17 year old lefty elbow soreness

Hey guys,

I recently have taken the last few months off to rest up for my Senior year, and summer season with the California Smoke.

I threw about a 35 pitch bullpen on Wednesday and my inner elbow has started to bother me again. I have been icing everyday to keep the inflammation down.

I need to learn how to start throwing with my shoulder and not my elbow. Do you guys have any suggestions to comply with my problem?

First, post some video to get your mechanics checked.

Next, did you ease your way back into things after your layoff or did you immediately start pitching?

Finally, getting back to mechanics, check for early shoulder rotation. Your shoulders should remain closed and not rotate until after foot plant.

Here is the most recent video of me throwing.

Yes i eased back into working out and throwing.

Try to stop your video at ball release and look at your posture. Your head and spine are tilted fairly significantly. Also notice how your front foot somtimes pivots further after you release the ball? I believe it’s adjusting to align itself with the direction your center of gravity is going.

I also note that you pitch from the throwing hand side of the rubber, you stride slightly to that side as well, and your drag line - if you had one - would run to that side too. Since your shoulders want to square up to the target you’re throwing at, all of these things combine to make you more likely tilt to the side in an attempt to square up.

My suggestion is to clean up your posture and see if that takes some of the stress off the arm. Start by pitching from the glove side of the arm. This is a “freebie” in that you don’t have to try to change anything about how you throw the ball.

I realize your coach may have taught you to “get on top” and throw in a “downward plane”. He may have also taught you to throw from the left side of the rubber to “create angle”. These things just aren’t worth it if it affects your performance and health.

Ok I will try to work on that, I also really need to focus on staying straight up instead of tilting, I think if I just focus on tilting the opposite way I will be more straight.

First cue I usually use is “keep the eyes level”. I might also stand next to the pitcher and hold my hand next to his head such that any tilt causes his head to hit my hand. Last resort is to tell the pitcher to try to throw sidearm.

But, like I said previously, try moving your starting position on the rubber and see what effect that has on your posture.

Djedmondo, you mentioned that you need to start throwing more with your shoulder and not so much with the arm—and therein lies a major problem. Most pitchers run into trouble when they throw with just the arm or the shoulder or both, when what they really need to do is get the whole body into the action. This is what I call “The Secret”—something I learned a long time ago when I was really getting into the game.
I learned this when I went to the games at Yankee Stadium (the original ballpark) and watched the Yanks’ Big Three pitching rotation. They were all doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion, and this was how they were generating the power behind their pitches—not to mention throwing harder and faster because they were taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder. Even Ed Lopat, who was by no means a fireballer, was doing this. The arm and the shoulder were just going along for the ride, which made for a smoother delivery and at the same time more snap and sizzle. I saw how they were doing this, and I made a mental note of it and started working on it on my own.
As I practiced this essential—and believe me, it is essential—aspect of good mechanics, I found myself doing the same thing they were, and even though I was strictly a finesse pitcher with not much on speed I too was throwing harder with less effort. I was a natural sidearmer, and when I picked up the crossfire—this is a move that works only with the sidearm delivery—I found it to be an absolutely lethal addition to my arsenal. I continued to practice and refine this get-the-whole-body-involved motion, and it served me very well for some twenty years.
There are some drills and exercises you can do, to be found on this website; one of the best is the so-called “Hershiser” drill which focuses on getting the hips fully involved—and in the process, it will greatly help your posture. And I would strongly advise you to do some throwing every day, whether it be just playing catch or doing a full bullpen session—this will keep your arm and shoulder loose and flexible and help you avoid injuries. All you need is a good catcher with a mitt and maybe a mask.
Hope this helps. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

Hey guys,

here is a fresh video of me playing catch. I took a deep look at the video in slow motion, and it seems to me like my mechanics are getting back to normal. Hopefully my arm will start to feel better!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61_luAqu5CM

Something I noticed in this, right at 30 seconds you can see you throwing and there is tilt while you throw. You leave your elbow above shoulder level and this can cause a lot of elbow stress. You can see it happen multiple times in the video.