16 yo LHP slow mo video

Side view

Back view, first one is a fastball the next two are curveballs

I see some nice stuff, you are way loose on the glove side though.
I’m a porto-mound hater…but whattaya gonna do :roll: ? Got to get your work in, it’s just bad business to “really” analyze your mechanics based on tennis shoes and your stride foot hitting flat ground.
Are you having any specific issues right now?
My recommendations are pretty standard for a guy your size with a desire to get to the next level…(Grades 1st) conditioning your entire body, eating well everyday, focus on those things as the spring board to get to higher speeds and better control, you have to throw a lot so the vitality of your body is key…rest is a part of that and so is learning proper arm care.
You need to keep your delivery as efficient as possible if you want to carry the huge load your going to start to pick-up… extraneous motions sap energy.
You have to put in the time…to get the quality product that will elevate you…It’s why from time to time on the forums you’ll see regular posters point to Lanky Lefties log…he chronicalled his efforts to get to the next level, it’s a nice blue print of how much effort he had to go through to get to the ACC. Comparable effort and energy will be beneficial in your journey.

Yeah, I don’t like turf mounds either,but it had just stormed and was like 35-40 degrees. Can you elaborate on the glove side being too loose? I assume you mean I don’t really load my scap on that side. Also I would like to get more forward trunk flexion because I feel my delivery is a bit too upright, but I feel like I get good momentum so idk. As for the grades I have around a 3.5 GPA and got a 26 on my practice ACT (Which I’ve heard is harder than the real one) so I don’t really know where that puts me in the eyes of colleges.

Right on with the grades…! :bigtup: :bigtup:

What I mean is you sling the glove fairly aggressively, it makes you fight for balance, which takes energy away from homeward delivery, later in a game it can/will effect accuracy. Really instead of working mechanics seriously this second, work on the conditioning/fortification aspect…throw a bunch but work on strength…the reason I say this is, if you work on a mech as the sole focus, you’ll have to adjust it again with strength, weight or size differences anyway.
Concentrate on repeatable mechs that are efficient, but build yourself up…your mechs are imo non-injurious (Except for the slinging glove) for the purposes of body and pitching development (Head still, hand behind the ball, arm action seems to flow, you have intent in your delivery…all good stuff)…so build a serious base, you’ll need to expend a bunch of time in your efforts but you sure have the raw material to get there.

I understand the strength and conditioning aspect for the most part. Mostly work on posterior chain strength and good scapular function/strength. In the past 5 months or so I’ve went from about 150 to 165-170 but I know I could easily get to 190 and still be athletic with my frame.

Exactly…and really nice growth numbers…now figure…each spurt would mean adjust mechs…keep it in the road and build…the thing is, you’ll need it, big time…college game load is a huge shock…prepare now like you are going to be there…and you will 8)

JD, I would like to ask you or others for a good opinion of where my stuff is at. Not just my fastball, but secondary pitches as well. Soon I plan to put a video on here of a bullpen just for evaluation purposes. I’d just like to get input as to where my stuff stacks up to not only high school, but college pitchers as well. I think it would help just to know what things to focus on such as movement, sharpness and overall shape of the pitches I throw. I’ve already gotten opinions from my coaches, but more couldn’t hurt. Criticism is greatly appreciated.

I agree with JD on the loose glove - it gets outside your body. Strive to keep it in front. However, I think part of your glove issue starts earlier with posture. You appear to lean back towards 3B during your stride and that likely pulls you open early. So, the glove issue could be caused by the posture issue. To fix the posture issue, maybe try putting some forward bend in your waist in your starting position. Get into a more athletic position.

And I think you could also get your center of gravity moving forward sooner (i.e. before peak of knee lift).

I’d likely go with you Roger on this, if it wasn’t for the stinkin porto-mound…the issue may be those dinky sides which very rapid fall off, force him to fight for balance.

irun, your stuff is difficult to discern from these vids.
My college coach buddies (Well one is a bench coach with the Mets now and the other runs a 6A powerhouse at the beach now that they’ve “retired”) believe that 90% of effectiveness on the mound stems from the pitcher “looking and acting” like a pitcher :shock: having an attack plan on each hitter, carrying yourself like you are in control. Stuff really is what you make it. If you are asking if you can compete on the HS varsity and college level, my answer is yes…but you gotta have the nads to step up, with no fear and take the ball (Which means you have to spend the time to be prepared) one leads to the other.

First of all, you can’t go wrong with proper nutrition, strength work and conditioning. Always solid advice.

The first thing I see in your delivery is how your set position is closed off showing your back toward home. This is starting you off turning your shoulders toward second base and away from home plate. Your body is getting over the rubber and your right leg way behind your body. Base runners will thank you for that, since once your right leg breaks the plane of pivot leg, as they are hoofing to second base. Not to mention, now you have to hurry up and get going the other direction leading to an over-rotation toward 3rd in an attempt to get back down the target line.

I like how, once you get going forward at the top and how you lead with your right hip. The only negative is that it has taken you a long time to get there from first movement and you have moved left and right and not really getting your momentum toward home.

I like the position at foot strike and the initial glove position is not bad. It’s forward of the right knee. Your plant foot is way open and you have over-rotated your hips beyond being square to the target line.

If you could get that over your right foot, all the better. You need to get your weight forward and get up over that right leg. The torso is behind the legs at release and you finish high and away to the 3rd base side.

From the rear view, you can see that your head is off the target line toward the 3rd base side. Your head is very heavy and shifting your balance away from the target. From the rear view, you can also see how far outside your frame the glove is. Notice also, the right foot is way open. The ball is peeling off high and left.

Think of how adjusting a rifle scope works. To move the bullet to the right, you have to adjust the cross hairs to the left. That forces you to bring the muzzle back to the right to compensate and get you on target. What you are doing is essentially moving the cross hairs to the right (your head and glove side) to try to move the ball right which will exaggerate the miss to the left.

As I mentioned above, from the set, you are starting off from a bad position with your right foot closer to first base than your pivot foot. This is forcing you to come back around toward the 3rd base side during your delivery to compensate. This is probably the genesis of your lateral movement toward 3rd base. I’d suggest squaring up at set and perhaps moving your pivot foot a bit toward the center of the rubber. From there, you can get moving down the target line without having to get your weight going toward 3rd base. Without having to shift toward 3rd, more of your weight will be traveling down the target line and there is no need for the front foot to fly open.

I’d suggest throwing with a long stretch of white tape running down the target line from the rubber to the end of your porta-mound. Focus on getting your right hip toward home plate at the top of your lift. No lateral movements. Keep your head and glove side following this target line toward home. The strike foot should be slightly closed–the force of your hip turn will turn your toes down the target line for you. Don’t land with your toes pointing toward the dugout like we see in the videos.

One thing my HS varsity pcoach son just commented was that you are kicking your leg out and not up and down, this looks like the issue (to him) as to why your front side flies out…it’s following the motion/momentum of your lead leg. So think about it from a momentum stand point for a second, all the load you muster is being disappated in a circular fashion instead of it all flowing towards your target.
You can load with it (Lead leg) but keep it flowing towards the target…if you change that aspect it will affect your timing so be aware of that but it will be more efficient.

Heh heh. Have I ever told you how much I hate porto-mounds? :pullinghair: :rant:

Whoa, dude! I seriously would not have you throw off that porto-mound. You may find your body making inappropriate adjustments to try to keep that mound from sliding.

You have an aggressive delivery and you need solid footing beneath you.