17 year old. Completely new and sucking at pitching

I used to play baseball when I was about 8 years old. I stopped at about 10. Recently I started watching baseball again and I got back into it. I got a glove since I sold my old one, picked up a ball, went to my school bullpen and started throwing. I have to say I completely suck. I’m clocking in at about 55 MPH on a mound, 51 MPH on flat ground.

One of the pitching coaches in my school is helping me a little bit but he’s busy. I’m not interested in joining the baseball team right now since I have so much to work on. I started watching some tips on mechanics but the thing is, I don’t have a very solid foundation. No one has taught me mechanics from beginning to end so maybe I could get some help here.

So, here’s my video, don’t be afraid to critique it because I’m going to need it big time. But I’d like to maybe get some tips rather than just pointing out what I’m doing wrong. I’d like more "To stay closed do…"
or “To get a longer stride try…” instead of “You’re using too much arm” or “You’re not using your lower body at all.” Drills would be nice.

I know for a fact that I’m using too much arm and not enough to maybe 0% lower/upper body mechanics.

I’ll probably get some video of me on a mound tomorrow. For now, here’s me on flat ground.

3 Normal Speed. Then same 3 slowed down.

So thank you in advance. I hope it’s not too much to ask for.

Good early morning, “new to pitching”.
Just because you’re new to pitching doesn’t mean you suck at it. It means you’re inexperienced at it and need to learn the fundamentals—the basics. You’re probably going to get all sorts of advice and tips from just about everyone on this site and so you’ll have to sort things out and pick a starting point. I can help a little, and I will.
First things first—your arm slot. What type of pitcher do you consider yourself to be—how do you throw, over the top, three-quarters, sidearm, or somewhere in between? You need to find something you’re comfortable with and that will enable you to pitch effectively—and stay with it.
Next, you say you’ve been told by several sources that you’re doing something wrong, that you don’t use your lower body enough, blah blah blah. Let’s start with that. You need to get your entire body involved in the process of pitching. What many major league pitchers do is, they drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that is how they generate the power behind their pitches. In doing this they generate a nonstop flow of energy from the bottom all the way up through the shoulder and arm to the fingertips, with the result that they take a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder and thus can throw harder with less effort. It takes work, but it’s not as difficult as it sounds. There are several exercises you can do, and one of the best is something called the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved—and the hips are the central point, the key to the whole process. It requires no special equipment, just a fence or a wall, and you can find the instructions in how to do it on this website.
There are some other elements, such as posture, balance, control of the glove, and you can probably find a good pitching coach to help you with them. This should do for a start, I think, and if you have any more questions this website is loaded with pitchers and pitching coaches—I’m just one—who will be glad to offer advice and assistance. So go to it, and best of luck! 8)

Hey there. Thanks for the tips. I consider myself to be an over the top pitcher.

Okay. You’re an over-the-top pitcher. There are things you can do to make the most of it without screwing up your arm. The most important are these: build up and maintain your arm strength, and build up and maintain your core strength (the legs, the hips and the torso) Really good mechanics are the key to all this, and you have to get at it and work your butt off. I would suggest that you get together with a good pitching coach—in your case, preferably an outsider, perhaps a high-level pro who really knows his elbow from third base, and work with him and have him show you how to make the most of what you have and can do. 8)

Thank you. I’m doing weight training right now and have mainly been focusing on flexibility, core, and upper body strength. I’ll work on lower body on days I’m not doing upper body. I’ll try to find a good coach.

Again, thank you.

Okay. Here’s some of me on a mound. I was a bit rushed today and I noticed I didn’t get a high leg lift. Here’s one in normal speed and slow motion