17 Year Old, 6'3" RHP

Thanks for any advice on mechanics. Particularly if you see anything that is reducing velocity.

I don’t see you generating much momentum from your lower body. I’d like to see more forward movement from your hips as you lift your stride leg. Most high level, hard throwers move aggressively toward home plate as their stride foot comes off the ground.

For good examples check out video clips on this site of Nolan Ryan and Tim Lincecum. If you think this is only a new phenomenon check out Sandy Koufax and Dizzy Dean.

When I was a kid I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers, both during pregame practice and in the game itself. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation—Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat—were all doing the same thing; they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches—not to mention that doing this took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so they seemed to go along for the ride. I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it myself. As I practiced this essential aspect of good mechanics—and believe me, it is essential—I discovered that not only was I getting more power into my pitches, I was throwing harder and faster than I had been doing, with less effort. (I ended up with a good 81MPH four-seamer which I added to my collection of breaking pitches.) My arm and shoulder were indeed just going along for the ride.
And a bit later Ed Lopat—what an incredible pitching coach he was!—helped me, a 5’4", 125-pound righthanded sidearmer, refine this move.
And not a sore arm or sore anything else in the bunch. So-o-o----this is what you really need to do: get your whole body into the action. It will help both your velocity and your control. :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

man you need to do yourself a favor and just practice wipping your arm in front of the mirror. Do it with good form by aggressively striding and landing and throwing your hand with a wip action as hard as you can out front. Remember the last force you put on the ball is at the very last moment your wrist snaps and channels all that energy you’ve generated to the ball. Apply all of your force directly at the target, but do it right. Shove yourself down the mound aggressively and land with your foot facing your target. Your arm will naturally lay back and you’ll be able to wip it hard and see your natural scapula load. Finish with that wrist snap way out front. The hard part is having the core strength to back this up with a powerful leg kick shifting your weight over your front foot with the back foot flying up. If you watch most guys they can’t make this turn athletically and just simply land off balance and can’t explode that back leg over they’re front leg. You should land with open hips and closed shoulders and wip your arm through as hard as you can with all your weight out front. The best is Nolan Ryan watch him for rhythm and wip arm action out front and mark how far his wrist gets. It’s a lot like the feeling of skipping rocks, except its downhill and directly at the target and you wip your arm through after your front foot lands.