17 y/o Lefty Appreciate some critics/advic

Good morning and thank you for taking the time to review my mechanics and see how can I improve. For the most part I am pretty consistent with staying around the plate and not walking batters (about 1 per game). I am not a strike out type pitcher but more of a ground ball pitcher. But on occasions I find myself more off the plate throwing pitches (curveball, slider) to the right-handed batters at their feet or really inside (brush pitch). To left-handed batters I am away in these occasions.

I would really appreciate any advice on my mechanics that you see I could improve on to make me a better pitcher.

Thank you again and God Bless for your time and expert

Fastballs

from 2nd Base

Behind Home Plate:

I did not have a catcher at the time and just used a backstop.

jrns281,

“see how can I improve”

Athletes, parents and coaches seek Velocity, command & control. Rarely do they seek mitigation of the injurious mechanics (pathomechanics) they have produced. What are you looking for?

“ For the most part I am pretty consistent with staying around the plate and not walking batters (about 1 per game).”

It is known that pitchers who are over the plate and do not live on the edge create higher ERA’s.

Do you throw purpose pitches that are voluntarily close balls yet?

“ I am not a strike out type pitcher but more of a ground ball pitcher.”

You produce a traditional arsenal (Forearm drive and release) in supination that is only ½ the game you could have by moving the ball laterally in the opposite direction also and attain many more strike outs and less hard contact. Here is your first recommendation. Throw all forearm pronated pitch types! This is vitally important to your health and training.

“I would really appreciate any advice on my mechanics that you see I could improve on to make me a better pitcher.”

I will critique your approach by the injurious flaws you produce. If you choose to mitigate them for your health, it will also greatly improve your performances and ability to “sport specifically” train.

1. When you gather up at the start of your delivery you immediately “over counter rotate” your shoulders and Humerus by dropping the ball arm down and remaining forearm pronated with a pause at the bottom.

This action puts you into a gateway pathomechanical position to be able to recover back to straight from that will first cause “laxity” in your shoulders Glenno Humeral ligaments, this is the cause of dead arm. You won’t feel it because Ligaments have no pain receptors. As Laxity increases it allows the head of the Humerus to get further and further away from centered in it’s Fossa. This dislocating action if bad enough, micro tears the Labrum at the periphery of the Fossa like a mortar and Pestle, nobody really recovers from this!

Avoid it by counter rotating no further than your shoulders and Humerus alignment with the field driveline (imaginary line on the ground between second and your target). watch younger Grienke.

1. Your exaggerated counter rotation has you now striding and landing on the ball arm side of the driveline.

Better to land the way we walk ,trot and run by stepping the the glove arm side of home plate heel to ball to toes.

You stride is very long, it’s the full length of your body. The longer you stride the lower you drop the lesser your down wards plain on the ball. The recovery action of a long stride has you lift your back leg up in the air causing loss of body rotational speeds by rotating off the back leg and not the front. This puts you into a traditionally poor defensive posture on one leg at contact.

Shorten the stride any amount, stay tall, drive tall and recover tall by rotating fast off the glove side leg by pulling back against your glove side leg then landing in a “drop step position”.

You extend your glove knee well, it’s a big part of rotational ability.

1. When you break your hands to pendulum swing, your arm disappears behind your back as I said (Hyper horizontally abducted) then pauses with your hand on top of the ball. This articulation is the Humeral/Forearm transition. It should sync you up to time your foot plant with arrival of full length in outwards rotation of your Humerus (benchmark). You can’t start forwards movement until your Humerus is fully outwardly rotated. You timing makes you late in this action, another pathomechanic that causes “ vertical Forearm bounce back” that degrades the UCL (over valgus stress) with every rep.

Mitigation comes when you sync up your arrival with your foot plant by actual “equal and opposite” articulation of your arms where when you take your ball arm back it is continually outwardly rotating the Humerus and forearm supinating the ball up to driveline height ( the height of your balls line to the plate) and your glove arm doing the opposite by forearm pronating and inwardly rotation the Humerus just below your vision with both Elbows slightly bent.

1. Throw all Forearm pronated pitch types where your all ready upwardly moving (very good) Elbow has your ball thumb driving down. All pitch types can be thrown pronated or supinated. Watch your Slider and cutter greatly improve when you learn the pronated version.
    This is HUGE !!! Forearm supinated pitch types crash your Elbow together ballistically that causes first inflammation then loss of range of motion in each direction you will never get back, then much worse.

You are young and have time to gradually make these changes.