17 year old LHP front leg help

Hey guys here is the most recent video of me throwing against the Reno Muckdogs 19u team.

I could use some help with my front plant leg and i keep on having the tendency to break my knee instead of coming over the front foot.

Comments much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

What are you trying to improve, I don’t know if making that adjustment is going to make a specific improvement in your mechanics. Your mechanics look really solid and just to make a mechanical change for mechanics only is a little nuts.

Well its something that I have been trying to fix for awhile, when I move my momentum over my leg it collapses and should be locked so I can bring my momentum straight over the top.

Watch at 23:01, when I drive my momentum over the top my leg is completely collapsed and should be locked out.

you’re definitely not putting any weight over your front leg. it seems like you are fighting your own weight. i think its a mental barrier more than anything

If you want to fix what happens toward the end of your delivery, you need to look at the flaws in the beginning. Here are some of the things I see from this angle:

1. Posture - you need to start taller; get your torso straight up and down. Currently, you are sandwiched at the waist.

2. Your arms are breaking too far away from your body. Get your arms in close and keep your shoulders and elbows relaxed. Notice how you wing your elbows out right at hand break. Keep your elbows down by your sides and break your hands down by your belt buckle. Your arms should move down, back and up; you also want to get your arms stretched out - don’t tuck your glove in so tightly so quickly. You also might want to consider pulling it in toward your hip instead of your chest - it allows your torso to rotate with a faster, fuller range of motion.

3. If you stay taller and keep your arms in closer to your body, you will probably find that you will be able to get out over your front leg better. Currently, not only does the leg collapse, but your landing foot doesn’t stay planted - it twists in the dirt.

[quote=“djedmondo”]Well its something that I have been trying to fix for awhile, when I move my momentum over my leg it collapses and should be locked so I can bring my momentum straight over the top.

Watch at 23:01, when I drive my momentum over the top my leg is completely collapsed and should be locked out.[/quote]
The reason your leg collapses and your front foot twists in the dirt is because your center of gravity is moving in a direction to the glove side of the target you’re throwing to instead of towards the target. Your leg doesn’t have the strength to support your weight moving in a direction that is not offline from the position of your front leg. Some pitchers that do this will point the knee in the direction their weight is going while others twit the front foot after it plants (like you). So, backing up in your delivery, your weight gets moving to the glove side due partly to your postural shift during your delivery (head and spine tilting to the glove side) and partly to your stabilizing your glove outside your body (on the glove side).

One thing that can help reduce the postural shift is to move your starting position to the glove side of the rubber. And stabilizing the glove in front of your torso starts with getting the front arm to an “equal and opposite” position with the throwing arm meaning and being there as close to front foot plant as possible.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean when you say your leg should be “locked out”. You should be planting on a bent front leg, it should firm up and brace, and then as you release the ball and follow through it will straighten out.

You also need to finish with your throwing arm to the outside of your front leg. Notice how you arm finishes in the center of your body.

Latest pictures, working on my follow through and getting on top of the ball. Threw 3 innings of shutout ball, 1 walk, 4ks. We won 7-0

Newest to Oldest

Newest=Top
Oldest=Bottom