balance drills, very counter productive.

Joe- thank you very much for your tips

Question… If my foot is at 45 degrees at landing, how will my hips ever open up, thus creating the seperation between my hips and shoulder?

Landing at a 30-45 degree closed angle is perfect because when your hips turn, the force of it will turn your toes down the target line. Landing straight on or open, prematurely turns the hips and reduces hip/shoulder separation. The key is also being on your toes when the back hip comes around, otherwise the weight will shift to the outside of the plant foot and prevent the full hip rotation.

Joe- do you think motte does a good job with his chin on his right shoulder on frame 53?

And coach Paul, would jason motte at frame 57 be a good example of this?

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Analyses/JasonMotte.html

yes, frame 57 (through his equal and opposite position) is a good visual of this. what motte does after frame 57 is not ideal, but as the article says, he has overall solid mechanics.

You will notice that his weight shifts to the first base side due to his head tilt. since the head is the heaviest thing on your body, he’s falling off in that direction. Notice from 57 forward that as he comes forward and through delivery, his weight never gets on his toes, it’s misdirected over the outside of his plant foot and his plant foot heel. at the end, he’s almost pivoting on his heel instead of getting his toes to turn to the left, as it should be ideally.