16yrs- 6'2 180lb

I need some feedback on my mechanics please. I can only get up to about 77 with my fastball, and I know I should be growing a lot harder for my size. Does anybody see anythif that is a velocity killer and anything that might be causing my bicep pain?

Hm things look OK. Does your full wind up give you more power then from the stretch? It should.

[quote=“plaz”]Hm things look OK. Does your full wind up give you more power then from the stretch? It should.[/quote] I know it should, but now that I think of it, I feel like I get more power from my legs with the stretch than windup. Wonder why it could be

At the end of your deliver, control that pivot leg more, keeping it stretched out more that whipping up and recoiling. That recoiling action puts a strain on the hamstring of the pivot leg in addition to “tweaking” the lumbar muscles in the small of the back and spine.

Your pitching cycle looks very strong and well proportioned. You do have a tendency to pick your head up trying to see where your pitch is going - try and restrain yourself from this motion. Finish you complete pitching cycle, regardless if its from the windup or the set motion.

Also, with respect to your whipping action of that pivot leg - if you feel a momentary need to rub your stride knee just above your kneecap, it’s that whipping action of your pivot leg that twists the muscles in your thigh of your stride leg that sends a small twisting action on those thigh muscles. Now that’s nothing serious, just a distraction you don’t need. And it’s not all that noticeable now, but it will be in the near future.

With respect to your pain issue, that video is too far back to get a good look-see of your upper body and any motion that would contribute to that pain.

When analyzing any kind of arm and shoulder progress, always take a side view shot and a back view shot -both shots from the waist on up. Don’t move the camera around, and try and put your camera on a tripod, and don’t use the slow motion feature on your camera. Make sure your video is done in good light, without shadows and never at night or the setting sun behind you with the setting sun facing into the camera.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]With respect to your pain issue, that video is too far back to get a good look-see of your upper body and any motion that would contribute to that pain.

When analyzing any kind of arm and shoulder progress, always take a side view shot and a back view shot -both shots from the waist on up. Don’t move the camera around, and try and put your camera on a tripod, and don’t use the slow motion feature on your camera. Make sure your video is done in good light, without shadows and never at night or the setting sun behind you with the setting sun facing into the camera.[/quote] Is this a better view? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnCPcmWHCI

That side view is way too far back. Take your video camera and bring it a lot closer, say about 15 feet away from you.

It’s not all that important to see the entire pitching cycle from beginning to end. The key viewing that I’m interested in is the part where you bring the pitching arm from the breaking of the hands - to the high cocked position - to the pitching arm’s forward motion with your stride.

Again, try and put your camera about 15 feet from you and focus that camera on the side, then in back of you.

A few questions for you:

• is that pain only after you’ve completed a full presence on the mound?
  • is that pain experienced at a certain point during your presence on the mound… like after the second inning of work?
  • is that pain only after pitching a certain series of pitches?
  • is that pain only after pitching a certain combination of pitches / like four seam, then a slider, then another slider, then a four seam, etc. ?
  • are you in the process of learning a new pitch? The reason for me asking that is because it’s not all that unusual to experience discomfort and sometimes pain in the shoulder and arm when learning the split finger and fork ball. I’ve had pitchers well into their late 20’s experience discomfort and even some pain - especially with the split finger pitch.
  • is that pain accompanied by any stiffness in the back of the neck?
  • do you play any other sport(s) that require arm action with your pitching arm?
  • do you take a hot shower, rub down with liniment, and rest at least three (3) days after an appearance?
  • and finally, do you pitch only heat (fastballs)?